Subject: Re: history

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:09:17 +0800

Jon Crowcroft:

> see
> http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/misc/tcp_ip/
> for a slightly incomplete archive of it all
> i couldn't find any other archive but if someone does have 
> it, let me know and i'll delete mine and point at theirs...

Hopefully, there will be permanent URLs for those archives.

> so there used to be this single file we'd all FTP from ISI with 
> the hosts.txt listing of name/addresses  - 

I recall that even in 1988, a.cs.uiuc.edu or uiucdcs (then a 
VAX-11/750) did "gethostfromnic" once or twice a week.

PS: It is interesting to note that in 1986, a CISCO IP 
    gateway(1-4 way) that supports IP/TCP and V.35 cost $7950.

regards,  

-- 
- Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim --  VLSM-TJT --  http://rms46.vlsm.org/ -
- struct {char unstable;void knowledge;float hopes;double income;};