Subject: text conferencing at the 55th IETF meeting in Atlanta

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:11:26 -0500

Remote Access for the 55th IETF meeting in Atlanta:
			     Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the
meeting. For the 55th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms are hosted on

    conference.ietf.jabber.com

and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent:
    
    http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/foobar/

Enjoy!
    
/mtr

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:52:57 -0500

>Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
Very nice.  Can these logs be included in the minutes, or alongside them?

-- 
/===============================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                      |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centivinc.com                    |
|Centiv            |My opinions are my own.                     |
|===============================================================|
|If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well *dance*!|
\===============================================================/

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:28:59 -0500

> Very nice.  Can these logs be included in the minutes, or alongside them?

that's up to the minute taker. remember that there isn't a moderator in the
chatrooms, so it's not really a "record", per se.

/mtr

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:38:34 -0500

>chatrooms, so it's not really a "record", per se.
True; but it could still be a useful log, provided there's a scribe 
reporting what's going on in the room.

It would be possible for the logs to be gathered up and included with 
the minutes, as a supplement; that wouldn't take extra effort from the 
minute takers.  But maybe we should wait and see whether the logs are 
actually useful.

(Personally, if I were going to the meeting, I'd volunteer to be both 
minute taker and scribe; then I'd take what I'd scribed to the chat room 
and turn it into minutes.  No point having to find two volunteers.)