Subject: note from the operational side of the house

From: [email-masked] (Sean Doran)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 23:52:25 +0100 (CET)

I realize that this is more of an operator's nightmare than anything else,
but nevertheless, some of you may be interested in this article:

http://www.business20.com/content/channels/technology/2001/03/02/27329

I wonder if the future's most effective denial-of-service attacks
will simply trigger semiautomatic "your customer XYZ isn't doing
enough to protect our intellectual property, so disconnect them,
or we'll increase your legal bills alot" claims from publishing
houses and the like.   This could be much harder to protect oneself
against in the long term than even distributed flood attacks.

I also wonder if this sort of thing is already happening.

	Sean.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 07:34:46 -0800

> I also wonder if this sort of thing is already happening.

i think smb can give you a refernce to public reportage of this very
problem in an isp with which i am rather familiar.

randy