Subject: Re: SCSI over IP (fwd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:10:48 -0700

Jon -

Keep in mind that there is no standards track document - the document you have
is merely a proposal by one set of parties.  This effort is pre-WG (chairs,
charters, and final approvals are not complete to my knowledge).  There are a
number of parties that would like to see a proposed standard in the shortest
amount of time but it is a large area.  Thus, it's too early to speculate on
products (standards compatible products, at any rate) but I'd imagine that it'd
be *at least* towards 1Q 2001before we get to proposed standard.

Only one IP networking vendor (Cisco) that I'm aware of has made any public
direction statements in this area, though there is certainly interest among
others - more IP traffic is good for business, after all.  Obviously, the
storage networking industry is interested as well.

Dave

"Jon William Toigo" <[email-masked]> on 04/26/2000 08:33:18 AM

Sent by:  "Jon William Toigo" <[email-masked]>

To:   Dave Lee/HQ/3Com
cc:   [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: SCSI over IP (fwd)

Thanks for the referral, Dave.  Now that I have the SCSI over IP RFC text, I
am wondering how soon, if ever, we will likely see a standard and/or product
based on the specification?

To your knowledge, is SCSI over IP being pursued in earnest by IP networking
equipment companies at present?

JWT