Subject: Re: Re[2]: I-D ACTION:draft-brezak-spnego-http-00.txt

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

A quick scan reveals lots of garbage in the internet drafts.
Until UTF-8 becomes the preferred encoding, rather than
second-guessing what these mystery bytes are supposed to be,
just apply a simple filter:

tr -d '[\200-\377]'

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Aronson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:29:51 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

 > My mail software is able to deal with 2022-encoded text, and 
 > I've often gotten mail that starts off with:
 > 
 > On Wed, 5 Sep 2001... <kanji or kana string here> said:
 > 
 > Now, that *displays* just fine for me, but I have to admit being
 > unable to look at a string of kanji and decide "recognized name" or
 > "never heard of this person before" the way I can for roman-based
 > names.  Do we want to encourage those whos names are non-roman-based
 > include a roman transliteration for the linguistically challenged,

Methinks you've hit on a good compromise here.  No need to *force* anyone to
do anything but the Lowest Common Denominator, but if someone has a name
that Just Doesn't Fit in "roman" characters, they can help their own
predicament (either be recognized by friends, or fail to provide a
transliteration on spam, so as to not be recognized by foes/victims).  For
readers interested in the actual "native" spelling, but with software unable
to display it, the writer could supply a URL to a web site that includes a
GIF/PNG/whatever of the name as spelled in "native" characters....

-- 
Dave Aronson, Software Engineer, +1-571-434-2039 V, +1-571-434-2001 F.
Cryptek Secure Communications, 1501 Moran Rd., Sterling, VA 20166 USA.
Opinions above are MINE, ALL MINE -- but for rent at reasonable rates.

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:34:48 GMT

*> 
  *> She thanked me for my suggestion, but seemed not to be interested in
  *> my offer to supply the format checking program.
  *> 
  *> I have a couple of questions regarding format policy:
  *> 
  *>   - Are unpaginated drafts acceptable?  I think they probably should
  *>     be (and have been accepted in the past) because I-D's are supposed
  *>     to serve for quick proposals as well as finished documents.  But
  *>     if a draft does contain pagination, then it should be limited to
  *>     58 lines as in the I-D guidelines and RFC 2223.
  *> 
  *>   - Is it accurate that I-D's and RFCs are supposed to contain only
  *>     the US-ASCII (7-bit) character set?  Or are we supposed to allow
  *>     for ISO-Latin-1 characters in people's names, etc.?  I thought I
  *>     saw a document somewhere that answered this question (and said
  *>     US-ASCII only), but RFC 2223 only says "The character codes are
  *>     ASCII" which may not be specific enough.

Steve,

Knowing Jon, we may suspect that little piece of ambiguity may have
been deliberate. ;-)

However, the RFC Editor is currently enforcing 7-bit ASCII.  We
recognize that this policy may not be the final answer.

RFC Editor