Subject: Microsoft uses 'darknet' to refer to PTP overlays: what do we call misuse of unallocated address space?

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:50:33 +1000

Microsoft is now using the name 'darknet' to refer to the overlay networks of
point to point filesharing in their Digital Rights Management (DRM) position
papers in conferences.

So, in the public eye, this neologism has probably now been taken to mean this
activity,

Rather than descend into hacker/cracker discussions, what is a good label to
use when referring to people who usurp unallocated IPv4 address space, and
arrange for it to be BGP visible in the classic DFZ network? I had thought
that *this* was being called the dark net, but I'm not confident that tag will
survive the behemoth...

-George

---

From: "Anita Kremer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:54:55 +0100

Is there a reason why I become all the messages several times? Let's say
about 15 times?

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Namens George
Michaelson
Verzonden: donderdag 21 november 2002 20:51
Aan: [email-masked]
Onderwerp: Microsoft uses 'darknet' to refer to PTP overlays: what do we
call misuse of unallocated address space?

Microsoft is now using the name 'darknet' to refer to the overlay
networks of point to point filesharing in their Digital Rights
Management (DRM) position papers in conferences.

So, in the public eye, this neologism has probably now been taken to
mean this activity,

Rather than descend into hacker/cracker discussions, what is a good
label to use when referring to people who usurp unallocated IPv4 address
space, and arrange for it to be BGP visible in the classic DFZ network?
I had thought that *this* was being called the dark net, but I'm not
confident that tag will survive the behemoth...

-George

---

From: "Anita Kremer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:25:27 +0100

Hi admins, I received this message for the 64th time. Will you take
action upon this problem? My mailbox is giving me more and more
troubles.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----

-George

---

From: Marco Davids <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:36:22 +0100 (MET)

Listmaintainer, please do something :-(

--
Marco Davids
SARA / High Performance Networking - Amsterdam

"And the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home."
 -- Christopher Columbus.