Subject: RE: Last Call: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:19:26 -0700

> > > christian - i'd like to understand any technical concerns you
> might
> > > have on the "soap over beep" specification.
> >
> > Well, I am mostly concerned to see "SOAP over BEEP" defined before
> we
> > define the alternative "SOAP over TCP". I mean, if we are
> transporting
> > opaque blobs of data between two points, TCP looks like a no-
> brainer...
> 
> There are other "SOAP over foo" proposals in the wings too. I do agree
> that
> the general question needs looking at. Maybe it's OK to have lots of
> SOAP mappings, or maybe it isn't. Although mtr may disagree, imho this
> does
> need to be considered before deciding to publish a Proposed Standard.

In particular, SOAP is evolving, and there are generic SOAP extensions
being defined to deal with end to end security, end to end confirmations
and the like, where end-to-end is defined as "from the SOAP initiator to
the final SOAP actor". It may be argued that these functions duplicate
BEEP; in any case, the availability of such extensions within the XML
protocol itself implies that mapping over TCP is, in fact, trivial; we
need only a delimitation function, i.e. about the level of complexity of
RFC-1006. Defining SOAP-over-FOO before SOAP itself is finalized can
only be an experiment.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:46:37 -0700

> RFC-1006. Defining SOAP-over-FOO before SOAP itself is finalized can

christian - as eamon has pointed out, there is a lot of soap 1.1 out there,
and as others have pointed out there is an extensibility mechanism built
into the specification. finally, as any realist will point out, the success
of any group evolving soap is largely dependent on their ability to be
compatible. so, i just don't get your logic.

however, i have a real simple way to put you at ease: let's change the title
of the specification to "Using SOAP 1.1 in BEEP". surely, this would address
your problem...

/mtr