Subject: RE: vLANs vs VPNs

From: "Michael B. Bellopede" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:02:55 -0400

Virtual Private Network (VPN) and a Virtual LAN (VLAN) are two unrelated
terms.

VPN deals with security and connecting nodes in a private network across a
public IP internetwork.  Read RFC 1853 - IP Tunneling.

You can take one physical LAN and split it into multiple virtual LANs, or
you can take  multiple physical LANs and integrate them into a VLAN.  RFC
0824 is good reading.

Michael B. Bellopede

-----Original Message-----
From: Betsy Brennan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 1:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: vLANs vs VPNs

Could anyone explain to me the difference between Virtual Privite
networks and Virtual LANs?   Respectfully, Betsy B.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:54:11 -0400

Michael and Betsy,

Also see RFC 2764.

Cheers,
Andy

-------

>networks and Virtual LANs?   Respectfully, Betsy B.

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414  fax:978 392-2074
Lucent Technologies                 1 Robbins Road    Westford, MA 01886

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:11:17 -0700

> >public IP internetwork.  Read RFC 1853 - IP Tunneling.

1853 is informational.

2003 is the standards-track update (though it isn't cross-linked,
because an standard implicitly updates an informational document :-)

Joe