Subject: Re: accusations of cluelessness

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:23:59 -0400 (EDT)

> If you have $2500 to ante up for the allocation.

you might take a look at the RIR web pages - it does not cost
an ISP $2500 to get additional address space allocated  - the
additional fee for additional space for large ISPs is generally zero.

end site allocations are a different story but there are a few routing
table issues with doing many of those

Scott

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:41:03 -0400 (EDT)

> additional fee for additional space for large ISPs is generally zero.

ahhh.  additional address space.  i was referring to initial address
space.  from IANA anyway.

> table issues with doing many of those

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:48:05 +0200

> additional fee for additional space for large ISPs is generally zero.

Yes, really fair. Let the newcomers pay for a resource but not the 
people using up most of it.

> table issues with doing many of those

The problem is that the RIRs require the use of at least a /22 (I think 
even a full /20 for ARIN) before they allocate a PA block. This makes 
it hard for newcomers to get their own block. In theory this policy 
helps keep down the size of the routing table. But in practice it 
doesn't, because:

1. many people take a smaller block from their ISP and announce that
2. large networks keep getting /20s and /19s that they announce 
individually

Where is the routing table police when you need them?