Subject: Re: An alternative to TCP (part 1)

From: "Jun'an Gao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 10:21:42 +0800

>> 6.  Doing traffic shaping at the network edge is better than on the host node for
> The host *is* the edge of the network.

I'm sorry to have not mentioned that I consider the host nodes, or the end nodes, are not edges but instead something attaching on network edges. I consider the very last hub, or the access router which the end nodes connected to as the 'network edge'. And I'm sorry not to mention that practically  it is probably better to do traffic shaping at the service provider network edge, for some reason of accouting, congestion control, or required by service-level-agreement (I don't think throwing bandwidth at the QoS issue is a good choice in the near foreseeable future, especially for the enterprise users.).

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:07:05 -0500

Jun'an Gao wrote:

> I'm sorry to have not mentioned that I consider the host nodes, or the end nodes, are not edges but instead something attaching on network edges. I consider the very last hub, or the access router which the end nodes connected to as the 'network edge'.

So there's no network between me and another computer on the same unswitched Ethernet?

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Piscatorice non aristotelice.                |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Kevin Farley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:13:38 -0800 (PST)

> > I'm sorry to have not mentioned that I consider the host nodes, or
> the end nodes, are not edges but instead something attaching on
> network edges. I consider the very last hub, or the access router
> which the end nodes connected to as the 'network edge'.
> 

So you think your PC is the edge of the Internet?

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:17:47 -0500

> So you think your PC is the edge of the Internet?

Isn't that what the end-to-end principle means?

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |World domination should never be left to chance.|
[email-masked]|                                                |
\=================================================================/