Subject: Re: Re: Critically compare the congestion control on TCP/IP and ATM

From: Jianbo Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 20:31:14 +0800

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you all for giving me so much information! I have read some, and 
almost get a clear idea of how ATM manage the congestion control. But I 
still get one question: generally speaking, TCP/IP is equal to the 
transport and network layer in the OSI model, and it seems that the ATM 
works on the Data Link Layer (?). They serve different function in the OSI 
model. Through they all have congestion control facility, how to compare 
mechanism in different layer? Does the topic "Critically compare the 
congestion control on TCP/IP and ATM" mean only compare of the algorithms 
of them?

Thank you again for you valuable help!

rgds,

Truly yours,
Jianbo Huang :-)

---

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 17:20:33 -0500

At 20:31 03/09/2000 +0800, Jianbo Huang wrote:
>Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>generally speaking, TCP/IP is equal to the transport and network layer 
>in the OSI model, and it seems that the ATM works on the Data Link Layer 
>(?). They serve different function in the OSI model. Through they all 
>have congestion control facility, how to compare mechanism in different 
>layer?

Both are protocol suites.  The ATM protocol suite actually includes not 
just the ATM layer protocol ("ATM") but lots more including a layer 4 
reliable transport mechanism.  Each has control signaling at multiple 
layers.  Just compare the pieces of each that provide similar functionality.