Subject: Announcement: new email reflector for IP over InfiniBand

From: [email-masked] (Dan Cassiday - High End Server Systems)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:25:14 -0500 (EST)

This note is to announce a new IETF email reflector to discuss methods for
running IP traffic over an InfiniBand fabric.  A BOF on this subject
has been proposed for the March IETF meeting.

To join the reflector, send email to [email-masked] with
"Subscribe ipoverib" in the body of the message.

InfiniBand is an emerging standard intended as an interconnect for
processor and I/O systems and devices.  It was developed by the
InfiniBand Trade Association.  Version 1.0 of the spec is available at
http://www.infinibandta.org/ (click on Infiniband Specification Volume 1
& 2 graphic and select non-member free download)

IP is one type of traffic (and a very important one) that could use this
interconnect.  Several member companies within the InfiniBand Trade
Association have expressed an interest in standardizing the handling of
IP and ARP over InfiniBand (IB). This specification would benefit
greatly from a standardized method of handling IP traffic on IB fabrics.

To this end, a BOF has been requested at the March IETF meeting.  The
purpose of this meeting is to ascertain the interest level of, and to
establish goals for an IETF WG.  This working group would be responsible
for standardizing a specification that will allow IP and ARP to ride
over IB.

The current plan is to combine this BOF with another IB related BOF.
Proposed agenda for the combined BOF:

  -  intro/background (45 minutes or less)
  -  IP over IB issues (45 minutes)
  -  IB MIB (45 minutes)
  -  wrap up and next steps (15 minutes)

Proposed goals of a IPoverIB WG:

   The WG would be responsible for development of a specification for IP
   over IB.  This specification would include procedures and protocols for
   the broadcast of ARP packets between InfiniBand devices and an
   encapsulation mechanism to carry IP payloads.  This would include both
   IPv4 and IPv6.  The specification would include sufficient detail to
   enable interoperable implementations of IP protocols on IBA fabrics.

Proposed objectives for the WG: 

1. Specify a Standards Track procedure for supporting ARP/ND packets,
   and resolving IP to IB MAC address and IB MAC to IB port address  

2. Specify a Standards Track encapsulation for carrying IP over IB, both
   unicast and multicast. 

Anyone interested in contributing to or learning more about this effort
is invited to join the reflector.  

Comments are solicited on the above plan and proposed items.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:23:07 -0800

> & 2 graphic and select non-member free download)

Would it be possible to modify this site so the spec is free
and did NOT require 'registration'?

Joe