Subject: Re: NAT->IPv6

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:39:19 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>

> > But anybody clear understand that if your internal hosts do not have
> > a public address then all attacks may be only static - wait until
> > internal host open TCP to somewhere.
>
> This is a naive understanding.  Source-routing would let me get
> packets through to an internal address unless your NAT also acts as a
> firewall.

Why isn't it also naive to assume that vulnerable applications on hosts
inside will honor IP source routes on the return path?

See for example, current BSD source for telnetd and rlogind.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: "Eliot Lear" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:04:34 -0700

It's also completely naive that source routing is your only threat.  One
can break into a NAT.  One can forge packets and address them
appropriately.  Firewalls prevent this, not NATs.