Subject: RE: rfc-editor?

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:46:07 GMT

*> 
  *> O.K., help me understand this. ISOC paid ISI a few hundred 
  *> thousand dollars (?) for the RFC-Editor functions (wasn't it really
  *> funding for the entire IANA role?). However, since Joyce Reynolds is 
  *> now listed both as a staff member of ICANN ("Manager of Publications") 
  *> at http://www.icann.org/general/abouticann.htm and "liaison" to 
  *> the RFC editor on the IAB pages at http://www.iab.org/members.html
  *> the ISOC funding seems to have been used/absorbed for ICANN staff?

Bob:

Let me be very clear about this: none of the ISOC funding that is
supporting the RFC Editor function at ISI has gone, or will go,
for ICANN functions.  One member of the RFC Editor team is principally
supported by DARPA, but that does not mean that DARPA is supporting
RFC Editor functions.   People can perform multiple functions, and
accountants can do the arithmetic, and it all works.

There IS no dark conspiracy here, just people devoting CONSIDERABLE
time and energy (without stock options, I might add) to making the
internet work.

Bob Braden

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:45:35 -0700

>time and energy (without stock options, I might add) to making the

A great idea! Stock options in the RFC Editor function!

- A hot startup of about 25 years (in real time, not Internet time)

- Geekier than Slashdot

- Can change the definition of the Internet by themselves overnight

- Content is created for them by industry leaders for free

- Just look at the demographics of the people who come to their "standards 
portal"

- Imagine how much Cisco or Microsoft would spend to buy them