Subject: RFC authoring tools

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 16:10:43 +0100

Are there any tools which can produce documents in standard RFC format
from high-level markup?

These feature are required:

 - source format is human-readable ASCII (with embedded markup)
 - high-level, non-visual markup
 - libre conversion software to RFC format
 - automatic generation of cross references, bibliographical
   information, and table of contents

Wishlist items are:

 - conversion to nice-looking PDF 
 - conversion to HTML
 - conditional inclusion of pieces, depending on the output format
   (ASCII art for text version, bitmap for HTML etc.)

Whether the tool is based on SGML, XML, (La)TeX or *roff doesn't
really matter to me.

---

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jan 2003 20:05:19 +0100

Hi!

Florian> Are there any tools which can produce documents in standard
Florian> RFC format from high-level markup? [...]

See RFC 2629 (Writing I-Ds and RFCs using XML) by Marshall T. Rose.

This document describes a DTD and its application for authoring
RFC-like documents. It also contains references to his open source
tool "xml2rfc" that allows to compile such XML documents to IETF
conformant text files and to HTML pages. 

I used it for some documents and I really like it a lot.

 -frank

---

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:16:46 +0100

> I used it for some documents and I really like it a lot.

Yes, indeed.  I think I had a look at two years ago, but ditched it
for some reason (maybe I didn't discover the switch for TOC
generation).

I've made a Debian package of it, and hope that it finds its way into
the archive some day.

---

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Jan 2003 14:15:54 +0100

Hi!

>> I used it for some documents and I really like it a lot.

Florian> Yes, indeed.  I think I had a look at two years ago, but
Florian> ditched it for some reason (maybe I didn't discover the
Florian> switch for TOC generation).

Florian> I've made a Debian package of it, and hope that it finds its
Florian> way into the archive some day.

Cool. Wo finde ich denn derweil das Debian Package? :-)

 -frank

---

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:25:29 +0100

> Cool. Wo finde ich denn derweil das Debian Package? :-)

Oh, it's available at <http://www.enyo.de/fw/debian/xml2rfc/>, but
it's still pending review.

---

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Jan 2003 14:45:45 +0100

Hi!

>> Cool. Wo finde ich denn derweil das Debian Package? :-)

Florian> Oh, it's available at <http://www.enyo.de/fw/debian/xml2rfc/>, but
Florian> it's still pending review.

Thanks.

 -frank