Subject: foglamps BOF and mailing list

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:30:51 -0600

It has been recognized for some time that breaking
the end-to-end model through the introduction of elements
like network address translators causes serious problems 
in IP networks, and the IETF has had ongoing discussions
of those problems with an eye towards solving them.  What
is probably not fully appreciated, however, is the extent
to which NAT and firewall-related problems are interfering 
with the deployment of major applications, such as the
migration from circuit-based to packet-based telecommunications 
networks.  Some of us are beginning to suspect that it may 
be time to bite the bullet and make certain network elements 
visible to applications by creating explicit external interfaces.

To that end, we've requested a BOF session ("foglamps") for 
the upcoming meeting in Adelaide, and have created a foglamps 
mailing list on egroups.com (sorry).  To subscribe, send
email to [email-masked] or use the web-based
interface at http://www.egroups.com.

Background reading would include:
	draft-lear-foglamps-01.txt
	draft-shore-h323-firewalls-00.txt
	draft-rosenberg-sip-firewalls-00.txt
	RFC 2775
	draft-iab-ntwlyrws-over-02.txt

I'll send along an agenda as soon as it's finalized.

Melinda
-- 
Melinda Shore
Nokia IP Telephony
127 West State Street		"Software longa,
Ithaca, NY  14850			hardware brevis"
+1 607 273 0724 (office)
+1 607 275 3610 (fax)
+1 607 227 4096 (mobile)
[email-masked]