Subject: john klensin evaluates ICANN

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:02:42 -0500 (EST)

>From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
>
>First of all, without commenting on this particular story,
>everyone who is (or has been) concerned about the ICANN topic
>should be aware that its entire history, and most of its
>pre-history, has been characterized by various interest groups
>who will seek any forum they can find to advance their
>positions.  Many of them are extremely good at manipulating the
>press and getting unbalanced stories published, at finding
>politicians who see opportunities to impress their constituents
>and others with how Internet-involved they are, and so on.  Most
>of the news stories have at least some roots in the truth, but
>the slant, spin, or interpretations can sometimes be quite
>impressive. 

...

>choose-it-yourself DNS roots and structures (where no one had to
>worry about uniqueness of names and each structure made up its
>own rules for dealing with potential conflicts). 

Pot. Kettle. Black.

--

 /"\                         / http://www.dnso.com
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / http://www.open-rsc.org
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://www.vrx.net http://support.open-rsc.org

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:06:42 -0800

you have a new email address for me to add to the sociopath filter, eh?

randy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:33:42 -0600

> >own rules for dealing with potential conflicts).

Somebody is unclear on the concept of "metaphor" I think. I'm not aware of
John attempting to choose his own root or make up his own uniqueness magic.