Subject: Re: [ietf-nomcom] Sense-of-the-mailing-list call for padding onsmall nominee lists - MUST NOT or SHOULD NOT?

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:50:06 -0400

--On Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:34 AM -0400 "Joel M. Halpern" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>...
> I agree that the wording has to be clear that the nomcom is
> free to add people to the pool at any time, for any reason, on
> any basis it decides.
> My own take on how to handle that is to simply state that if
> individuals are added as nominees later, their names are added
> to the public list. This makes it clear that names can be
> added later, and indicates how that interacts with the
> publication process.

Joel,

With the understanding that I don't have much sympathy for 
someone who wants one of these positions but submits his or her 
name late, if the Nomcom concludes that it has to go recruiting, 
identify a person whom they want to have in the role, and then 
convince him or her to "volunteer", I think there should be as 
few impediments to the person accepting as possible.  That means 
that, if such individuals are reluctant to have their names 
exposed if they are not selected, the Nomcom should have the 
discretion to agree to that restriction.

So "...are added as nominees later, their names are added to the 
public list unless the Nomcom concludes that doing so is not in 
the best interest of the community" works for me.  A firm rule 
does not.

    john