Subject: Re: Critique vs Criticism - Plenary comments

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:18:24 -0400

The problem with exploration is that it misses the advantage of having
us all in the same place - this meeting is about getting hallway
conversations going and cross-fertilization. If we all agreed to go to
Schwedenplatz, fine... it would work. 
(And they didn't serve much other than scottish food)

If you want to explore the city - great. I like that too - and a reason
why I show up early and don't leave first thing Friday morning. But it
isn't a goal of the IETF to make us familliar with foreign cities :-)

]      Out and about in Ottawa.    hmmm... beer.                |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian/notebook using, kernel hacking, security guy");  [

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:23:50 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> writes:
    Eric> I think what's going on here is that there is a disconect between
    Eric> two groups of people: people who think of the IETF as a combination
    Eric> work/vacation opportunity and people who think of the IETF as
    Eric> purely for work. If you're part of the former group, the general
    Eric> attractiveness of the venue makes a difference. If the second,
    Eric> all that matters is that things be convenience.

    Eric> Myself, I'm part of the second group. I flew in on Sunday and out
    Eric> on Friday and was in meetings almost the whole time, so whether
    Eric> Vienna is beautiful or not is basically irrelevant to me.

  That's pretty much it.

  I found the conference centre pretty good, generally. I would return. It
always seems a shame to go a nice city for IETF and not see much of it, but
I've realized that this is fine - I'm not usually in a mood for vacation 
at an IETF anyway. This is why many of us find Minneapolis just fine - hotel
seems to get it now, we know where all the food is, and the terminal room
cables are pre-cut.