Subject: Information on Directorates and Finances

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:41:34 -0800

I have put two web pages up at the following URL:

http://www.ietf.org/u/chair/

One details the directorates that currently exist in the IETF, with 
memberships of most of them.

The other one is the IETF finances for 2001.

The presentation format is subject to modification - if you find things 
unclear or hard to understand, drop me a line!

                        Harald

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:33:36 -0800 (PST)

Harald,

I'd never seen any finances for the ietf, but are these from 2002 or did
it just take that long to pull 2001 expenses together?

-rick

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:24:05 -0800

> it just take that long to pull 2001 expenses together?

these are from 2001. It's been on my TODO list to get them on a web page 
forever, but I didn't get around to it before now.
I did a presentation on the same type of numbers in London (for 2000), but 
only in summary form, and it doesn't seem that I remembered to do one in 
Yokohama.
Now that I've done it once, I think the 2002 figures will be much faster....

                    Harald

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:07:20 -0800

Well done, Harald!  I applaud this move towards 'transparency.'  

One question.  In the sentence on the finance page where you wrote: 

  "In the US, this is one way in which hotels recover the cost of
  meeting rooms; in one recent query, the secretariat got a quote on
  meeting rooms without food for USD 238.000 (at 50% off list
  price). At a similar meeting where we got the meeting rooms for
  free, our food and beverages bill was approximately USD 250.000."

I'm a little confused as to whether the decimal has been substituted
for a comma or whether it's just in the wrong place or both.

--aaron

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> This message was passed through [email-masked], which 
> is a sublist of [email-masked]. Not all messages are passed. Decisions on 
> what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:12:51 -0800

> for a comma or whether it's just in the wrong place or both.

It's just my Norwegian decimals.... both numbers are in the ballpark of a 
quarter million dollars.
(Norwegian, and many European languages, use comma to separate units and 
fractions, and the dot to separate thousands. Sometimes quite confusing....)

                   Harald

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:23:39 -0800

Folks,

From the financials:
HTA> The terminal room cost is $0 in 2001 because all 3 IETF meetings
HTA> were hosted. In 2003, we expect to have at least one, and possibly
HTA> two, non-host meetings, which means that terminal room costs will
HTA> come out of the secretariat's budget.

Perhaps it is again time to suggest forming a standing "terminal access"
committee, to help ensure timely, reliable, performant net access, etc.?

Although we seem to have been spared visible disasters in the last few
years, delivery of these services has periodically still been a very
close call, requiring emergency and herculean intervention of some
senior talent.

The technical and operations requirements for these events are actually
a bit unusual, especially since the physical aspects of the venue affect
wireless so much.  Therefore each new team has had a learning curve for
the process.

So why not recruit the talent ahead of time, use it for planning and
setup, working at a more deliberate pace, deliverying on experience with
our needs, and avoiding the crises and risk?

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:[email-masked]>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <http://www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>, <fax:+1.866.358.5301>