Subject: cell phone audio email

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 10:06:03 -0700 (PDT)

There has been a flurry of new product annoucements and rumors of 
new NTT DoCoMo products and partnerships.

Does anyone have a cell phone that can send and receive MIME emails 
with audio attachments yet?

How about cell phones with PPP-capable serial ports?

Have any such phones been announced?

Cheers,
James

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:37:23 +0859 ()

James;

> new NTT DoCoMo products and partnerships.

The only information from Docomo worth knowing is in

	draft-inamura-docomo-00.txt

and it is an architecture for 3GPP:

          L7   |HTTP |                      |HTTP |HTTP |  |HTTP |
          L4   | TCP |                      | TCP | TCP |  | TCP |
          L3   | IP  |      | IP  | IP  |   | IP  | IP  |  | IP  |
          L2   | RLC |      | RLC |fiber|   |fiber| any |  | any |
          L1   |WCDMA|      |WCDMA| any |   | any | any |  | any |

               Hand set        BTS/RNC          Gateway      Web
                                                            server

> How about cell phones with PPP-capable serial ports?

For such information, ask Docomo, not IETF.

Or, are you spamming IETF acting as a sales agent of Docomo?

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: "James P. Salsman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

> For such information, ask Docomo, not IETF.

There is no Docomo service in my area.

> Or, are you spamming IETF acting as a sales agent of Docomo?

No, I'm not affiliated with any part of the cellphone business.

I ask because my employer and I have multiple, specific applications 
for cellphone-based email with MIME audio attachments.

There are many companies who -- if you believe their announcements 
-- are so close, but they seem to be throwing good money after bad, 
on dead-end technologies like WAP.

Cheers,
James

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:17:47 +0859 ()

James;

> for cellphone-based email with MIME audio attachments.

OK. I acknowledge that you are involved in cellphone business.

> on dead-end technologies like WAP.

You think MIME audio attachments work over iMODE but not over WAP.

OK. OK.

You can discuss it in a specific WG (VPIM).

But you should not bother people in IETF mailing list by repeating
an obvious fact that both WAP and iMODE are dead-end technologies.

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:38:58 -0400

> for cellphone-based email with MIME audio attachments.

So get a PBX that does VPIM, and dial into it.  You don't need anything
special on the phone.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Organ transplants are best left to the       |
[email-masked]|professionals.                               |
\==============================================================/