Subject: TCP/IP Terms

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:01:56 -0400

I think the main goal is to compete with OSI's much more defined model. I
for one, don't want to see OSI overtake in any way TCP/IP, even in
definitions. But Bill S. is correct, all you have to do is mention the layer
and protocol. But there are so many new protocol's out there now, as I've
mentioned before PPP is an example written since rfc 1122-23. It is now its
own suite, with a family of link and network control protocols.

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:43:55 +0700

Date:        Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:01:56 -0400
    From:        "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <000701c26892$52428400$5844903f@a>

  | I think the main goal is to compete with OSI's much more defined model.

Why?

  | I for one, don't want to see OSI overtake in any way TCP/IP, even in
  | definitions.

I'd actually much prefer for OSI to win the "war of the definitions".
Rigid definitions tend to constrain thinking to fit into the patterns
defined.   We're much better off just having a rough idea what things
mean when it gets to this level.

kre

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:29:46 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> definitions.

Tanenbaum's 'Computer Networks' 2nd edition is imo an excellent
introduction to layering. It uses the OSI conceptual model.

Subsequent editions of that book suck, because they introduce a bunch
of fashionable IETF protocols but skimp on the principles that lie
behind the design of the protocols, giving the student a bunch of
buzzwords but no real intellectual framework to place them in.

> as I've mentioned before PPP is an example written since rfc
> 1122-23.

In particular, PPP (it's an HDLC replacement! A tunnelling protocol!
An authentication accessory! A floorwax! A desert topping!) is a bad
example of _anything_ as far as layering is concerned

I am, however, looking forward to reading this draft Bill is talking
about writing. Based on previous form, I'm expecting it to contain at
most two paragraphs of content, and lead to lots of pointless
followup discussion.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>

---

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:48:10 -0400

> mean when it gets to this level.

I don't want to see TCP/IP be overtaken either. It's the root of the
Internet, not OSI or anything else. Maybe TCP/IP needs to be more
competative.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:47:24 -0700

> Internet, not OSI

you have a problem with your email system.  ten year old mail is
being resent from you, but somehow it has current dates.

randy