Subject: IETF Travel Woes (was Deja Vu)

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:30:30 -0700

> London is well known to be 
> one of the most expensive cities in the world for hotel accommodation.
> It would be a bad thing if clue was excluded because of the total cost
> of a meeting being very high.

But hopefully IETF attendies are of the mindset that can forgo the
ensuite hotel room for B&B accomodation or the like. London is
going to be interesting as we're going to be there at the peak of
the holiday season, when accomodation rates are at their highest
and room availability is at its lowest.

For travel planning purposes it's important to me that the location
of the London meeting be announced as early as possible. I doubt
very much I'll be staying in the conference hotel (or anywhere near
it), which means I need to book alternate accomodation as early as
possible. (BTW, if you want to reproduce the Minneapolis-in-winter
experience in Europe, I highly recommend Brighton in February.)

Also, to follow up on (I think it was) Melinda's comments about
airfare costs, I'll note that a return ticket for Edmonton-Minneapolis
(a 2.5 hour flight) was just under CAD$1700. A return ticket for
Edmonton-London (about 9 hours) can be had for around CAD$900.

--lyndon

---

From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:24:49 -0800

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
	[..]
> ensuite hotel room for B&B accomodation or the like.

In my experience IETF attendees care little about the room
itself, only that it is within short(ish) walking distance
of the meetings rooms, hallways, and bars wherein which
their work is getting done. Far-flung-yet-cheap accomodation
is false economy for those there to work.

cheers,
gja

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:15:13 -0500

> ensuite hotel room for B&B accomodation or the like.

[...]

> possible.

But, if you're not going to be staying in the conference hotel, you have
more options, and you can book without knowing precisely where the
conference hotel is.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Your reality, sir, is lies & balderdash, and I|
[email-masked]|am pleased to say I have no grasp on it        |
|                |whatsoever!" --Baron Munchausen                |
\================================================================/

---

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:07:46 -0700

> more options, and you can book without knowing precisely where the

But to do that sanely I want to be within walking distance of a
tube station that's on a direct line to the conference venue, thus
the need for it's location.

--lyndon

---

From: "Jasen G. Strutt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:34:48 -0500

I agree....gja

I ask for a bed, which is clean and a shower with hot water. The room needs
to be rather close to a bar. (for working purposes of course). In all other
circumstances, I carry a Leatherman, thus quick repairs and modifications
are not too far fetched. (ie: shower heads that are restricted with low
pressure flow restriction valves) ((upgrading from 10BaseT to gigE so to
speak :-D ))

Regards-
Jasen Strutt

---

From: "Timothy J. Salo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:48:00 -0600 (CST)

> From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[email-masked]>
> Subject: IETF Travel Woes  (was Deja Vu)
> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:30:30 -0700
> 	[...]
> (BTW, if you want to reproduce the Minneapolis-in-winter

Just for the record, the IETF has never met in Minnesota in winter.
Apparently, even highly evolved (or adapted, or something) Southern
Californians without jackets managed to survive a week at the Minnesota
(not in winter) IETF, something that wouldn't necessarily be true during
a real Minnesota winter.  (Actually, this aspect of the climate is
generally regarded as a "feature"; something about "Keeps the riff-raff
out", or something like that.)

Of course, it's trying to snow today.

Never mind...

		-tjs