Subject: Mime format

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:58:48 +0100

Sir,

I am working on a new prg to analyze mails that were "encoded" in Mime format
and have two questions about this one.

Well ... the first :

In the case of Message Media Type, External-Body Subtype I don't understand very
well ftp, tftp and anon-ftp access types.

     Is the file (which is indicated with Name, Site parameters) present in the
mail ? Who executed ftp command, is man who send the mail or man who received it
?

====================================

Second and last question :

Always in case of Message Media Type, External-Body Subtype but Mail-Server
access-type.

     When and how this command can be used ? I don't know how I can used this
one with my mail server.

====================================

Thank to your answers.

     Lionel.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:43:02 -0500

> mail ? Who executed ftp command, is man who send the mail or man who received it

It is a set of parameters created by the *sender* of the mail, that tell the
*recipient* "here - run FTP like *THIS* to get the file".

We probably would have just put a URL like ftp://ftp-server.whatever.dom/some/path
instead, but that section of MIME was done in the early 90's and pre-dates
URLs.

>      When and how this command can be used ? I don't know how I can used this

It's not handled by your mail server.  It's handled by your mail *CLIENT*
(the program actually displaying the mail on your monitor).

-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:45:39 -0800 (PST)

> instead, but that section of MIME was done in the early 90's and pre-dates

Fixed some time ago. See RFC 2017.

				Ned