Subject: Re: "Written patent policy with clear guidance"

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:31:15 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, Dave Crocker writes:
>Folks,
>
>Norm Beamer is a partner at Fish & Neave, which specializes in
>intellectual property law.  They did the patent for the Wright Brothers.
>
>I am forwarding his note at his request. This is not intended to state a
>concern that the IETF's current efforts regarding intellectual property
>are inadequate -- my non-expert guess is that we currently have pretty
>good policies and communicate them well.
>
>However it seems worthwhile to take note of a case and a warning that an
>expert thinks is relevant to us.

Thanks.  This case has already been mentioned on the IPR wg's mailing 
list.  I do feel that our requirements are explicit now; we're making 
sure that they're clear enough in IPR.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:02:25 -0800

Steven,

SMB> Thanks.  This case has already been mentioned on the IPR wg's mailing
SMB> list.

excellent. thanks.

alas, so many wgs, so little time...

d/
-- 
 Dave <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 t +1.408.246.8253; f +1.408.850.1850