Subject: RE: ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:19:44 +1200

I'm no expert in this. I'm just asking experienced people to give me an
opinion and check it...

As for the disaster, well our networks may be overloaded due to the rush for
information, or something else... It happened to Fiji a few month back when
there was the coup... So I guess any major event would put a strain on the
network. Anyhow, the IETF has to analyse the situation in terms of does it
have any impact on the internet, if yes, what can IETF do?

It seems there is a problem (which I'm sure is unrelated) as Daniel Senie
states:
www.is.com.fj Above site trace shows packet loss of 15% to 30% between the
following two 
addresses in the path:
202.139.190.23 and 202.139.137.30

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Web site: http://www.sopac.org/
<http://www.sopac.org/> Support FMaps: http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/
<http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/> 

This e-mail is intended for its addresses only. Do not forward this e-mail
without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be necessarily
the views of SOPAC.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 12 September 2001 1:38 
To: Franck Martin
Subject: RE: ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

>Could you traceroute to or run traffic tools to check the following links
to
>these sites:
>www.is.com.fj
>www.nauru.nr

Both work fine for me coming from San Jose, CA.

So, why do you think this has anything to do with either the IETF or 
US disaster?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:30:46 -0500

I think Franck has a good idea. I work for Vanderbilt Medical Center in
Nashville, TN. We, like probably most hospitals on the east coast, were
sent some of the victums of this dreadful tragedy. Late yesterday afternoon
all employees were asked to only use the net when absolutely necessary
because employees, understandbly looking for the latest news, were
consuming bandwidth needed for emergency communications.

Bobby Addison
vint cerf <[email-masked]> on 09/11/2001 06:53:29 PM

To:  Franck Martin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
cc:  [email-masked]

Subject:  Re: ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

I have not had reports of any major outages other than equipment directly
affected by the destruction of the World Trade Center and the strike
against the Pentagon. A great deal of restoration of long haul circuits
has already been accomplished according to my information.

I have been on successful Instant Messaging sessions with people from
around the world, including some of the ICANN board members who are
stranded in various places (including me).

I would be interested to learn more about Internet problems seen by
users over the course of this horrific tragedy.

Many feelings course through my mind as I continue to communicate with
others on Internet and follow events on the television. Words fail to
fully express them but grief and anger mix with an intensity I've never
felt before.

Vint Cerf

At 10:55 PM 9/11/2001 +0000, Franck Martin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>First, all my sympathy to all the people who lost friends and relative in
the US.
>
>Now, I think the ietf/istf has a role to play in this tragedy. The
Internet seems to be to a near halt from where I stand, the Pacific
Islands. I think the Internet has never seen so much overload on its US
section...
>
>I remembered at an Inet meeting that some ietf people were working on
emergency packets over internet to carry message for emergency service
despite overloads... There are may be other similar work...
>
>I think the ietf should gather information, see the problems happening on
the network, and create a workgroup to propose solutions, so that such
things do not ripple on the Internet.
>
>In tokyo at Inet 2000 there were presentations showing how Japan/taiwan
built some emergency networks to inform people about survivors to
disasters/istf, and what has been destroyed etc... Check the proceedings on
the <http://www.isoc.org>www.isoc.org site.
>
>Finnally, I have no idea if there is a relation, but the Pacific Islands
have been experiencing for about a week now problems with many US sites (cf
archives of picisoc mailing list pignet
<http://www.spc.int/picisoc/>www.spc.int/picisoc/)
>
>I think the Internet community has a role to play here...
>
>Cheers.
>[email-masked]

---

From: "Duric, Willy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:54:24 +0200

congestion is US. Have a look on http://www.internettrafficreport.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: TOMSON ERIC [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: mercredi 12 septembre 2001 9:54
To: 'Anthony Atkielski'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

We've been blocked for some (long) minutes, here in Belgium, in the hours
that followed The Events.
Many companies, many users were unable to access the Web.
I know of a major direct backbone connection in a near ISP (tens of Mbps)
that didn't respond anymore.
What could have been the reason? Too much sudden traffic? Some strategic
nodes destroyed? Bad re-routing?

All my thoughts go to the victims and their families. I personally was in
Washington last month, my wife was there even more recently, and my best
friend was piloting an Airbus to Northern America last night and had to turn
on his heel back to Europe...

Now, let's try to keep cool and professional, and keep our subject
Internet-related.
Even though this is very hard and difficult for some of us, let's do our
part of the job.

God bless all of us.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Atkielski [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: mercredi 12 septembre 2001 2:05
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ietf/istf role in US Disaster?

> The Internet seems to be to a near halt from
> where I stand, the Pacific Islands. I think the
> Internet has never seen so much overload on its US
> section...

The reports I've seen indicate no significant overload overall, only an
overload
on many news sites.