Subject: Reg. TCP/IP error response

From: Murali K Viswanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 19:48:56 -0600

Hi Guys,
I had sent a question to the group some time back, but unfortunately for
me it got drowned in the discussion that was occuring then. So I am
presenting my question again hoping to find favor with someone who could
answer these.

what does the TCP standard say about response to frames received in error?
1. Is the packet just discarded?
2. Is a duplicate acknowledgmenet sent for the previous frame?
3. Or maybe it depends on individual implementations?

Thanks,
Mur

Murali K Viswanathan
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:33:36 +0100

>what does the TCP standard say about response to frames received in error?

what do you mean by "received in error"?
Datagrams with incorrect checksums are usually discarded at the link layer.
Datagrams with incorrect header checksums are discarded.
Datagrams with sequence numbers before the current position are discarded.
Datagrams with sequence numbers after the current position are fairly well 
discussed in the RFC.

>3. Or maybe it depends on individual implementations?

Get your question straight, and the answer may become obvious.

                         Harald
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:33:36 +0100

Harald