Subject: ICANN election.com not working reliably

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 06:09:44 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I've tried the election mechanism this morning at nearly the earliest 
possible time, and after proceeding through all the pages, and verifying 
my choices, suddenly the page indicated that I could not proceed at this 
time.

First of all, that's a terrible error message.  Content free.

Secondly, I noticed a very long URL at the top of my page, most of 
which was not visible.  I copied it into a text editor:

https://vote.election.com/icann/error.asp?critical=yes&desc=
Component%2EApplyVote+failed&errnbr=50101&errdesc=Invalid+credentials%2E
+Your+member+number%2C+PIN+code+and+password+combination+is+incorrect%2E

Now, that's dandy.  If I'd mis-entered my credentials, I'd expect it to 
tell me on the first secured page, before entering and verifying my votes.

Since I'm just copying and pasting, I'm a bit surprised that there was 
an error.  Just in case, I tried it on the ICANN member pages.  It still 
works!  So, it looks like there's a problem in the verification system.

I know it's Sunday, early in the morning, but that's when the Board 
chose to start the voting.  Hopefully, somebody is checking for errors.

---

From: Herman Silbiger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:04:25 -0400

I have not been able to participate in the this or the selection part of the
election.  I used the PIN that was mailed to me to register.  When it came
time to vote it asked for my PIN again, which I no longer had.

I have registered for many secure sites (bank, brokers) using a pin that was
mailed, but once I was registered the id and password were sufficinet, so I
did not think about saving the mailed PIN.  If that type of security is enough
to transfer thousands of dollars, it should be sufficient for voting.  Keeping
a paper copy of a PIN is not very secure!

I sent numerous emails to ICANN requesting a new PIN but it took three weeks
to get a reply.

Of course I still can't vote.

It really looks like they are going out of their way to make participation
difficult.

Herman

William Allen Simpson wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 6.5.1
>
> iQCVAwUBOdcNJNm/qMj6R+sxAQFVqgP/atu4Kltv4zfveQE3+KJ1v8Uc0F4Y+Pdf
> GEaIFnIGApgAazuO0i+srl2uluFdckfUBo9KAaIkDgnbcpdGNfV1GqaZ31j2Lo0n
> NEcoGZ6f53VqBrftnCnde+3UfEaS2xVKL+Lz/xkYrJnv5LT8q2/+36TrSUT2ovK5
> B3nhMtU/OV4=
> =vvTY
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----