Subject: Security Advice

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:00:01 +0200

Folks,

it may be a *very* good idea for everyone in Adelaide

    NOT TO LEAVE ANY ITEMS OF VALUE VISIBLY IN THE HOTEL ROOM

not even for short periods of time (such as breakfast or so).

When returning from the reception tonight, Carsten found his hotel
room at the Hindley Parkroyal broken into and his camera, passport,
PCMCIA cards, and numerous other electrical devices had disappeared.
Fortunately, he took his laptop to the reception so "the worst case
could be avoided".  Needless to say that the hotel room door
apparently did not provide any protection whatsoever and was opened
in a way that was not even noticeable when returning.

As he did not walk around with any of the stolen items in public
on his way to or out of the room, the knowledge about valuables in the
room must have been obtained in a different way (e.g., by someone who 
had access to the room).

Due to all of this, he is currently lacking connectivity which is why
I am sending out this warning to you on his behalf.

This mail is not intended to provoke any longer discussion on the list,
we just like to share this "experience" with you so that it won't happen
to anybody else.

Joerg