Subject: Re: Out of Office AutoReply: switch vs router

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:44:46 -0500

So, my message to the IETF list produced the usual cascade of "Out-Of-Office
Autoreply" messages, fromn people I've never heard of, and who *certainly*
weren't in the "To:" or "Cc:" fields of the header.

I'm going to withhold the names of the guilty (they were all from completely
different companies, BTW), but I note that for all except one, their message
header included:

	X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)

Anyone know whose email software this is? (Since nothing else seemed to
display this failure mode, I suspect it's specific to this particular software
that its default configuration is to send autoreplies to all messages, even
ones not directly addressed to the sender - if it even recognizes the
difference.) The odd man out said:

	X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2651.58)

which I guess is just a slightly older version of the same thing. (I did see
one with an:

	X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400

header, which leads me to guess whose software this is, but before jumping to
that conclusion, let's see if there's definitive knowledge.)

	Noel

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:55:06 -0700 (MST)

> From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>

> ...
> Anyone know whose email software this is? ...

After my previous modest proposals that the IETF list reject all
messages displaying "Mailer: Internet Mail Service" stigmata,
I was told that it's Microsoft's.  That's consistent
with some of the answers http://www.google.com gives to the
question "Mailer: Internet Mail Service", such as 
http://support.microsoft.com/support/Exchange/Content/HowTos/dialupims.asp
(If you use Netscape, you may have to turn off Java and Javascript to read
such Microsft content.  At least I do.)

See also the results of 
http://search.microsoft.com/us/Default.asp?so=RECCNT&qu=Out+of+Office+AutoReply&boolean=ALL&btnsearch=Search&i=00&i=02&i=04&i=06&i=08&i=01&i=03&i=05&i=07&i=09&p=1&nq=NEW

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q271/7/09.ASP
and 
Let me renew my that modest proposal.  Those who are sufficently
technically proficient can arrange to use something that is not
so likely to be abusive, and those who aren't can get someone else

---

From: "McGowan, Jeremy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:27:12 -0500

Hello,

X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19) represents a service within
Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 that is responsible for all Internet services.

Regards,

Jeremy McGowan
Systems Consultant, MCSE, CCDA, CCNA, CSSP, Master TCP/IP Administrator, A+,
Network + 
atec|group 
Technology Integration Services 
1762 Central Avenue 
Albany, NY 12205 
Phone: 518.452.3700 
Fax:   518.452.3939 
Pager: 518.342.9662 
http://www.atecgroup.com
mailto:[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Noel Chiappa [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 9:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Out of Office AutoReply: switch vs router

display this failure mode, I suspect it's specific to this particular
software

header, which leads me to guess whose software this is, but before jumping
to
that conclusion, let's see if there's definitive knowledge.)

	Noel