Subject: Loggin' in on an ISP

From: "Laurens Holst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:15:37 +0100

I am making an internet implementation for my MSX-computer-from-the-80s and
at the moment I am at the DUN, but there is very little information about
that (at least, I couldn't find any). So after some puzzling around with my
webserver I decided to call my MSX modem with my ISDN Analog modem
emulator, and to log what I recieved.

This is the log-data of the first packet the PC sent to the MSX. The problem
is that it adds a few bytes in the beginning (7F FF 7D 23), then sends the
PPP header (C0 21), and then sends most of the further bytes as FD 20+byte,
so a 17 becomes a FD 37, you can also look below. But at a certain moment
some bytes don't send the FD's anymore (the bytes without dashes
inbetween -0B B2 97-, which correspond with the recieved data 5A 74 5C)...
Whaa *snif* I DON'T GET IT ANYMORE!!! I'm desperate, can anybody help me???

Now take a short look at my 'logged' data and then scroll down...

;RECEIVED DATA:
; 7E FF 7D 23 C0 21 7D 21 7D 21 7D 20 7D 37 7D 22 7D 26
; 7D 20 7D 2A 7D 20 7D 20 7D 25 7D 26 7D 20 5A 74 5C 7D
; 27 7D 22 7D 28 7D 22 7D 2D 7D 23 7D 26 C8 F8 7E
;
;SENT PPP DATA (-- = nothing sent):
; -- -- -- -- c0 21 -- 01 -- 01 -- 00 -- 17 -- 02 -- 06
; -- 00 -- 0a -- 00 -- 00 -- 05 -- 06 -- 00 0b b2 97 --
; 07 -- 02 -- 08 -- 02 -- 0d -- 03 -- 06 -- --

Is there another protocol between the RS232 and PPP I missed??? I recall
some document in which they mentioned %01111110 (=#7E) as a sequencer byte
or something like that, but I didn't save the document. If anyone could
point me to an RFC containing the nessacary info I'd be glad.

Or maybe my modem-protocol settings are incorrect??? I use 8N1 (8 bits, no
parity, 1 stopbit), and as far as I know Windows uses the same settings...

Or is it just an error in the ISDN modem-emulator??? It says it is a beta,
but I can log in to BBSes with it so I think it works correctly, but
ofcourse it might have problems with only my modem... But this option seems
not very likely to me.

Thanks in advance, and if no-one of you knows how to solve my problem then
maybe you can suggest another place where I might find an answer???

~Grauw

--
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
 email me: [email-masked] or ICQ: 10196372
   visit the Datax homepage at http://datax.cjb.net/
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<