Subject: BURP BoF Announcement

From: Subir Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:24:53 -0500

Basic User Registration Protocol (BURP) BOF
===========================================

Chairs: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
               Subir Das <[email-masked]>

Agenda:
-------

Problem
Statement                                                             5
Mins
   - Basavaraj Patil/Subir Das
     <draft-das-burp-requirements-01.txt>
     <draft-soliman-burp-requirements-00.txt>

Presentations on work area                                           30
Mins
   - Bernard Aboba
   - Anand Balachandran
   - Henry Haverinen/Yoshihiro Ohba
   - George Tsirtsis/Pat Calhoun

Discussion of related I-Ds                                            10
Mins
   <draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt>
   <draft-perkins-aaav6-02.txt>

Discussion of problem statement and charter          10 Mins

Yay or Nay     5 Mins

BOF Description
---------------

Problem statement:
------------------

Most networks require a user to register and provide authentication
information including their credentials before being allowed access or
authorized to use certain resources. Dial-up networks and others have
relied on PPP's capability to do user authentication in conjunction
with AAA(RADIUS) as a means to the process of user
registration. Wireless cellular networks have relied on specific layer
2 identifiers and layer 3 messaging (NOT IP) to accomplish user
registration.
However as new types of networks such as wireless LANS are deployed in
hotspot areas, and other new types of access networks are deployed
which provide connectivity to the Internet, the legacy mechanisms may
not be appropriate in such scenarios. The BOF aims to determine if a
registration protocol decoupled from the lower layers is needed. Such
a protocol has many potential applications.

Potential applications:
-----------------------

The Applications include access control and selectively supplying
enhanced network services such as a local SIP proxy or enhancing
QoS. Registration can be used to provide Internet accessing
at places such as airports, shopping  centers,  stadiums,
or hotels. At its simplest the network may provide a "dumb pipe" and
give "all-or-nothing"  access based on the registration. Alternatively,
a service provider may allow free access to local (hotel or airport)
websites (e.g., to provide area guide information), but may not allow
the unauthenticated/non-registered user for  accessing  global  web
sites  out of the subnet.

BOF purpose
-----------

The purpose of this BOF is to determine the need for a simple or basic
user registration protocol. This protocol which would be a UNI, would
interact with a AAA infrastructure, that exists in the network which
would provide the authentication, authorization and accounting
capabilities. The intent of the BOF is also to investigate and
determine other requirements for such a protocol in addition to
looking at other solutions that exist today which tackle the same
problem domain.

There are at least four I-Ds that provide more details and background
on the problem domain and some initial requirements. We recommend
reading these I-Ds, but we expect active participation in the discussion

itself.

draft-das-burp-requirements-01.txt
draft-soliman-burp-requirements-00.txt
draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt
draft-perkins-aaav6-02.txt