Subject: Re: another new virus!

From: "Vidianand Baree" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:26:21 +0400

-----Original Message-----
    From: Vijay Anand <[email-masked]>
    To: wyatt andy <[email-masked]>; Vina Nursiah <[email-masked]>; vik <[email-masked]>; vijma <[email-masked]>; Vanesha <[email-masked]>; ti baree <[email-masked]>; Su Baree Sunnyasi <[email-masked]>; Sorensen frode <[email-masked]>; Sooren <[email-masked]>; shalinee baree <[email-masked]>; scott <[email-masked]>; rya <[email-masked]>; Rishi Baungally <[email-masked]>; prit <[email-masked]>; oliver <[email-masked]>; navin <[email-masked]>; Munohur Bikasna <[email-masked]>; Mungroo Manessa <[email-masked]>; megh <[email-masked]>; Mazin <[email-masked]>; lucy <[email-masked]>; kavi <[email-masked]>; Holden Richard <[email-masked]>; grand baree <[email-masked]>; Ed <[email-masked]>; Dookun <[email-masked]>; Dam <[email-masked]>; Dad, Mum <[email-masked]>; coco <[email-masked]>; chin <[email-masked]>; Burn <[email-masked]>; Breeze Agbele <[email-masked]>; Bhuwanee <[email-masked]>; bhishma <[email-masked]>; Bello <[email-masked]>; Basant <[email-masked]>; babloo <[email-masked]>; anusha <[email-masked]>; antish <[email-masked]>; ameet <[email-masked]>; Aditya <[email-masked]>; abishek arun <[email-masked]>
    Date: Friday, September 21, 2001 1:01 PM
    Subject: Fw: another new virus!

    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: M S Srinivas 
    To: [email-masked] 
    Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 2:27 PM
    Subject: another new virus!

    WORST EVER VIRUS (CNN announced)
    
    > A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
    Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday
    > afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus
    > simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information
    > for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following manner:
    > a.. It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with
    > the title "A Virtual Card for You."
    > b.. As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer
    > freezes so that the user has to reboot.
    > c.. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed,the
    > virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk.
    > Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York,
    > according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an
    employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual
    card for You."
    > As soon as you get the mail, delete it. Please pass this mail to all of
    > your friends. Forward this to everyone in your address book. 
     
    Also: Intel announced that a new and very destructive virus was
    > discovered recently. If you receive an email called "An Internet Flower
    > For You," do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all
    > dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.
    > Your computer will not be able to boot up !!
    >
    > PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:18:25 -0400

Just in case there is anyone unaward of it, this is a old hoax message
that has been cycling around for years.  There are several very easy
ways to tell that:

(1) The easiest way is to look at the internal evidence.

(1a) Not enough information is given to confirm anyhthing. Lots of big
organizations are mentioned, to add credibility, like Microsoft,
Intel, etc., but not actual names of people or actual phone numers or
even actual URLs are given.  There isn't even any specific date given.
Undated messages usually cycle around for years.  In other words, if
you wanted to verify this with any of the claimed sources, not enough
information is given to enable you to do so.

(1b) The message says to send it to everyone.  This is itself is an
almost conclusive clue this message is worthless. There is NO message
which everyone should send to everyone. Such behavior just clogs the
net and mail queues.  NEVER SEND OR FORWARD ANY MESSAGE THAT SAYS IT
SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO EVERYONE except perhaps to send it to your
system administrator or spam fighter. It makes no difference how much
you trust the person from whom you got the message. If they send you a
message that says to forward it to everyone, they have committed an
error in judgement.

(2) Go look at www.symantec.com or www.antivirus.com/vinfo or any
of the anti-virus sites you can easily find via yahoo or whatever
you like to use. No mention at all of anything like this.

(3) Go to any of the urban legand sites. They confirm this as an
old hoax.

If you feel inclined to send an apology, please don't clog things up
further by doing so.

Donald

From:  "Vidianand Baree" <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>
To:  <[email-masked]>
Date:  Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:26:21 +0400

>    To: wyatt andy <[email-masked]>; Vina Nursiah ><[email-masked]>; vik <[email-masked]>; vijma ><[email-masked]>; Vanesha <[email-masked]>; ti baree ><[email-masked]>; Su Baree Sunnyasi <[email-masked]>; >Sorensen frode <[email-masked]>; Sooren ><[email-masked]>; shalinee baree <[email-masked]>; >scott <[email-masked]>; rya <[email-masked]>; Rishi >Baungally <[email-masked]>; prit <[email-masked]>; >oliver <[email-masked]>; navin <[email-masked]>; >Munohur Bikasna <[email-masked]>; Mungroo Manessa ><[email-masked]>; megh <[email-masked]>; Mazin ><[email-masked]>; lucy <[email-masked]>; kavi ><[email-masked]>; Holden Richard <[email-masked]>; grand >baree <[email-masked]>; Ed <[email-masked]>; >Dookun <[email-masked]>; Dam <[email-masked]>; Dad, Mum ><[email-masked]>; coco <[email-masked]>; chin ><[email-masked]>; Burn <[email-masked]>; Breeze Agbele ><[email-masked]>; Bhuwanee <[email-masked]>; bhishma ><[email-masked]>; Bello <[email-masked]>; Basant ><[email-masked]>; babloo <[email-masked]>; anusha ><[email-masked]>; antish <[email-masked]>; ameet ><[email-masked]>; Aditya <[email-masked]>; abishek arun ><[email-masked]>
>    Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered >yesterday
>    > afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This >virus
>    > simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital >information
>    > for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following >manner:
>    > a.. It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list >with
>    > virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard >disk.
>    employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: >"A Virtual
>    card for You."
>    > As soon as you get the mail, delete it. Please pass this mail to >all of
>    > discovered recently. If you receive an email called "An Internet >Flower
>    > For You," do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes >all

---

From: "TRAICOVN (NW)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:01:55 -0400 (EDT)

Please do not continue passing this email on. This message is a hoax,
there is no virus. See link below.

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98893&

____________________________________________________________________________
 * TRAICOVN  ----------------------------------- http://www.traicovn.com *
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: S Puangpronpitag <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:58:33 +0100 (BST)

There is such a simple to invalidate this kinda of hoax b4 spreading such
nonsense+annoying e-mail -- SEARCH.  Why not just use search engine to
find evidence or disprove of it before spreading any rumors? 

If the sender will just try to search 'Virtual card for you' on this case,
many trustable websites would tell "it's a hoax"!

Nuk

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, TRAICOVN (NW) wrote:

> >     To: wyatt andy <[email-masked]>; Vina Nursiah <[email-masked]>; vik <[email-masked]>; vijma <[email-masked]>; Vanesha <[email-masked]>; ti baree <[email-masked]>; Su Baree Sunnyasi <[email-masked]>; Sorensen frode <[email-masked]>; Sooren <[email-masked]>; shalinee baree <[email-masked]>; scott <[email-masked]>; rya <[email-masked]>; Rishi Baungally <[email-masked]>; prit <[email-masked]>; oliver <[email-masked]>; navin <[email-masked]>; Munohur Bikasna <[email-masked]>; Mungroo Manessa <[email-masked]>; megh <[email-masked]>; Mazin <[email-masked]>; lucy <[email-masked]>; kavi <[email-masked]>; Holden Richard <[email-masked]>; grand baree <[email-masked]>; Ed <[email-masked]>; Dookun <[email-masked]>; Dam <[email-masked]>; Dad, Mum <[email-masked]>; coco <!
 v6!
>  [email-masked]>; chin <[email-masked]>; Burn <[email-masked]>; Breeze Agbele <[email-masked]>; Bhuwanee <[email-masked]>; bhishma <[email-masked]>; Bello <[email-masked]>; Basant <[email-masked]>; babloo <[email-masked]>; anusha <[email-masked]>; antish <[email-masked]>; ameet <[email-masked]>; Aditya <[email-masked]>; abishek arun <[email-masked]>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:57:03 -0700

>(1) The easiest way is to look at the internal evidence.

(1c)  The language and spelling are, at best, awkward; it often contain errors.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

---

From: "Thor Harald Johansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:51:28 +0200

>(1c)  The language and spelling are, at best, awkward; it often contain
errors.

The point is: Most companies will NOT send out mail warning about viruses.
They'll simply issue updates for their anti-virus software. But these sort
of mails are very easy to uncover indeed. They're full of spelling errors,
they sound overeager when using names of known companies. I almost wish
someone smart would write a fake virus warning mail. ;)

Maybe I should present myself. I'll probably be actively writing stuff here
for quite long, coming with suggestions and so on:

My name's Thor H. Johansen and I'm well into my 18th year of living. I never
bothered to get a driver's license, because computers and their accompanying
accessories are more important to me. Besides, someone's gotta use public
transport! I have been/am coding in the following development tools
(chronological order): BASICA, GWBASIC, QBASIC, Turbo BASIC, Turbo Pascal,
TMT Pascal, Free Pascal, Borland Delphi, DJGPP, LCC Win32, GCC Win32, CygWin
and Microsoft VC++. There are more that I can't remember right now. :)

I wish I was there developing protocols and hardware in those universities
in the (D)ARPAnet times. When I read the first RFCs I can recognize the
predecessors of rlogin, telnet, FTP and even a primitive form of platform
independent language for remote user interfaces. :) I like hardcore
programming and challenges. It would be really cool to help develope a new
standard that people would use and be happy with. =)

Thor

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:16:25 -0700

At 07:18 AM 9/21/2001, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
>that has been cycling around for years.

perhaps you haven't yet been hit by the nimda virus. You might take a look 
at McAffee's web page.

Some of the information in the note was not correct; the subject line is 
random, as are the attachments. It is also distributed via web server, and 
by accesses to trojans installed by Code Red.

---

From: "John Bellomy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:23:27 -0700

> by accesses to trojans installed by Code Red.

The note doesn't sound like nimba at all, does it?

-J