Subject: Re: rfc-editor?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 18:19:33 -0700

I found the following in rfc2028..

> 2.1  The Request for Comments Editor
>
>    The RFC publication series [B] is managed by an Editor (which may in
>    practice be one or more individuals) responsible both for the
>    mechanics of RFC publication and for upholding the traditionally 
>    high technical and editorial standards of the RFC series.

>    The functions of the RFC Editor are performed by one or more
>    individuals or organizations selected in accordance with the
>    procedures defined by the RFC Editor charter [G].

And [G] is simply..

>    [G] RFC Editor Charter, Work in Progress.

..and perusal with various search engines/tools yields no further information 
about "RFC Editor Charter", and rfc2028 was written in late 1996.

[email-masked] said:
> brought to you by most of the same folk it has been for years

Well, uh, besides Joyce Reynolds, I'm curious as to who all are actively 
contributing to that role. Is it folks on the IAB? Is it folks at IANA (and, 
uh, who zactly these days is affiliated with IANA besides the well-known 
board? who're the doers?)? Is it just anybody at ISI? Is it part of being on 
the IESG being an AD? Is it WG chairs? Who gets to decide?

How is it presently decided who may participate in acting in the RFC-Editor 
role?

I'm just sorta curious cuz it seems to be an opaque object in the otherwise 
fairly well-defined works (of the IETF et al).

thanks,

JeffH

---

From: Vishal Dutta MCP <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:24:26 -0400 (EDT)

Can anyone send the faq that was sent out a few months ago..
thanks

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:13:55 -0500

Jeff,

The RFC Editor function is the subject of a contract, paid for and 
issued by the Internet Society on behalf of the IETF. The IAB, which
I chaired until 2 weeks ago, by its latest charter "must approve the 
appointment of an organization to act as RFC Editor and the general 
policy followed by the RFC Editor."

The current contractor is the Information Sciences Institute of the
University of Southern California, where the late Jon Postel worked.

There is no individual human acting as RFC Editor; it's a team effort
at ISI.

The charter never got written; it was on Jon's to do list when he passed
away. But of course there is a statement of work in the ISOC contract,
and a member of the RFC Editor team reports at each IETF meeting.
You can see the current status of the RFC Editor's queue at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html

   Brian Carpenter