Subject: Pervasive Computing 2001

From: Pat Flanagan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:51:15 -0500

"PERVASIVE COMPUTING 2001"
--A two-day industry conference--

May 1-2, 2001
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Gaithersburg, Maryland

For more information about this 2-day conference, please see our website at
http://www.nist.gov/pc2001

You are invited to attend NIST's second annual Pervasive Computing 
conference. It will focus on the challenges industry faces in developing 
practical and cost-effective applications for pervasive computing 
technologies.

Leaders in applications and technology from industry, academia and 
government will make presentations about their goals, approaches, products, 
and projects, and how they plan to deploy future pervasive computing 
systems. The featured conference speakers include executives and 
researchers from Accenture, Carlson Hotels, Ford Motor Co., Intel Corp., 
Hewlett-Packard, IBM Corp., Kaiser Permanente, Microsoft Corp., Rutgers 
University, the U.S. Naval Academy, NIST, and many others.

Pervasive Computing is a term for the strongly emerging trend toward:
Numerous, casually accessible, often invisible computing devices
Frequently mobile or embedded in the environment
Connected to an increasingly ubiquitous network infrastructure composed of 
a wired core and wireless edges

For Conference Registrants:
For 2001, the spotlight is on applications. Developers will discuss new, 
creative ways of performing user tasks. Requirements, risks and 
dependencies upon technology and infrastructure will be addressed. 
Technologists will add to the information base established at Pervasive 
Computing 2000. This conference is open to anyone who expects to be a 
pervasive computing stakeholder.

For Information Technology Businesses:
Pervasive Computing is seen as enabling next generation applications. 
Failure to see and act upon this trend may be a very costly business 
strategy. If history holds, innovative firms that establish a critical mass 
early in the generation life cycle could reap superior returns on investment.

For Computing Users:
The underlying premise is compelling: simplicity of use, ubiquitous access, 
minimal technical expertise, reliability, more intuitive interaction, 
improved customer service, and enhanced competitiveness.

Topics:
. Pervasive computing industry perspectives
. Applications in specific topical areas, including:
health care, automotive, smart homes, work environment,
traveler services, wireless ticketing, mobile commerce,
business applications, and more ...
. Technology topics including:
mobile face recognition, power multi-hop wireless networking,
mobile speech recognition, ad hoc networking/PANs,
human-computer interaction, pico-cellular wireless, service
discovery, human-centered interoperability, programming
pervasive computing applications, innovative pervasive computing
devices, and more ...

Why You Should Attend:
. To learn from experts about Pervasive Computing
- technical successes and problems
- its user applications
- current and future capabilities
- and economic promise
. To gain substantive support, through understanding industry direction, 
for your new business development plans
. To establish valuable industry contacts
. To communicate your needs and issues, so they may be addressed
. To participate in an ongoing industry-NIST collaboration leading to 
standards of enduring quality

To Register:
mailto:[email-masked]; Online: http://www.nist.gov/pc2001

Technical Contact: Bill Young, Phone: 301.975.8701, Fax: 301.975.5287, 
mailto:[email-masked]

For more information, see the conference website at http://www.nist.gov/pc2001

Patricia Flanagan
[email-masked]
(301)975-4495
NIST
Bldg. 225, Room B254
Stop 8940
Gaithersburg, MD 20899