Subject: Re: Standard Track dependencies on Informational RFCs

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 13:34:17 +0200

The IESG, the IAB and Steve Kille were wrong at the time.
What they did not foresee was that the string encoding would come back as 
bits on the wire in another protocol.

When that happened, the Right Thing was to move the status of those documents.

                 Harald

At 19:07 31/08/2000 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>IESG 91-10-17, 2) IAB Meeting Report (excerpt)
>Steve Hardcastle-Kille joined the IAB in discussing several of the
>X.500 documents.  All were approved per the IESG recommendation except the
>"String Encoding of Presentation Address" which with the concurrence
>of Steve Hardcastle-Kille was suggested as an informational document.
>
>IAB, 911010, 5.2  Presentation Address Encoding
>The IAB was concerned that this appeared to be standardizing a
>user interface, and there were some strong feelings that as a
>general policy, standardizing user interfaces is a bad idea.
>Hardcastle-Kille agreed that this memo will have most of the
>desired effect as an Informational RFC, so it was agreed to
>publish it in this manner.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, [email-masked]
+47 41 44 29 94
Personal email: [email-masked]