Subject: how far wireless?

From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:21:51 -0600

how far does the 802.11 signal reach?  It doesn't go to the upper floors,
but it goes a block down the street to Caribou Coffee.

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:17:01 -0800 (PST)

There's a yagi on the third floor pointing at the english pub next to the
coffee house...

On the 16th floor I actually get reflections off the building across the
street from the same yagi... enough to see traffic but not enough to be
real usable.

joelja

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Jaeggli				       [email-masked]
Academic User Services			     [email-masked]
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:10:19 -0800 (PST)

Rodney,

I'm on the 19th floor of the hilton and get < 5% packet loss from inside
my room. Its the first time I've had wireless access in my hotel room. I
don't know why I'm blessed with it, but is sure is nice.

-rick