Subject: RE: Nimda virus and whois search...

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:57:49 +1200

I'm not considering it, unless it is REALLY justified. In my case I have a
small bandwidth that I pay a lot (64kbps USD4500/month). People not patching
their servers cost me a lot of money.

In other hand, I think IDS software should report not only the problem, but
also information to the human on how to tackle the problem. When you see a
problem with an IP reported by IDS, then you have to investigate yourself
(host, network,...). If it was done automatically for you then you would
have information to take a decision: who to e-mail, what to e-mail, should I
e-mail or call the FBI or do nothing,...

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Web site: http://www.sopac.org/
<http://www.sopac.org/> Support FMaps: http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/
<http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/> 

This e-mail is intended for its addresses only. Do not forward this e-mail
without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be necessarily
the views of SOPAC.

-----Original Message-----
From: stanislav shalunov [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 1 October 2001 3:55 
To: Franck Martin
Subject: Re: Nimda virus and whois search...

Please seriously consider not sending automated email in this way.
You're not making matters better by creating a storm of email messages
in addition to an already existing storm of HTTP queries.  Your
response might be worse than the original problem.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

"You wake me up early in the morning to tell me I am right?  Please
wait until I am wrong."	-- John von Neumann, on being phoned at 10 a.m.

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:33:23 -0700 (PDT)

*> 
  *> While I was implementing a perl script to catch nimda virus on Apache
  *> (www.digitalcon.ca/nimda/) and send an e-mail to the owner of the IP, I

It will come as a great surprise to many people to learn that someone
owns IP.  At one point, some eager beavers in the US government thought
they owned it, since they paid for its development.  But cooler heads
prevailed..

Bob Braden

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:54:46 +1200

I know that nobody Owns an IP, it is like Owning water and oxygen. Althought
we have water taxes but not yet oxygen taxes. It will come soon at the rate
the World pollutes (nobody talk about the Toxic Texan anymore)

Seriously, what is the appropriate term: owner, rentee, leaser ?

Franck Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Braden [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 1 October 2001 3:33 
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Nimda virus and whois search...

  *> 

Bob Braden