Subject: Patent protection from NATs

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 10:24:20 -0400

To combine the two long-running threads: The solution to the NAT problem
is obvious - we need a submarine patent where somebody claims rights to
NATs and then charges so much for licensing that it makes technically
more sound solutions, say, IPv6, economically attractive. Indeed, I
think we should get together a group of people to patent all the
architecturally bad ideas (call it the "RSI group"), as they'll appear
sooner or later. That will give us 20 years of respite...

---

From: "Ozair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:28:30 +0500

Hello everyone,

My name is Mohammad Ozair Rasheed. I joined this list a few days back in
hope of understanding various protocol issues present in this forum. Here is
a brief look at me.

I am from Pakistan and work for a software house at the city of Lahore
(www.cres-tech.com) as the Senior Systems Analyst. Currently I am working as
the Project Coordinator for implementing the Database and Data Warehouse
Portion of the National Data Warehouse Project. I am also a volunteer member
for PMI and am working in a team for developing the Project Management
Principles for PMI.

Well, that is a brief information about me. It would be very helpful if any
one of you could provide me with background information about this list and
the topics that have been under discussion. I would very much like to add
value to the discussions.

Regards,
M. Ozair Rasheed
Pakistan.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:20:18 -0400

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> Indeed, I

...provided somebody pays the legal fees to enforce the patents.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |The cheapest, fastest, most reliable components|
[email-masked]|of a computer system are those that aren't     |
|                |there.--Gordon Bell                            |
\================================================================/