Subject: Re: BGP AS

From: leo vegoda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:04:16 +0100

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 03:23:04PM -0500, in message <[email-masked]>, Dave Robinson ([email-masked]) wrote: Re: BGP AS
> Hi all,
> 
> 	What do I need to get an AS on the Internet?  Money, a certain
> number of IP's, the right ISP?  Does anyone have specifics?

<URL: ftp://ftp.ripe.net/rfc/rfc1930.txt>

Guidelines for creation, selection, and registration of an Autonomous
System (AS)

5. Criteria for the decision -- do I need an AS?

  *    Multi-homed site

[snip]

        This is ALMOST THE ONLY case where a network operator should
        create its own AS number. In this case, the site should ensure
        that it has the necessary facilities to run appropriate routing
        protocols, such as BGP4.

This RFC is also a BCP.

HTH,

-- 
leo vegoda