Subject: the main differences between SSL and TLS?

From: "高方" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:2:18 +0800

Anyone knows the main differences between SSL and TLS?
	Thanks.

    Richard Gao
　　[email-masked]

---

From: "Vivek Gupta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:29:00 -0500

to the best of my knowledge ....
just the version numbers ....

---

From: Richard Welty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:48:02 -0500 (EST)

> > Anyone knows the main differences between SSL and TLS?

um, no.

from Rescorla, _SSL and TLS: Designing and Building Secure Systems_,
page 50:

"a number of minor changes were made to the document, ..., with the effect
that key expansion and the message authentication computations are totally
incompatible with SSLv3, destroying most backward compatibility."

the book is quite good. i suggest that it is a better investment than
pestering the IETF mailing list with SSL and TLS questions.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         [email-masked]
Averill Park Networking                                         518-573-7592
              Unix, Linux, IP Network Engineering, Security