Subject: Sun's wireless (lack of) initiative

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:12:00 -0800 (PST)

"With respect to Media APIs, these are expected to be pursued as devices
 become more capable...."

-- http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2000/jl1024.html

I wonder how long Sun thinks it will be before handheld wireless devices 
"become more capable" with speakers and microphones.  Perhaps Motorola, 
which helped them write Java's Mobile Information Device Profile, should 
have pointed out that their phones come standard with speakers and 
microphones as standard equipment.  

Microsoft's wireless solutions will easily dominate in the unified 
voice messaging field, because WinCE has had the easy-to-use 
VoiceRecorder_Create() dialog function call since version 2.0.

So what were Sun's engineers working on for their company's wireless 
device software instead of communication technologies?

  http://java.sun.com/products/midp/images/space_invaders.jpg

"The API defines a set of abstract key-events: UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, 
FIRE, GAME_A, GAME_B, GAME_C, and GAME_D."

-- http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr037/MIDP_Spec_1_0.zip

Cheers,
James