Subject: RE: How many IP addresses?

From: "Michael B. Bellopede" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:23:29 -0400

>  But we have to engineer this in some fashion that
>permits efficient use of these addresses by hosts and (especially) routers.
>(An earlier poster wrote that you "just have to write the code".  That's
the
>wrong idea -- big iron routers don't use "code" to do forwarding, they use
>silicon, and very fast silicon at that.  There are routers in production
use
>today that are handling OC-192 -- 10 Gbps -- links.  You can't do that in
>software.)
>                --Steve Bellovin

Software, firmware, its a matter of semantics.  Do you think that silicon
magically performs routing and logical functions.  Hmmm...

-Michael B. Bellopede
 [email-masked]

---

From: Tripp Lilley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:49:44 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

> magically performs routing and logical functions.  Hmmm...

Uh, "hardware" != "EEPROM + CPU" here. "hardware" == "custom routing
ASICs". In the "no options, entry in cache" scenario Steve mentions, the
processor "don't enter into it", as it all goes through the raw silicon.

Think gates. Not bill gates, logic gates.

-- 
   Tripp Lilley  *  [email-masked]  *  http://stargate.sg505.net/~tlilley/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  "I get a lot of letters like, 'Dear John, I've got a dead alien. What
   should I do with it?'  One word: barbecue!"

   - John Lovitz, A Yellow Pages commercial