Subject: Multicast File Distribution protocols?

From: Mark Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Feb 2001 11:05:02 -0800

ISTR reading an RFC or ID awhile back about using multicast to
distribute files to many hosts from a central server via
multicast. But I'm having no luck today with the search engines, and
can't find it again.

Can anyone post a pointer?

-- 
Mark Atwood   | I'm wearing black only until I find something darker.
[email-masked] | 
http://www.pobox.com/~mra

---

From: John Border <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:34:20 -0500

Starburst published an ID a long time ago which I remember reading.  But,
I don't think it became an RFC and I don't have a pointer to it (and the ID
has long since expired).  (I might be wrong about the RFC.  It is worth
checking.)

    Are you looking for specific product information or ideas on the concept
in general?  My company makes a satellite based product called Package
Delivery which you should be able to get info about from our web site
(www.hns.com).  For general information, the Reliable Multicast Transport
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/rmt-charter.html) working group is
currently working on standardizing reliable multicast file transport
protocols.

John

---

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:00:56 -0600

> Can anyone post a pointer?

Here's one:

http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-miller-mftp-spec-03.html

I'm curious what happened to Starburst <http://www.starburstcom.com>. 
Their mftp was pretty cool, but it looks like they are no longer around.

John

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:38:58 +0000

before you do multicast file transfer, you need to define multicast
transport

right place to look for this is the RMT working group (see ietf web
pages for links) who have LOTS of ideas - the stuff below is part of
the (much bigger now) design space...

 >>Their mftp was pretty cool, but it looks like they are no longer around.

 cheers

   jon

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:03:33 -0500

> Their mftp was pretty cool, but it looks like they are no longer around.

Bought by Adero Inc.:

http://www.adero.com/news_events/pressRelease76.html