Subject: RE: ietf 55 network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:05:28 -0000

> folks have to tell the noc 
> about observed
> problems, rather than just complaining to your couch 
> neighbor.  

... and the noc has to help instead of telling people to go away. I
requested a static IP, was asked why I needed one, 'because DHCP is broken',
and was told that this was 'my problem'. Of course the reality is that DHCP
is always broken in some way, at some point, during IETF meetings, which is
why I always visit the NOC to request a static IP. This is the first time
I've been told 'no'.

I can't help thinking that the spastic wireless network experienced at
IETF55 could have been avoided if lessons learned at previous IETF meetings
had not been repeated. Maybe these lessons need to be captured somewhere.

I do appreciate the efforts of all the engineers who have been working hard
this week to give us the network that we now have, but on this occasion they
have left this user way less than satisfied.

Mat.

---

From: john heasley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:47:28 +0000

> why I always visit the NOC to request a static IP. This is the first time

no idea who you spoke with, but we in fact had set aside a piece of
space for statics.  in fact, only one was assigned.

> had not been repeated. Maybe these lessons need to be captured somewhere.

an effort was already begun to archive configuration of s/w, etc.  complaints
appearing in the ticket system is a big step in documenting problems.

> have left this user way less than satisfied.

please email your complaints to [email-masked] and not [email-masked].

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:07:21 -0500

> had not been repeated. Maybe these lessons need to be captured 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-termroom-op-07.txt

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:30:39 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-termroom-op-07.txt

... which contains surprisingly little information about radio network 
planning.
This has been wrong on most IETF Monday mornings, and tends to get 
fixed slowly during the week.
How are the lessons learned relayed to the next team?
It would help to collect frequency/transmit power plans, site survey 
techniques, fixed network designs etc. for the next IETF.
As long as wireless networks for large crowds remain difficult, a quick 
summary report from the NOC team every day would also instill some 
confidence...

Also, there should be a web page where participants can learn how to 
configure their boxes, e.g. switch off ad-hoc network creation on Macs 
etc.

(And yes, I know I should be contributing more instead of just asking 
for contributions.
But then, my experience is with physically larger networks with more 
distributed crowds.
The people with the IETF NOC experience need to write it up.)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:17:48 -0800 (PST)

> fixed slowly during the week.

even if you've done it before it's still very hard to just guess where 
people will sit and which ap's will overload as a result...

> How are the lessons learned relayed to the next team?

typically there are meeting involving the current team and the future 
teams during the ietf meeting. in the case of this meeting members from 
the two immediatly preceeding meeting were also part of the noc staff.

> configure their boxes, e.g. switch off ad-hoc network creation on Macs 

see:

http://srv0.ietf55.ops.ietf.org/ietf55/NetworkTerminal#WirelessSupport

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email-masked]    
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
	   	            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"