Subject: Comments about 'Finding Remote DA's and SA's in SLP via DNS SRV

From: "Nitin Khurana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:38:38 -0700

Hi,
    The proposed mechanism for finding remote DA's using DNS SRV is an
excellent mechanism for overcoming the network traffic generated during
the multicast SA/DA discovery and to make the SLP protocol scale to the
internet. However the following things may be considered:
1. The administrator overhead of putting SRV records in the DNS
database needs to be considered. To reduce the administrator overhead
another feature which can be included is the dynamic updates (RFC 2136),
whenever the DA comes up it sends an update packet to the DNS Server
which adds the SRV record. 
2. Also if the DA/SA/GDA goes down the corresponding SRV record in the
dns repository has to be deleted. It is near impossible for an
administrator to monitor this and add/delete the corresponding SRV
records from DNS everytime the DA/SA comes up or goes down, so the
dynamic updates done by the DA/SA would solve this problem.

Regards,
Nitin Khurana.