Subject: [ietf-types] Registration for text/event-stream

From: "Michael[tm] Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 20:45:52 +0900

This is a request to register the text/event-stream media type by reference
to the Server-Sent Events specification:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/eventsource/#text-event-stream

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type name:
  text

Subtype name:
  event-stream

Required parameters:
  No parameters

Optional parameters:
  charset
    The charset parameter may be provided. The parameter's value must be
    "utf-8". This parameter serves no purpose; it is only allowed for
    compatibility with legacy servers.

Encoding considerations:
  8bit (always UTF-8)

Security considerations:
  An event stream from an origin distinct from the origin of the content
  consuming the event stream can result in information leakage. To avoid
  this, user agents are required to apply CORS semantics. [CORS]

  Event streams can overwhelm a user agent; a user agent is expected to
  apply suitable restrictions to avoid depleting local resources because of
  an overabundance of information from an event stream.

  Servers can be overwhelmed if a situation develops in which the server is
  causing clients to reconnect rapidly. Servers should use a 5xx status
  code to indicate capacity problems, as this will prevent conforming
  clients from reconnecting automatically.

Interoperability considerations:
  Rules for processing both conforming and non-conforming content are
  defined in the Server-Sent Events specification.

Published specification:
  The Server-Sent Events specification is the relevant specification.

Applications that use this media type:
  Web browsers and tools using Web services.

Additional information:
  Magic number(s):
    No sequence of bytes can uniquely identify an event stream.

  File extension(s):
    No specific file extensions are recommended for this type.

  Macintosh file type code(s):
    No specific Macintosh file type codes are recommended for this type.

Person & email address to contact for further information:
  Michael[tm] Smith <[email-masked]>

Intended usage:
  Common

Restrictions on usage:
  This format is only expected to be used by dynamic open-ended streams
  served using HTTP or a similar protocol. Finite resources are not
  expected to be labeled with this type.

Author:
  Ian Hickson <[email-masked]>

Change controller:
  W3C

Fragment identifiers have no meaning with text/event-stream resources.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
Michael[tm] Smith http://people.w3.org/mike

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:14:07 +0200

On 2012-08-07 13:45, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> ...

I note that this one and text/cache-manifest are different with respect 
to charset; is there a good reason for this?

Best regards, Julian