Subject: Le WAP est un Piege -- WAP is a Trap: now in French

From: Mohsen Banan-Public <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Sep 2002 12:43:51 -0700

The white paper:
  The WAP Trap: An Expose of the Wireless Application Protocol
has now been translated into French, under the title:
  Le WAP a la Trappe

Both English and French versions of the paper are available in HTML,
PDF and PS formats on the Free Protocols Foundation website at
http://www.freeProtocols.org/wapTrap/index.html.

When first published in May 2000, The WAP Trap was the
most comprehensive condemnation of WAP written to
date. In it we demonstrated that WAP is crippled by
patents, the result of a closed design process,
inappropriately controlled by the WAP Forum, and riddled
with technical design errors. We exposed WAP for what it
is: a fraudulent marketing construct. Our conclusion was
that WAP must be rejected and replaced with a set of
truly open, patent-free, technically sound, mainstream
Internet protocols.

Our widespread distribution of The WAP Trap has had the desired
effect, and there is now a growing awareness within the business and
media communities of the fundamental fraudulence of WAP.

Though thoroughly discredited, WAP continues to peddle itself under
different labels. But merely relabelling something to include the word
"open" does not make it so. We must persist in our efforts to oppose
WAP and its derivatives, regardless of whatever they may choose to call
themselves.

The translation of The WAP Trap into French represents a continuation
of our campaign to expose the fraudulence of WAP. We will continue to
counter the hype by distributing The WAP Trap in both English and
French.

Please assist us in this process by distributing this announcement as
widely as possible, wherever appropriate, particularly in the
French-speaking engineering and business communities.

Mohsen Banan,
for the Free Protocols Foundation
http://www.freeProtocols.org