Subject: Re: [Re: Standartization of User Input for find\search engines]

From: Pragyansmita Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Oct 00 09:55:18 IST

Hello,

Alongwith standardizing the way the search engines take the search query, I
feel that there should also be some standard with regard to specifying the
context in which a search is being performed. 

Most of the search sites nowdays show how relevant the page is with respect to
the search query, they give a percentage, I think that the end user should
know what was the criteria used in coming up with that value. 
And if all the search sites use some standard way of coming up with that
value, it will be all the better.

Regards,
Pragyan.

Levinboim Family wrote:

> As far as I'm aware of, there's no RFC\Draft or standard of any kind
> at the subject. there isn't even a standard for simple operations like
> AND, OR, and NOT, for example, one can search: ietf and rfc  - at one
> search engine +ietf +rfc - at another and this is just a simple
> search,There should also be a standard mechanism for multiple searches
> and complex searches. Please correct me if I'm wrong.I believe some
> work can and is needed to be done in the field.any comments? Tomer
> Levinboim

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:54:18 -0400

> value, it will be all the better.

Even if somebody comes up with a proprietary better scheme?

If all the pages use the same scheme for computing the values, what will
differentiate one from another?  WHy should somebody use Google, or Yahoo,
or AltaVista, if they all do Exactly The Same Thing?

Also, remember that the *reason* there's a several-decade-long flame war
about The Best Supercomputer Design is because different algorithms perform
best on old-Cray vector architectures, some do best on SGI's NUMA, some
do best on the IBM SP/2 architecture, and so on.

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech