Subject: [ietf-types] Registration for application/its+xml

From: Felix Sasaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:17:38 +0100

Hello,

This is Appendix B of ITS 2.0

http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-its20-20121206/#its-mime-type

Comments on this registration would be greatly appreciated.

==========
This section defines a MIME type for Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) 
documents. It covers both ITS 1.0 and ITS 2.0.

Type name: application

Subtype name: its+xml

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: charset

This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter of the 
"application/xml" media type as specified in IETF RFC 3023.

Encoding considerations: Identical to those of "application/xml" as 
described in IETF RFC 3023, section 3.2, as applied to an ITS document.

Security considerations: An ITS 1.0 or ITS 2.0 document may cause 
arbitrary URIs or IRIs to be dereferenced, via the @xlink:href attribute 
at the its:rules element. Therefore, the security issues of [RFC3987] 
Section 8 should be considered. In addition, the contents of resources 
identified by file: URIs can in some cases be accessed, processed and 
returned as results. An implementation of ITS global rules requires the 
support of XPath 1.0 or its successor. Hence, processing of global rules 
might encompass dereferencing of URIs or IRIs during computation of 
XPath expressions. Arbitrary recursion is possible, as is arbitrarily 
large memory usage, and implementations may place limits on CPU and 
memory usage, as well as restricting access to system-defined functions. 
ITS 1.0 and ITS 2.0 permit extensions. Hence it is possible that 
application/its+xml may describe content that has security implications 
beyond those described here.

Interoperability considerations: There are no known interoperability 
issues.

Published specification: http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/ 
and http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/.

Any XML document containing ITS 1.0 "its:rules" elements 
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#selection-global can be labeled with 
application/its+xml. 
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/EX-link-external-rules-2.xml Provides an 
example of a document linking to a file with ITS 1.0 and ITS 2.0 
"rules". The link target is at 
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/EX-link-external-rules-1.xml. There is no need 
that the link target has "its:rules" as a root element. The processing 
semantics is that rules are gathered in document order.

Applications that use this media type: This new media type is being 
registered to allow for deployment of ITS 1.0 and ITS 2.0 on the World 
Wide Web., e.g. by localization tools.

Additional information:

     Magic number(s): none

     File extension(s): its

     Macintosh file type code(s): TEXT

Person & email address to contact for further information: World Wide 
Web Consortium <web-human at w3.org>

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage: none

Author / Change controller: The Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) 1.0 
and 2.0 specifications are a work product of the World Wide Web 
Consortium's Internationalization Tag Set Working Group. The W3C has 
change control over this specification.
==========

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 19:37:41 +0900

Hello Felix,

This looks good to me. Glad to see this registration finally coming through.

Regards,   Martin.

On 2012/12/06 22:17, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Published specification: http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/ and
> http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/.
>
> _______________________________________________
> ietf-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-types
>