Subject: ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 2001 22:55:07 +0000

Hi,

First, all my sympathy to all the people who lost friends and relative
in the US.

Now, I think the ietf/istf has a role to play in this tragedy. The
Internet seems to be to a near halt from where I stand, the Pacific
Islands. I think the Internet has never seen so much overload on its US
section...

I remembered at an Inet meeting that some ietf people were working on
emergency packets over internet to carry message for emergency service
despite overloads... There are may be other similar work...

I think the ietf should gather information, see the problems happening
on the network, and create a workgroup to propose solutions, so that
such things do not ripple on the Internet.

In tokyo at Inet 2000 there were presentations showing how Japan/taiwan
built some emergency networks to inform people about survivors to
disasters/istf, and what has been destroyed etc... Check the proceedings
on the www.isoc.org site.

Finnally, I have no idea if there is a relation, but the Pacific Islands
have been experiencing for about a week now problems with many US sites
(cf archives of picisoc mailing list pignet www.spc.int/picisoc/)

I think the Internet community has a role to play here...

Cheers.
[email-masked]

---

From: vint cerf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:53:29 -0400

I have not had reports of any major outages other than equipment directly
affected by the destruction of the World Trade Center and the strike
against the Pentagon. A great deal of restoration of long haul circuits
has already been accomplished according to my information. 

I have been on successful Instant Messaging sessions with people from
around the world, including some of the ICANN board members who are
stranded in various places (including me). 

I would be interested to learn more about Internet problems seen by
users over the course of this horrific tragedy.

Many feelings course through my mind as I continue to communicate with
others on Internet and follow events on the television. Words fail to
fully express them but grief and anger mix with an intensity I've never
felt before.

Vint Cerf

At 10:55 PM 9/11/2001 +0000, Franck Martin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>First, all my sympathy to all the people who lost friends and relative in the US.
>
>Now, I think the ietf/istf has a role to play in this tragedy. The Internet seems to be to a near halt from where I stand, the Pacific Islands. I think the Internet has never seen so much overload on its US section...
>
>I remembered at an Inet meeting that some ietf people were working on emergency packets over internet to carry message for emergency service despite overloads... There are may be other similar work...
>
>I think the ietf should gather information, see the problems happening on the network, and create a workgroup to propose solutions, so that such things do not ripple on the Internet.
>
>In tokyo at Inet 2000 there were presentations showing how Japan/taiwan built some emergency networks to inform people about survivors to disasters/istf, and what has been destroyed etc... Check the proceedings on the <http://www.isoc.org>www.isoc.org site.
>
>Finnally, I have no idea if there is a relation, but the Pacific Islands have been experiencing for about a week now problems with many US sites (cf archives of picisoc mailing list pignet <http://www.spc.int/picisoc/>www.spc.int/picisoc/)
>

---

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 02:05:23 +0200

> The Internet seems to be to a near halt from
> where I stand, the Pacific Islands. I think the
> Internet has never seen so much overload on its US
> section...

The reports I've seen indicate no significant overload overall, only an overload
on many news sites.