Subject: MPLS and Private Network

From: David Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:19:12 -0500

Dear Friends,

A company consists of 2 remotely separated sites, A and B. A leased T1 line
connects the networks on these 2 sites together. We generally call the
company's network a private network since the connection between the 2 sites
are private leased line. 

Now the service provider replace this leased T1 line with a 1.544 mbps MPLS
LSP (Label Switched Path). Is this company's network still a private
network? Is it still as secure as it was before ? why ? 

We know that the MPLS LSP has gone through many LSR (Label Switch Router)
and has been manipulated by the service providers. But the leased T1 line
has been manipulated by the service providers too. The signal may be
multiplex into DS3, OC-3, OC-12, OC-48, OC-192 then de-multiplex back to
OC-48, OC-12, OC-3, DS3, DS1.

Please help me if you know the answers.

Thanks
David

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:41:11 -0400

MPLS and Private NetworkDavid Wang writes:
  A company consists of 2 remotely separated sites, A and B. A leased T1
line connects the networks on these 2 sites together. We generally call the
company's network a private network since the connection between the 2 sites
are private leased line.

  Now the service provider replace this leased T1 line with a 1.544 mbps
MPLS LSP (Label Switched Path). Is this company's network still a private
network? Is it still as secure as it was before ? why ?

If the carrer backbone network is seggregated as before, the signalling or
forwarding mechanism used in the
core network shouldn't make any difference to you. Security and throughput
should remain same.

Cheers,

--brijesh