Subject: burstification?

From: Davide Careglio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:29:49 +0200

Dear All,

perhaps someone can help me. What does burstification mean?

Thank you in advance

Regards,
Davide

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:09:17 -0500

> perhaps someone can help me. What does burstification mean?

Well, it sounds like it should mean "making something bursty";
but, really, it means that somebody's been making up words, and
you should ask them what they mean.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |You! Out of the gene pool!                   |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: "sebastien.dorey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:34:13 +0200

Burstification can happen at the Link Layer ie on  Optical Networks:
optical burst switching interface (burstification).
There are Edge Router Designed for Burst Switched WDM Networks: Design
and implementation of important components for operations such as
burstification (great amount) of packets, burst routing and switching,
channel scheduling in an edge router of WDM networks. Some router can
manage a great amount of traffic packet on the network this action.
I hope this will help.

Sebastien

--
What's important is not simplicity or complexity, but how you bridge the two.
                                                    Larry Wall, Aug. 25, 1998
Bsn  :(+33) (0)1.55.66.70.93
url :http://www.epita.fr/~dorey_s                Pager:(+33) (0)6.57.56.60.42

---

From: "A.E. Eckberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:48:48 -0500

Burstification is the opposite of smoothing -- making traffic more bursty.  This might be done artificially as part of a study on the impacts of traffic bustiness.  Also, many service mechanisms and protocol actions often tend to increase the burstiness in an information flow.