Subject: RE: cell phone audio email

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:02:20 -0700

James P. Salsman [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:
> In the U.S., the revenues of the telephone industries are about 25 
> times the size of those of the television and movie 
> industries combined. 

Uh? According to the (US) Bureau of Economic Analysis figures for 1998, the
"Telephone and telegraph" revenues represented about 2.3% of GDP, the "Radio
and television" 0.7%, and the "Motion pictures" 0.3%. That is 2.3 times, not
25...

---

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:39:59 -0700 (PDT)

> and television" 0.7%, and the "Motion pictures" 0.3%. That is 2.3 times, not

My source was an editorial feature that ran on the public radio program 
"Marketplace" yesterday evening, stating that the annual revenues from 
television and movies are generated every two weeks by phone companies.

Does the B.E.A. "Telephone and telegraph" figure include mobile phones?

Cheers,
James