Subject: Re: SDL Demo and ITU CD Q&A

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:54:08 -0500

At 11:18 07/12/01, Ostap Monkewich wrote:

><<SDL Demo Announcement.doc>> 
>
>At IETF-52 in Salt Lake City, 

Sending email in fancy text, rather than plain-text,
and sending proprietary format binary attachments
(in this case MS-Word)...sigh.

Those are two clear indicators that the sender of the email 
doesn't understand the IETF culture or have respect
for those of us who live behind low-bandwidth links
and don't happen to use the Microsoft applications...

Email in text/plain format only would have gotten a lot
better reception in a lot of folks' mailboxes.

Ran

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:46:52 -0500

I agree that MS-Word is a poor choise of document format to send
via email - both because many recipients do not support it, and 
because for those that do, by sending them such documents, you're 
essentially asking them to introduce a security hole into their 
computer systems.

But I do think that IETF standards could benefit from more formal
description languages for protocols. So I thank ITU folks for their
efforts to show this to us. I'll be interested to see what SDL looks 
like.  

I just hope the specifications for SDL aren't also in MS-Word or 
some other dangerous format.

Keith