Subject: Re: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

From: Andrew Rutherford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:05:17 +1030

At 10:21 PM -0500 30/1/03, [email-masked] wrote:

>Life sucks if the mail server 421's you when you don't have local storage.....

Agreed. :-) Hopefully the gateway in question has:

(1) Got the SMTP conversation up to DATA / 354 before giving off the
"beep" that everyone expects before leaving a message - preferably even
before playing the initial greeting, so 421's from load, etc, can be
caught as early as possible.

(2) Some form of "System error" message it can then play at the person
trying to leave the message.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:18:26 -0800

At 6:56 PM +0700 1/31/03, Robert Elz wrote:

>  If all you really want is to formalise a (rational) method to implement
>  biff, then that's fine, but "message status information" might be much
>  more than that.   As written it suggests more like a way for servers to
>  let other servers know when messages have been delivered, read, ... (etc).

This is exactly what one proposal (SNAP) does: it allows one server 
to communicate status change events to another.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Quick!!  Act as if nothing has happened!