Subject: ptomaine - routing table growth and aggregation

From: abha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:55:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi All.

As most of you are aware, routing table growth has been an issue of much
concern.  A few of us have been talking about temporary methods to
alleviate the drain on Internet resources.  In the vein of these
discussions, we started to consider aggregation and filtering techniques
to reduce the amount of routing information carried by routers with global
knowledge.  I've included a pointer to a very rough draft that Randy and I
(with the assistance of some others) have been working on.  Keep in mind
that this not a recommendation for aggregation techniques, but rather
intended as a discussion of the feasibility of such methods.  We believe
that it is interesting to determine why and when people announce
sub-aggregates and what information would be lost if such paths were
aggregated.  We hope that is will encourage discussion from the community
with us, in order for us to continue to research the impact of
implementing these methods.

We encourage your input and hope that folks will discuss their concerns as
we continue to refine these ideas.

http://www.merit.edu/~ahuja/draft-ptomaine-taxonomy-00.txt

We've set up a mailing list for this:

[email-masked]

To get on the list, send subscription to:

[email-masked]

TUESDAY, March 20 at 1300-1400
==============================

DESCRIPTION:

The purpose of the Prefix Taxonomy Ongoing Measurement & Inter Network
Experiment BOF is discuss the problem of routing table growth and possible
interim methods for reducing the impact of routing table resource
consumption within a network.   The BOF aims to discuss the feasibility of
filtering and aggregating prefixes to reduce an individual networks
routing table size with the least loss of routing information.  In order
to aid this discussion, we present a taxonomy to describe the types of
routing prefixes received and sent in the Internet today.

GOALS:

1) To provide a taxonomy to describe prefix information for peer review.
2) To discuss filtering/aggregating prefix information and to discuss what
   support from protocols or vendor knobs might be helpful in doing this.
3) To determine the long and short term effects of filtering/aggregating
   prefixes to reduce router resource consumption.

AGENDA:
- agenda bashing
- defining the problem - routing table growth
- review of taxonomy to frame discussion
- information loss - what routes can we eliminate safely
- other ideas/discussion

=abha ;)

++++++++++++++++++
abha ahuja
<[email-masked]>