Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-brezak-spnego-http-00.txt

From: "John Brezak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:37:39 -0700

Before jumping to conclusions, where is the offending character? I try
to catch these, but sometimes they slip through. A little context from
the document will help me find them and correct them for a subsequent
submission to correct typos.

-----Original Message-----
From: Garrett Wollman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 9:27 AM
To: John Brezak
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-brezak-spnego-http-00.txt

<<On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:11:10 -0400, [email-masked] said:

> This document describes how Microsoft\306s Internet Explorer 5.0 and

This announcement continues a disturbing trend of MicrosoftSCII
appearing in what are supposed to be ASCII text documents.  It's
particularly egregious in this announcement, since there is no
Content-Type header indicating in what character set the \306 should be
rendered.  (In my system's default encoding, it's a capital
ae-ligature.)  The document itself also contains \373 characters as well
(seen as u-circumflex).

-GAWollman

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:53:18 -0400

> to catch these, but sometimes they slip through.

perhaps you should try proofreading these documents on a system that implements 
ASCII.  it's been around for a little while, you know.

Keith

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:11:41 +0100 (BST)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brezak-spnego-http-00.txt

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, John Brezak wrote:

> Before jumping to conclusions, where is the offending character?

In the first line of your abstract. The line was quoted for context.
A 'smart' Apostrophe, very appropriately used. (If it was "IETF's",
I'd wince.)

The circumflex is repeated in the header lines; you probably see an
em-dash.

> I try to catch these, but sometimes they slip through. A little
> context from the document will help me find them and correct them
> for a subsequent submission to correct typos.

I think it's reasonable to presume that you are familiar with your own
document. I mean, it's only six pages, and there's almost no original
content on three of them.

L.

IE5 supports Kerberos? Real Kerberos?

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>