Subject: Re: Posting statistics for the IETF list

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 10:20:29 -0000

Alvestrand writes:
> I don't think we should attach more credibility to an argument
> (either pro or contra) because it is repeated many times.

If you were paying attention instead of mindlessly counting From lines,
you'd see that the discussion has covered many different issues, and
that various errors have been much more clearly exposed than they were
at the beginning. For example, the BIND company has admitted that the
``zone coherency'' rule is violated by BIND 9.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:26:19 -0500

>  For example, the BIND company has admitted that the

Dan, 1034 itself says that absolute consistency is a non-goal.  From 2.3:

     Access to information is more critical than instantaneous
     updates or guarantees of consistency.  Hence the update
     process allows updates to percolate out through the users of
     the domain system rather than guaranteeing that all copies are
     simultaneously updated.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
		http://www.wilyhacker.com (2nd edition of "Firewalls" book)