Subject: Re: accusations of cluelessness

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:38:07 -0400 (EDT)

> the reason I don't try to repudiate BCP 5 is that it's clear that for IPv4
> we're out of addresses,

total BS

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:36:49 -0400

> > the reason I don't try to repudiate BCP 5 is that it's clear that for IPv4

okay, let me state it in more detail:  to the best of my understanding, even
if people were willing to stop using RFC 1918 address space, there aren't
enough global address blocks to accomodate all of the networks now using
private addresses.

---

From: Mark Seery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

Scott's data point gives a better view of what is reserved/not allocated, but
another data point is that only 30%-32% of the IPv4 address space is currently
being advertised (according to RIB dumps at routeviews.org).

-mark