Subject: Re: Searching for depressing moments of Internet history.....

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:37:41 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Eliot Lear writes:
>If you are looking for the first site that spoke HTTP, then I don't 
>know.  On the other hand, as we know there has been a history of 
>development surrounding Internet porn.  First of all, there were the 
>various newsgroups, and the various (dis)assembly programs.  One of 
>these was AUB and it dates back to around 1992.  Another of which was 
>FSP, the UDP-based file sharing protocol written to get around TCP port 
>filters.  That would be in the 1993 time frame.  While to the best of my 
>knowledge IRC had no attachment to sex for its development, it in 
>combination with various hacker sites played a role in sites being 
>hacked and becoming warez and porn sites.
>

Google's archive has the first alt.sex posting as April 8, 1988.

It's very rare that I have a work-related justification for searching 
alt.sex...

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)