Subject: Spring 2003 IETF - Why San Francisco?

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:34:57 -0800

http://www.ietf.org/meetings/0mtg-sites.txt

San Francisco is very convenient for many people (including me) - but 
perhaps it's just *too* convenient.  Every other IETF meeting held in the 
Bay Area in recent years has been a zoo.

I thought there was consensus to try not to hold IETF meetings in the Bay Area?

	Ross.

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:25:54 -0500

On Sunday, Nov 17, 2002, at 00:34 America/Montreal, Ross Finlayson 
> I thought there was consensus to try not to hold IETF meetings in the 

Agree, because they are over-run with local tourists and it was
impossible to get work done.

However, IETF Chair has the authority to approve/select meeting venues.

Ran

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:57:43 -0500

History of this particular meeting, as I was told by the secretariat:

- We tried to hold it in Minneapolis as per tradition :-)
- The dates available for Minneapolis conflicted with another conference
- The search for sites came up with two alternatives: Boston and San 
Francisco.
- The facilities in San Francisco were quite a bit better than those in 
Boston
- The secretariat proposed San Francisco, and I approved that.

If we get twice as many people as in Atlanta, crowding may be a problem. 
But twice as many people is a LARGE increase.

                      Harald

--On 16. november 2002 21:34 -0800 Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> -
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed.
> Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.
>
>

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:06:32 -0500

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> If we get twice as many people as in Atlanta, crowding may be a 
> problem. But twice as many people is a LARGE increase.

Besides which, the last IETF meeting in the Bay Area was in 1996; the 
local population of companies that will pay to send people has probably 
dropped off a bit since then.

-- 
/============================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                   |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centivinc.com                 |
|Centiv            |My opinions are my own.                  |
|============================================================|
|"God does not play games with His loyal servants." "Whoo-ee,|
|where have you *been*?" --_Good Omens_                      |
\============================================================/

---

From: Peter Deutsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:25:39 -0800

> dropped off a bit since then.

Yahbut, the number of people who will come looking for pointers to
work is going to be *way* up. There may not be more people in the
meetings, but there may be lots more people in the corridors...
:-/

					- peterd

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peter Deutsch                       [email-masked]
    Gydig Software

      "Time will end all of my troubles, but I don't
            always approve of time's methods..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------