Subject: [ietf-types] Registration of media type application/vnd.iptc.g2.newsmessage+xml

From: "Michael Steidl \(IPTC\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:00:27 +0200

Media Type Name: application

Subtype name: vnd.iptc.g2.newsmessage+xml

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: charset

identical to the charset parameter on application/xml as described

in RFC 3023 [RFC3023] section 3.2

Encoding considerations: Identical to those of application/xml as

described in RFC 3023, section 3.2

Security considerations: In regards to general XML Security issues,

identical to those of "application/xml" as described in RFC3023,

section 10. Beyond these general XML Security issues, the media

type does not contain active or executable content. The information

contained in the media type does not require privacy or integrity

services, however the media type does support the use of the XML

syntax and processing rules for creating and representing digital

signatures as described by RFC3275.

Interoperability considerations:

Published specification:

NewsML-G2 version 2.9 specifications

http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/individual/NewsML-G2_2.9-spec-NewsMessage-Core.xsd

Or

http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/individual/NewsML-G2_2.9-spec-NewsMessage-Power.xsd

Applications which use this media type: none

Additional information:

Magic number(s): none

File extension(s): .xml

Macintosh File Type Code(s): Identical to those of

"application/xml" as described in RFC3023, "TEXT"

Windows Clipboard Flavor Name: "IPTC NewsMessage XML"

Macintosh Uniform Type Identifier: org.iptc.newsmessage conforms to public.xml

Object Identifier(s) or OID(s):

It must be possible to positively identify an Item as it moves

through the news workflow, and is transferred from place to place

and from system to system. An Item therefore gets a globally

unique identifier (guid), which is a persistent, universally unique

identifier, and a version which is incremented when the content of

the Item is updated. The first version is numbered 1: if the version

is not explicitly set, this value must be assumed by the recipient of

the Item. The guid is required to be in the form of a IRI. Any IRI

capable of acting as a globally unique identifier is accepted; the

IPTC provides a standard for this purpose in the form of an IETF RFC

[RFC-3085].

Intended usage:

A News Message is a wrapper of one or more IPTC G2 items for 

distribution and transmission purposes. It provides transmission-specific 

properties in a header which is shared by all included IPTC G2 items.

Other Information/General Comment: none

Person to contact for further information:

Name: Michael Steidl

E-mail: [email-masked]

Author/Change controller:

Name: Michael Steidl

E-mail: [email-masked]

Michael Steidl

Managing Director of the IPTC [[email-masked]]

International Press Telecommunications Council 
Web:  <http://www.iptc.org/> www.iptc.org - on Twitter  <http://www.twitter.com/IPTC> @IPTC

Business office address: 

20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom

Registered in England, company no 101096

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:06:32 +0200

>in RFC 3023 [RFC3023] section 3.2

(I do not think this is an issue, but do note that this does not match
the wording in RFC 3023 section 7.1 exactly.)

>http://www.iptc.org/std/NewsML-G2/2.9/specification/individual/NewsML-G2_2.9-spec-NewsMessage-Power.xsd

I think most people would expect for this field something more like the
"implementation guide" that comes along with version 2.7.

>Applications which use this media type: none

This field is supposed to put the type in some context, like "3d
modeling software".

>E-mail: [email-masked]

This does not quite match the template in RFC 4288, there should be a
field "Person & email address to contact for further information" and a
field "Author:" and a field "Change controller:". Also, it is customary
to write `Michael Steidl <[email-masked]>` instead.
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:49:28 -0400

> File extension(s): .xml

Your users will appreciate a type-specific extension, otherwise
they'll have trouble configuring tools like Web servers that primarily
(or only) use the file extension to indicate the media type.

Mark.