Subject: draft-ietf-pkix-time-stamp-09

From: J Adrian Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:11:11 +0100

Just to confirm that I too have problems with the standard which I'm 
prepared to express at some length.

Technically, it'll sure it'll fly but I'm really, really worried about the 
evidential rigour. Ultimately, the TSA will have to testify in a court and 
it has got to work - for the benefit of the entire PKIX endeavours.

Some of the legal issues may affect the technical ones, hence I think it is 
time to rehearse that everyone is sure they what they are doing and that 
they are confident in being able to generate bullet-proof time stamp 
evidence when the time comes.

I support Todd Glassey's request (belatedley!)

Adrian Pickering/
Lecturer, Electronics and Computer Science,
University of Southampton, UK.

>From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>, "Russ Housley" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pkix-time-stamp-09 comments
>Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 08:48:07 -0700
>X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.3018.1300
>List-Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/mail-archive/
>List-ID: <ietf-pkix.imc.org>
>List-Unsubscribe: mailto:[email-masked]?body=unsubscribe
>X-ECS-MailScanner: Found to be clean
>
>Hi all , might as well get this started here.
>
>I have formally filed a request to stop the advancement of the TSP Protocol
>to a Standard because it is still incomplete and in a number of senses,
>broken.

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 18:37:38 -0400

Adrian,

>Technically, it'll sure it'll fly but I'm really, really worried 
>about the evidential rigour. Ultimately, the TSA will have to 
>testify in a court and it has got to work - for the benefit of the 
>entire PKIX endeavours.
>
>Some of the legal issues may affect the technical ones, hence I 
>think it is time to rehearse that everyone is sure they what they 
>are doing and that they are confident in being able to generate 
>bullet-proof time stamp evidence when the time comes.
>

I think you'll find that my response to Todd explains why PKIX has 
chosen to not tailor its standards to the emerging legal processes, 
and why that will not be changing in the context of the TSP document.

Steve