Subject: SNMPv3 deployment & Wind River Systems

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:31:43 +0100

Hi,

	Lack of SNMPv3 availability in networking products is a serious
operational problem in the Internet today, IMHO.

	A large number of networking vendors are telling @Home that the
vendor has difficulty in offering SNMPv3 because WindRiver won't take the
Epilogue SNMP Agent software (Epilogue is now owned by WindRiver
so that code would be the obvious choice) and port it across to VxWorks
(and for that matter, PSOS).   VxWorks and PSOS are only available with
a SNMPv1/v2c agent even today, with no prospect for SNMPv3 anytime soon.

	While theoretically anyone could port the code, in practice a lot
of the affected companies aren't big enough to have that amount of extra staff
lying around.  By the way, this also means there is a market for
a pre-ported (to VxWorks/PSOS) version of any other SNMP code, if someone
is feeling like a capitalist.

	If anyone here has the ear of anyone in management at WindRiver Systems,
it would be a public service to push them to get an SNMPv3 agent available to
their VxWorks customers ASAP.  The downstream customer demand exists.

	Sorry for the interruption and thanks for listening.

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robb Swanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:29:53 -0400

The facts, as stated, are simply not true.

SNMPv3 is ported and supported for both VxWorks and pSOS+.  Prior to the
merger of Wind River and Integrated Systems (which owned Epilogue),
there was no SNMPv3 solution for VxWorks.  But it is available today.
SNMPv3 has been available for pSOS+ for as long as Epilogue had an
SNMPv3 solution (about 18 months now).

Robb Swanson                   voice : 781-643-5222
Field Engineering Specialist     fax : 781-643-5225
Wind River                       www : http://www.windriver.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: RJ Atkinson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 4:32 AM
> To: ietf
> Subject: SNMPv3 deployment & Wind River Systems
>
>
> Hi,
>

---

From: "Shawn A. Routhier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:49:24 -0400

This note is simply to update the record.  As the whole discussion
is dealing with a single vendor followups should probably be taken
off-line.

Anyway, the port of Envoy and SNMPv3 to VxWorks is in the hands of the
manufacturing and shipping department and should be shipped to customers
shortly (next week or so).  Envoy with SNMPv3 was released on pSOS
somewhat over a year ago.

regards,
Shawn A. Routhier
Epilogue, Integrated Systems (pSOS), WindRiver (VxWorks)

   Hi,

   Ran
   [email-masked]