Subject: RE: Carry IP Packet in Ethernet Frame in IEEE 802.3 LLC Encapsula tionFormat

From: Hubert Chang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:52:21 -0500

Apple MAC2 did have this in 1988-1989.  

Hubert Chang

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 3:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Carry IP Packet in Ethernet Frame in IEEE 802.3 LLC
EncapsulationFormat

> I never see or heard any product use 802.3 LLC frame format to carry IP
> packet. But I am not sure I am correct. Does anyone knows that some
product
> does use the LLC frame to carry IP packets and why?

Older HP-UX (300 & 400 series) systems could do this.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email-masked]

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:31:54 -0500

I remember back in the NSFnet days, the IBM router's ethernet interface
supported DIX, 802.3/SNAP and 802.3... We even had a bug where one of
the formats gave odd-boundary frames, and the Intel596 Ethernet chips
were not too happy about it ....  

- Ping