Subject: Re: movies vs chat logs

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:32:52 GMT

*> working group can often take better minutes than an outsider.  On the
  *> other hand, it is very hard to take good minutes and/or scribe while
  *> participating in the discussion, and often the minutes will suffer for
  *> those portions of the meeting where the minute-taker also wants to
  *> join into the discussion.  (Or stand in line at the mike, etc.)

In any of the WG meetings I have attended in the last 10 years, it would
not have been hard to find a person in the room who was not participating
in the discussion.  In fact, 95-99% of the people in the room were
non-participants and were therefore potential note takers.

Bob Braden

  *>

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:56:12 +0000 (GMT)

> non-participants and were therefore potential note takers.

You fail to grasp the fundamentally non-participatory role of the
non-participant.

L.

this the same 95-99% staring blankly at their laptops?

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:20:09 -0500

> You fail to grasp the fundamentally non-participatory role of the

And the non-participants are there why, exactly? (Note that I'm basically
clueless on this one - there's been a few IETFs that have actually been
plausible for me to attend, but I passed because there weren't any drafts/etc
up for discussion that I felt needed debating...)

I wonder if the number of "tourists" would go down if it became tradition
that if you were sitting there and not actively participating, you could
summarily be drafted to take notes.

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Feb 2003 10:22:25 +1200

I was wondering if a speech to text software like dragonspeaking could
be the scribe and output to jabber?

Also audio streaming is quite good (low bandwidth) and you can listen to
it like the radio...

Cheers

---

From: Ari Ollikainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:18:34 -0800

At 10:22 AM +1200 2/15/03, Franck Martin wrote:
>I was wondering if a speech to text software like dragonspeaking could be the scribe and output to jabber?

	Dream on...

           +----------------------------------------------+
           | You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.|
           | If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. |
           | If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.    |
           +----------------------------------------------+

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:20:59 -0500

--On Friday, 14 February, 2003 15:20 -0500 
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wonder if the number of "tourists" would go down if it
> became tradition that if you were sitting there and not
> actively participating, you could summarily be drafted to take
> notes.

Been tried.  On average, it produces really poor notes, or notes 
that don't get submitted.

If one wants decent notes, one really needs a willing volunteer 
or at least someone who feels committed to the job.  Some 
tourists might feel obligated enough if tapped, but experience 
in the IETF and other organizations suggests that one should not 
bet on it.

   john