Subject: MIME Format

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:42:45 +0100

Hello men,

What about Partial subtype in Message Media type, is it currently (and often)
use ?

Thanks for your answers,

     Lionel.

---

From: "Liz Walter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:14:49 -0700

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt.  So, a gentle reminder.  There
are women out here too.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 06:43
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MIME Format

Hello men,

What about Partial subtype in Message Media type, is it currently (and
often)
use ?

Thanks for your answers,

     Lionel.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:21:13 -0500

> What about Partial subtype in Message Media type, is it currently (and often)

It's currently in use.  It was in use more a decade ago when most sites still
had absurdly low limits on maximum SMTP message size (like 64K or so), and there
weren't any good alternatives to get a file from point A to point B.

These days, 2M-10M seems to be a more common limit, and shipping a file
bigger than *that* is usually best done with a FTP or HTTP server.  However,
there are still occasions when you need a way to split a file up to get
it to somebody who's trapped behind a brain-damaged firewall or similar
connectivity problem.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:42:33 -0500

>>>>> "Valdis" == Valdis Kletnieks <[email-masked]> writes:
    Valdis> These days, 2M-10M seems to be a more common limit, and shipping a file

  yes, and it is very annoying. It causes huge problems for mail systems that 
are abused into file transfer systems.

    Valdis> there are still occasions when you need a way to split a file up to get
    Valdis> it to somebody who's trapped behind a brain-damaged firewall or similar
    Valdis> connectivity problem.
  
  You mean, for instance, like anything less than an ADSL?

  Works needs to be done at making file transfer services more available.

] Train travel features AC outlets with no take-off restrictions|gigabit is no[
]   Michael Richardson, Solidum Systems   Oh where, oh where has|problem  with[
]     [email-masked]   www.solidum.com   the little fishy gone?|PAX.port 1100[
] panic("Just another NetBSD/notebook using, kernel hacking, security guy");  [