Subject: IETF 50 BOF -- HIP

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:29:24 -0500

TUESDAY, March 20, 2001
1415-1515 Afternoon Sessions II

Host Identity Payload (HIP) BOF

Chair

	Tim Shepard <[email-masked]>

Area Director(s):

	Jeffrey Schiller <[email-masked]>
	Marcus Leech <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:

TBD

Mailing Lists:

  General Discussion:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:		http://mail.freeswan.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec
  Archive:		http://mail.freeswan.org/pipermail/hipsec/
  Web Site:		http://homebase.htt-consult.com/HIP.html

Description of Working Group:

IP has suffered for the lack of security. Efforts like IPsec and DNSSEC 
have added various levels of security to IP, but have not addressed some of 
the fundamental security deficiencies in IP. By adding a cryptographic Host 
Identity and a payload for
its exchange between two hosts, we can greatly enhance the security of IP 
while addressing a fundamental flaw in IP. This flaw being the lack of a 
true identity for a host that is independent of how IP packets are routed 
to a host.

By adding a Host Identity namespace to the IP protocol, the role of the IP 
address changes to simply a packet forwarding namespace, since all of the 
higher protocols are bound to the Host Identity. This provides for cleaner 
host mobility and addressing realm transition (i.e. NAT) methodology. 
However, adding a Host Identity provides for a new class of Denial Of
Service attacks, and thus the Host Identity Payload (HIP) and its exchange 
protocol are carefully crafted to not only avoid introducing DOS attacks, 
but also to lessen the opportunity for the existing transport level DOS 
attacks.

The working group will produce two standards-track documents:

The Host Identity Architecture
The Host Identity Payload and Protocol

And one Informational document:

The Host Identity Implementation

Goals and Milestones:

Feb 01 Submit HIP drafts
Jun 01 Finalize HIP drafts
Sep 01 HIP specification to standards track

Internet-Drafts:

Host Identity Payload Architecture - draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-02.txt
Host Identity Payload And Protocol - draft-moskowitz-hip-03.txt
Host Identity Payload Implementation - draft-moskowitz-hip-impl-01.txt

No Request For Comments

Tentative Agenda

Agenda Bashing          5 min
HIP presentation        20 min
Discussion              20 min
WG Charter              10 min
Wrap up                 5 min

---

From: "Vijay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:49:46 +0530

Hey,
 
Please suggest me how get RFC 2705bis,Jan 2001. 
 A Silly Request, as iam in the initial stages of the Stack Design.
 
 Regards 
 Vijay