Subject: DNSng: where to discuss/get info?

From: "Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:44:45 +0700

Hello:

Well, the current DNS was designed around 1983 by 
Mockapetris et. al. ( See also http://gnIETF.vlsm.org/127.txt ).
AFAIK, it was based on assumptions like a "single root"/
"single person authority", a simple categorizing scheme (.edu, 
.gov, ...), etc. Unfortunately, nowadays, XYZZY lawyers believe 
that XYZZY is entitled to XYZZY.net, XYZZY.com, XYZZY.org, 
XYZZY.ALL-TLDs, etc.

So the questions are:
- why not design a new DNS scheme?
- is there any WG, or organization, or list, or whatever
  which is actively discussing the TECHNICAL (not political)
  aspect of how a new DNS scheme should be?
- for example, what is the technical problem if everyone is 
  running hir own "address book"; so that "my-favorite-soda" 
  or "soda" will be mapped to whatever favorite soda 
  (Dr. Pepper for myself :-).
- or, what is the technical problem, if creating about 40++ 
  "alternate" TLDs like: "0", "1", ... "A", "B", "C", ... 
  "Z", ".", ....  Example: the classical ".com" will be
  mapped to TLD "m", etc.
- is NameDroppers the answer?

regards,

-- 
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
- Mr.LOPA-LOPA... HAMtastic,MENKEHstic,YUSRILbis...|Shaggy