Subject: Internet Governance - UPDATE

From: Jay Fenello <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:18:13 -0500

FYI:

>To: [email-masked]
>From: Jay Fenello <[email-masked]>
>Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:09:41 -0500
>Subject: [awpd] Internet Governance - UPDATE
>
>
>Hello,
>
>For everyone who is interested in what's wrong with our
>country, our society, our government, and our world ...
>
>... Senator Conrad Burns (R-MT), Chairman of the Communications 
>Subcommittee of the Senate's Commerce, Science, and Transportation 
>Committee, will be holding hearings on ICANN tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. 
>in room 253 of the Russell Senate Office Building.  
>
>ICANN is the secretive new Internet Governance body formed
>under the Clinton administration back in 1998.  Critics charge
>that it is a front for multinational corporations who seek to 
>control the world-wide Internet, much like the WTO currently
>controls world-wide Trade.  In fact, they are both based on
>the same model.
>
>The witnesses at tomorrow's hearing include Mike Roberts, 
>ICANN president and one of the insiders who has controlled 
>the organization since its inception.  
>
>Opposite Mike is Karl Auerbach, the North American At-Large 
>Director recently elected in the world's first global election.  
>Karl is a strong critic of the ICANN takeover, especially the 
>recent changes in decision making within the ICANN Board.  
>Since the election, almost all decisions are now being made by 
>an "executive committee," a subset of the ICANN board designed 
>to keep the new Directors out of the process.
>
>Expect *fireworks* at tomorrow's sessions!!!
>
>Last week, the House held similar hearings.
>http://www.house.gov/commerce/hearings/telecom02082001.htm
>
>Here are some memorable quotes from that one:
>
>"[ICANN] appears to be accountable to no one except 
>perhaps God Almighty." -- Dingell
>
>"Events at the Vatican are shrouded in less mystery 
>than the process by which ICANN chooses TLDs" -- Markey 
>
>"ICANN has the authority to set public policy for the 
>Internet, and it's got a history of perhaps trying to 
>overstep that power." -- Sheffield
>
>
>To learn more about last week's hearings, see also:
>
>ICANN Under Attack (Network World Fusion)
>http://tm0.com/thestandard/sbct.cgi?s=64386407&i=301965&d=1009354 
>
>U.S. Lawyers Criticize ICANN (Reuters) 
>http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,41699,00.html 
>
>ICANN Chairman Responds To House Charges 
>http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news/article/1,2171,8_583731,00.html 
>
>Cerf's Up! Congress Grills ICANN Chair on Domain Names 
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2683840,00.html 
>
>Domain Name Selection Process Under Fire
>http://www.msnbc.com/news/528384.asp
>
>
>+++
>
>Jay Fenello
>------------------------------------
>http://www.fenello.com 678-585-9765
>Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World
>--------------------------------------------------------
>"All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of
>advice.  I should not speak so boldly if it were my due
>to be believed"  -- Montaigne
>
>+++ 
>
>This message is from the "Aligning With Purpose Discussion" list.
>Please send subcribe requests to [email-masked], 
>and unsubscribe requests to [email-masked].

+++

Jay Fenello
------------------------------------
http://www.fenello.com  678-585-9765
Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World
--------------------------------------------------------
"All I say is by way of discourse, and nothing by way of
advice.  I should not speak so boldly if it were my due
to be believed"  -- Montaigne