Subject: International Emergency Preference Scheme (IEPS)

From: "Folts, Harold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:37:16 -0500

Greetings,

I have just posted the Internet Draft <draft-itu-t-ieps-description-00.txt>,
which contains the text of ITU-T Recommendation E.106, Description of the
International Emergency Preference Scheme (IEPS). It provides further
background information on IEPS for the initiative being taken to accommodate
provisions for emergency communications in next generation networks based
upon Internet technology. We first presented the IEPS requirements at a BOF
at IETF 48 in Pittsburgh during July 2000 with an overview in Internet Draft
<draft.folts.ohno.ieps.considerations.00.txt>.

Although ITU-T E.106 addresses emergency communications in the public
switched telephone networks and ISDN, we are projecting these requirements
into the future for public IP-telephony services and other innovative
Internet-based services that are becoming available in the
telecommunications marketplace.

You are invited to visit our web site: www.iepscheme.net. There are several
other background documents available there including the recent Internet
Draft <draft-carlberg-ieps-framework-00.txt>, which provides more detailed
technical considerations as well as some pointers to IETF work areas where
there could be specific issues related to provision of emergency
communications.

You are also encouraged to subscribe to the IEPS mail list to participate in
discussions on these issues. You can subscribe by following the procedures
outlined in the IEPS web site.

We would like to be able to hold another BOF on IEPS at IETF 50 next month.
We would also like to see and IEPS Working Group established in the IETF to
facilitate the work. Your comments or views to the IEPS list would be most
welcome. It would be very helpful to have discussions on the IEPS issues.
Your input and support for this work would be very much appreciated.

Hal Folts

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*	Hal Folts
*	Senior Systems Engineer
*	Priority Services - Internet
*	Technology and Programs Division (N2)
*	National Communications System
*	701 South Courthouse Road
*	Arlington, VA 22204-2198
*	Tel: +1 703 607-6186   Fax: +1 703 607-4830
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *