Subject: Meeting for interested Parties

From: Michael Condry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:33:55 -0800 (PST)

We are holding an open meeting to disucss ecommerce data exchange
problems and techniques. In IETF47 there will be a BOF
on this area and material discussed will hopefully 
assist this.

The problem areas being addressed:

     Particularly in the ecommerce area, there is a rapidly growing need to
exchange data between applications. XML, as an application-neutral and
metadata-aware medium, is used to describe and express the data. For various
application areas, there are industry consortiums and other bodies defining
schema, but currently there is no common underlying protocol for transmisson
of the data. 
     Existing protocols for RPC or object invocation - such as IIOP and DCOM -
appear to have enough difficulties so that other WEB approaches need to be
evaluated. SOAP is an example technology that will be 
examined.

Our meeting will discuss this problem space and related technologies.

When: Tuesday, January 25th, 2000
Where: Netscape

       The Sputnik conference room
       Building 22, first floor
       Netscape Communications Corp.
       468 Ellis Street
       Mountain View, CA  94043

All interested parties may attend, please contact [email-masked] if
you would like to attend.