Subject: RFCs in PDF

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:17:18 -0500

At one time I was told by several folks that Windows users have a difficult 
time dealing with RFCs because there is no program that ships with Windows 
that can print RFCs while preserving page breaks.   (of course, some people
might be content to view RFCs on a screen, but the people who were complaining 
were in fact printer developers - who presumably prefer hardcopy :)

This was a few years ago, so perhaps this situation has changed somewhat.
But just on a whim I decided to produce a set of RFCs in PDF and solicit
feedback about how useful they are.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/RFC-PDF/index.html

Keith

p.s. Don't expect these to be any more beautiful than their originals - 
the goal has been to reproduce them faithfully, not to pretty them up.

---

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:49:39 -0800 (PST)

The only way I have found on Win 2K to print RFCs while preserving
formatting is to ps-print them from emacs running on Windows.

You can even print to a networked printer.

Bora

---

From: Srihari Raghavan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:55:32 -0500

Hi,
  Thank you very much. It is very useful.

Srihari Raghavan
Graduate Student
Dept. of Computer Science
Virginia Tech
=========================

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 12:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFCs in PDF

might be content to view RFCs on a screen, but the people who were
complaining

Keith

---

From: Dharani Vilwanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:51:16 -0500

Hi,

Doesnt WORD preserve it? I thought WORD works well for RFCs. OSPFv2 RFC didnt print
well, however.

Thanks
dharani

---

From: Maurizio Patrignani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:12:32 +0200 (METDST)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Dharani Vilwanathan wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Doesnt WORD preserve it? I thought WORD works well for RFCs. OSPFv2
> RFC didnt print well, however.

  I had the same problem with the same RFC (2328).  
  Some RFCs contain plenty of tabs, both in the ascii figures and in the
text itself.  Text file tabs are assumed to jump to a column that is a
multiple of 8 (that is 8,16,24,...).  I don't know a way for specifying
this in WORD.
  I defined a .dot template, instead, in which the tabs are placed at the
following positions: 0.66", 1.32", 1.98", 2.64", 3.3", 3.97", 4.62",
5.28", 5.94", and 6.6"

It works, at least for RFC 2328, but maybe the values may be better
adjusted.

Bye,
Titto

-- 
Maurizio "Titto" Patrignani 
Dip. Inf. e Autom. - Universita' di Roma Tre
http://www.dia.uniroma3.it/~patrigna     @}-,-`-,---

---

From: "Dharani Vilwanathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:32:25 -0500

Hi,

> > http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/RFC-PDF/index.html

I am not able to access this page. Any problem?

Thanks
dharani