Subject: CAN I POST A TECHNICAL QUESTION REGARDING DOMAIN NAME SERVERS HERE?

From: "ANONYMOUS UNKNOWN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:48:37 +0900

Hi all,
       I have been carrying a burning desire within me to get the awnser to a question. But it might be a bit technical- it concerns a simple General Knowledge type query on Domain Name Servers.

       So what I want to know is whether am I allowed to post such technical questions here? Or is this mailing list only for discussion about who should get elected to ICANN boards e.t.c.

       Eagerly waiting for a response.
                                                                 SNODX

Make a difference, help support the relief efforts in the U.S.
http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:08:11 -0700

At 04:48 AM 9/20/2001, ANONYMOUS UNKNOWN wrote:
>So what I want to know is whether am I allowed to post such technical 
>questions here? Or is this mailing list only for discussion about who 
>should get elected to ICANN boards e.t.c.

if you start babbling about ICANN boards we might kick you off the list.

The Internet Engineering Task Force is about Internet Engineering, which is 
to say protocols and middleware. I would describe DNS as both a protocol 
and a set of middleware.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 02:32:37 -0400

> if you start babbling about ICANN boards we might kick you off the list.

A case could be made that the ICANN board is at least somewhat an IETF
concern, since we have a vested interest in making sure that there is
at least enough cluons there to move the needle on the cluon fluxometer.
We don't need them proposing technically unworkable schemes.

Long-time IETF readers probably recognise Fred's comment as a *mostly* empty
threat, considering the number of truly memorable net.kooks immortalized
in the ietf+censored mailing list's filters.  Of course, that was an older
time, before the days of SirCam and other silicon-based posters of nonsense.
The carbon-based posters were at least more random and less boring.  Let's
face it, the FlemBot, although annoying, was more interesting than Yet Another
SirCam Posting - except for the rare attachments that rated an "Oh MY".

Having said that, asking if it were permitted is probably a good idea,
as it allows those of us with weaker cardiovascular systems to avoid
the shock of a unexpectedly on-charter posting... ;)

/Valdis (who admits to occasionally leaving cookies out for the trolls, even
when he personally was low on cluons (which is most of the time ;) )

P.S. "Here troll troll troll... I have a nice chocolate chip cookie for you..."

---

From: vint cerf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:34:49 -0400

with apologies to IETFers and Fred Baker in particular:

recent ICANN nominations to Board service:

the PSO renominated me to serve on the board for another 3 years
the ASO nominated Lyman Chapin to serve for three years

vint cerf