Subject: TCP Encapsulation within TCP

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 05:16:40 -0500

Hello:

Apology if this following sounds a little bit trivia. I looking for
online documents about practical TCP Encapsulation within TCP
implementation. I have already tried without luck the 
http://www.normos.org/ , http://www.altavista.org , 
FAQ - comp.protocols.tcp-ip, as well as the holy rfc-index.txt.

What I have in mind is splitting a virtual point to point link 
into several queues with TCP windows. What I mean with virtual link
is that there might be several physical hubs between the points.
Each encapsulated TCP window will contain one or more real
TCP packets that are compressed and encrypted.

For example, a link might be split into four queues. One for
Non Maskable/Priority Traffic, one for Small and Medium Packets,
one for Large Packets, and one for forwarding no priority packets 
(e.g. "alt.*" traffic).

Hopefully, someone has already implemented something similar.

regards,

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim ------------------------ http://rms46.vlsm.org
-- OSI: Same day service in a nanosecond world --- Interop T-shirt(vJ)

---

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 15:43:12 +0800

Hello:

A couple of days ago I have posted a query for **ONLINE DOCUMENTS**
of practical TCP Encapsulation within TCP. Thanks for everyone
who has replied in private. I am aware that someone in Harvard was
doing it, however, I would like to know what is currently under 
development or already on the shelf.

The issue itself was inspired by the recent DoS attack. So, basically
it is about how a "small Mom and Pop ISP in the developing country"
can have some control over its low speed upstream link. I was thinking
of using a TCP window, since the characteristics of that technology
are somewhat already known. Thus, the provider might have some control
over how much SYNC packets it will accept, priority packets, filtering,
etc., at the other end of the link.
 
Someone has suggested to look on RSVP documents. However, I think that 
RSVP is too complicated.

Someone has suggested to look on IPSEC documents. While security is 
desirable, it is not the main point. However, I believe that the 
ssh utility can be used for establishing the virtual links.

Again, thanks for everyone who has replied my prior email!

regards,

-- 
- Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim --  VLSM-TJT --  http://rms46.vlsm.org/ -
Here we are,poised on the precipice of suicide slope-Calvin 20Feb89