Subject: Telemetry Protocols?

From: Tim Salo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:07:43 -0600 (CST)

Has the IETF ever undertaken any work related to telemetry or wireless
telemetry protocols?  (Or, is some even underway that I don't know
about?)

Is this an activity better suited for some other organization, (even if
these sorts of things use IP)?

I suppose Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) protocols could fall in this
category, as well, (something that looks like it will become Internet-
related pretty quickly).

-tjs

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:07:00 +0100

>telemetry protocols?  (Or, is some even underway that I don't know

not to my knowledge, other than SNMP if you view it in that light.

>these sorts of things use IP)?

maybe, maybe not. If the protocol were specific to some application -
avionics say - one could argue that there may exist an application-specific
group that would be more focused on the problem. If it were reasonably
general ("here's how you report data items, get an ASN.1 OID to identify
your favorite data item and all its attributes" or some such thing) and
especially if it used an IETF transport protocol (would SCTP be appropriate
for such things?) I could be argued the other way.

>category, as well, (something that looks like it will become Internet-

such things might, for example, use IP Multicast. Car beeps multicast
things to a satellite, the satellite funnels them to ground stations in
suitable parts of the world.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:07:00 +0100

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 00:29:48 -0800

there is a nascent bof on getting location from wireless.  mailing list is
<[email-masked]>

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 00:29:48 -0800

randy