Subject: APEX

From: "Bill Cunningham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:34:32 -0400

Can anyone clear this up for me?

The APEX core is above the TCP layer in the TCP/IP stack. datagrams from the
network layer such as an IP datagram is encapsulated in a packet and passed
to the above layer to be or not be mapped into a frame such as a PPP frame,
which goes on to the physical layer. The APEX layer is above TCP, yet the
APEX core data is referred to as datagrams, a term denoting the network
layer. Surely APEX core data has to be packeted, even if not framed. Maybe
APEX is packeted in PPP frames. Anyway, why is APEX referred to as
datagrams, when it's not at the network layer.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:21:12 -0700

At 12:34 AM 9/19/2002 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>layer. Surely APEX core data has to be packeted, even if not framed.

The term 'datagram' does not specify a particular level in the 
communications hierarchy.

It is a mode, not a layer

d/

----------
Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850