Subject: basic question on SNMPv1

From: "Shivendra Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:29:38 +0530

Hi all,

I have a very basic question on SNMP v1.
Can we have multiple IP addresses associated with a community  string in
SNMP v1( snmp v1 agent )?
Also, can we have multiple community string associated with a single IP
address?
How is the trap reporting supposed to behave in each of the above cases?

regards,
shivendra

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Mar 2001 07:53:10 -0800

>>>>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:29:38 +0530, "Shivendra Kumar" <[email-masked]> said:

Shivendra> Can we have multiple IP addresses associated with a
Shivendra> community string in SNMP v1( snmp v1 agent )?  Also, can we
Shivendra> have multiple community string associated with a single IP
Shivendra> address?  How is the trap reporting supposed to behave in
Shivendra> each of the above cases?

Yes.  There is not a required relationship between community strings
and agents that mandates a one to one mapping.  Some implementations,
however, may implement it that way but its not specified by the
protocol to do so.

Trap reporting is implementation dependent as well, but typically the
list of trap destinations would be configured with the community
string they wish to use when sending traps to that destination.
-- 
Wes Hardaker
NAI Labs
Network Associates