Subject: Re: Blue Sheet Etiquette

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:15:23 -0500

>Is there anything official that can be done to someone who is copying
>names off of a blue sheet?

There might be a procedural solution here.  Instead of passing around a 
blue sheet, give everybody a sheet of bar-coded cards at registration. The 
chair puts a box by the door to the meeting room; as each person walks in, 
they drop a card in the box.  The Secretariat then scans the cards after 
the meeting.  Harvesting data from the cards would be infeasible, because 
(a) digging through the box would be too blatant, and (b) the bar codes 
wouldn't encode text, they'd just encode a registration number.

(I'm assuming here that the Secretariat currently types up the names from 
blue sheets, and that scanning the cards would be easier.  If not, then 
forget it; this isn't worth giving them extra work.)

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer              |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.         |
|================================================================|
|"What now, Brain?" "We should flee in terror. Yes, that would be|
|the wisest course."                                             |
\================================================================/

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:06:29 -0700

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City had a pretty good system
for checking tickets: wireless bar code scanners. Can't be more
expensive than having somebody type in thousands of names, from barely
legible writing.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:32:50 -0500

>expensive than having somebody type in thousands of names, from barely

I should point out that many of the wireless bar code scanners work at 
2.4Gh and some of them do not play nicely in an 802.11b network.  Others do.