Subject: The RFC-Editor and IANA (part II)

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 05:25:24 -0400

Quoted from another thread:

  However, we believe that there is a fairly general understanding 
  among IAB, ICANN, and US DoC that the IAB could, indeed, transfer 
  the portions of the IANA efforts that relate to IETF work elsewhere 
  if that were necessary or desirable.

I like this bold statement very much, and I believe that this is the 
way that the IAB should go! And, I assume that it was not a humorous
intentional. It is still not clear, however, why both IANA and the 
RFC-Editor have never explicitly acknowledged that they were chartered 
by the IAB.

If the funding of the RFC Editor function is $1,295,517 and it 
produces 1300 RFCs, the production cost of one RFC will be about $1000. 
This is equivalent to 10 third world man month. No complain, since
this is funded by Uncle Sam's tax payers or its derivative.

(Unfortunately, parts of ICANN and regional *NIC registries funds 
will come from the third world).

References:
* http://ittf.vlsm.org/ietf/164.txt
* http://ittf.vlsm.org/ietf/00/1.txt
* http://gtm.vlsm.org/in-i-iana1.html

-- 
- Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim --  VLSM-TJT --  http://rms46.vlsm.org/ -
- You have to let me go, I just wanna tell you! - 5IVE INVINCIBLE -