Subject: Re: Last Call: NOPEER community for BGP route scope control to BCP

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 22:19:08 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Prefix Taxonomy Ongoing
> Measurement & Inter Network Experiment Working Group to consider NOPEER
> community for BGP route scope control
> <draft-ietf-ptomaine-nopeer-00.txt> as a BCP.

> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2002-11-17.

As someone who does BGP configurations for a reasonable number of
different ASes, I can't say this is the most useful new well-known
community I could have imagined: as a rule, operators are more careful
about what they advertise to transit networks than what they advertise
to peers. But never mind that.

What I'm missing in this draft is how vendors should implement this
community. All the other well-known communities trigger actions in BGP
without further user configuration. From the text I gather that this is
not to be the case with this new community. However, this is never
explicitly stated.