Subject: Re: TCP on Ethernet:[Re:] BGP on Ethernet

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:41:14 -0000

This does sound rather like the work of the IETF ForCES
working group; the intent there is to split one logical
router - to the outside world - into separate pieces.  The
focus is on the separation of layers 5/6/7 (BGP, OSPF etc
routing protocols, traffic shaping, NAT) from layer 3
(packet forwarding), the general purpose applications from
the specialised packet processing.  But it will allow
multiple BGP engines and multiple packet processing engines
to interconnect to form a logical whole.

But don't hold your breath; the RFC are a year away.

Tom Petch, Network Consultant
[email-masked]
+(44) 192 575 3018

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:22:45 -0500

>Can i do some sort of broadcasting/multicasting of TCP packets on an
>ethernet.

No, but there are various reliable-multicast protocols; look up the RMT 
working group.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer              |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.         |
|================================================================|
|The voices say I'm not schizophrenic, but they're not sure about|
|you.                                                            |
\================================================================/