Subject: Some data Re: Again: Number of Firewall/NAT Users

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 01:35:56 -0800

Jiri Kuthan wrote:
	[..]
> I would like to re-raise the question:
> 
> "is anyone aware of any estimations of fraction of Internet users
> who are behind firewalls and NATs?"

So, this question piqued my interest. Figured I'd take a
bash at estimating NAT usage using the online QuakeIII community
as a reference. Cobbled together two Q3 servers, logged client
port numbers, and looked for NAPT 'fingerprint' of clients coming
in on unexpected UDP ports (Q3 client side seems to always use
27960 if not mangled by NAPT). Using an indirect, and somewhat
arm-wavy method I estimate between 18 and 19% of the players
on my servers were behind NAT boxes. A bit more discussion is
at:

http://members.home.net/garmitage/things/nat-quake3.html

(Usual caveats: analysis may have entirely missed the point,
clicking on the link voids your warranty, life is too short,
etc..)

cheers,
gja
________________________________________________________________________
Grenville Armitage                    http://members.home.net/garmitage/

---

From: "Kyle Lussier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:35:25 -0500

> on my servers were behind NAT boxes. A bit more discussion is

How about for business users?  If the assumption can be made
that most Q3 players are home based (which would probably
have a lower incidence of NATs) ~20% sounds high.  Of
course that could be because of sevice providers.

But does anyone have a better idea for business users?

Kyle Lussier
www.AutoNOC.com

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:14:48 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, Kyle Lussier typ

 >>course that could be because of sevice providers.

according to some measurements, most game players are at WORK.
+
in some parts of the world, most HOME users aere behind NATs
 
 >>But does anyone have a better idea for business users?

 cheers

   jon