Subject: can vpn's extended to mobility

From: "dheep vijay b" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:00:23 -0700

It would be of great pleasure if any one could help me finding the solution for whether " vpn's could be extended for mobile computing" if so  how to  go abt.

In the recent advancement in cellular phones ,it is made possible to browse the internet .when this is made possible will it be able to implement vpn in cell phones.if so pls help me to know more abt it

Im intrested to know more abt WAP(Wireless Application Protocol ) pls do guide me for a better website

thank u.

hopefully waiting for a 'XAVIER'

venkatesh

mail me [email-masked]

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:09:37 +0200

At 08:00 PM 9/20/00 -0700, dheep vijay b wrote:
>It would be of great pleasure if any one could help me finding the 
>solution for whether " vpn's could be extended for mobile computing" if 
>so  how to  go abt.

A VPN is, by my definition, any case where one overlays the global Internet 
with another private Internet using tunneling. Tunneling procedures today 
include MPLS, IPSEC, IP/IP, GRE/IP, and probably several others. The big 
difference between doing this and doing the same thing over, say, and ATM, 
Frame Relay, or X.25 network is that the latter things are not the 
internet. They are virtual circuit switch networks.

MPLS is also a virtual circuit switch network of sorts; the principal 
difference between it and Frame Relay is that it runs over an arbitrary 
infrastructure. Could virtual circuit switch be supported from a cell 
phone? Probably. Is it? No plans that I know of: if you want circuits, they 
already support TDM circuits.

You could certainly support an IPSEC VPN, though. This amounts to 
encrypting the tunnel back to the Home Agent for the purposes of talking 
with other objects that are physically or virtually within the network your 
home agent is managing, or participating in other VPNs in the same manner.

>guide me for a better website

http://www.wapforum.org/

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:42:04 -0700

At 4:09 AM +0200 9/24/00, Fred Baker wrote:
>A VPN is, by my definition, any case where one overlays the global 
>Internet with another private Internet using tunneling. Tunneling 
>procedures today include MPLS, IPSEC, IP/IP, GRE/IP, and probably 
>several others.

Others might have a very different definition of VPN. The "P" in 
"VPN" stands for "privacy", which requires encryption. Without a 
lower layer of encryption, it is trivial for someone to snoop on your 
MPLS or IP/IP or GRE/IP tunnel.

The things described above are VINs, or Virtual Isolated Networks 
(thanks to Tero Kivenen for the term). VINs have useful features, but 
privacy is not one of them.

The most popular IETF standard for VPNs is IPsec using ESP.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:44:26 -0700

At 09:42 AM 9/26/00 -0700, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
>Others might have a very different definition of VPN. The "P" in "VPN" 
>stands for "privacy", which

I thought the word was "private" rather than "privacy". "Private" has two 
different meanings, one for shutting out others from seeing, but the other 
referring to restricted management, as in being under private control.

Over the public Internet, clearly privacy is an important for some 
applications.

However the earlier uses of the term VPN simply referred to a network that 
was under private administration, but is operated over a public one.

d/

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:44:26 -0700

>stands for "privacy", which

I thought the word was "private" rather than "privacy".  And that permits a 
very useful ambiguity.

"Private" has two different meanings, one for shutting out others from 
seeing, but the other referring to restricted management, as in being under 
private control.

However the earlier use of the term VPN simply referred to a network that 
was under private administration, but is operated over a public one.

d/

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:19:33 -0400

>                                                     The "P" in 
> "VPN" stands for "privacy", which requires encryption ...

I expected the term or concept of "data confidentiality" (the "p" is
silent) to be bundled into this service model, not "privacy".

Eric

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:13:52 +0200

At 09:42 26/09/2000 -0700, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
>>procedures today include MPLS, IPSEC, IP/IP, GRE/IP, and probably several 
>>others.
>
>stands for "privacy", which requires encryption. Without a lower layer of 
>encryption, it is trivial for someone to snoop on your MPLS or IP/IP or 
>GRE/IP tunnel.

VPN is on my list of "bleep" terms - when I hear a statement involving it, 
I mentally replace it by "bleep" and see if I can still see what the author 
is trying to say.

Other terms on the list include "scalable", "agent", "hostname" and "metadata".
When I have to use those terms, I try to include somewhere in context the 
sentence "the term XXX, as used in this context, means...".

I can't tell which VPN definition the original question referred to.

             Harald
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, [email-masked]
+47 41 44 29 94
Personal email: [email-masked]