Subject: Re: prohibiting RFC publication

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:24:27 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>

> ...
> Dave's message only said that technical merit has no bearing on 
> publication of Informational or Experimental RFCs. He (nor anyone 
> else in this thread as far as I can tell) mad no claim that we ought 
> to determine technical merit on the basis of the vendors, nor that we 
> base a decision for publication based solely on who those vendors 
> are, nor that we fawn over vendors products. He suggested that we 
> allow them to document current practice. Unless (cf. 2026) "the IESG 
> considers that the document proposes something that conflicts with, 
> or is actually inimical to, an established IETF effort" (which I have 
> not heard out of the IESG yet), the RFC editor should (with the 
> required changes of getting rid of "implied standardhood") publish 
> the document.

Do I understand correctly that you think that 
draft-terrell-ip-spec-ipv7-ipv8-addr-cls-02.txt
should have been published as an RFC?

Since technical merit is irrelevant, you must be in favor of
publishing draft-terrell-logic-analy-bin-ip-spec-ipv7-ipv8-04.txt.
Do you prefer Informational or Experimental?

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 13:46:08 -0500

On 4/9/00 at 12:24 PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:

>>...He suggested that we allow them to document current practice.
>

Uh, no. I see no deployed support for this document and therefore see 
no relevance to the Internet community to have this document 
published. If noone on the Internet is doing it and I'm therefore not 
going to see these packets on the Internet, then it's not relevant to 
me as a member of the community, which is the only test for 
Informational or Experimental.

>publishing draft-terrell-logic-analy-bin-ip-spec-ipv7-ipv8-04.txt.

Did Eugene go and write some code I don't know about? Did you start 
routing this crap out on the net?

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated
Ph: (217)337-6377 or (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102