Subject: New mailing list and ID on passive packet measurement

From: Albert Greenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:03:01 -0500

We would like to announce the availability of a new Internet Draft

draft-duffield-framework-papame-00.txt

(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duffield-framework-papame-00.txt)

and a mailing list

   listname : [email-masked] (packet sampling)
   subscribe: [email-masked]
   archive  : <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/psamp/>

The purpose of the ID and the list is to spur discussion on
formulating requirements for and define the functionality of a passive
packet sampling device in network elements.

The goals underlying the proposed packet sampling framework are:

- generality: it should serve as the basis for a wide range of
  operational tasks, and
- simplicity and efficiency: it relies on a small set of primitives that
  facilitate uniform deployment in router interfaces or dedicated
  measurement devices, even at very high speeds.

We invite discussion of the framework on the psamp mailing list.
We hope to hold a bof at the March 2002 IETF.

Thanks,

Randy Bush
Nick Duffield
Albert Greenberg
Matt Grossglauser
Jennifer Rexford
AT&T Labs - Research