Subject: IETF Storage Solution

From: NM Research <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:40:46 -0700 (PDT)

Have the old hard disks read with use of laser and copied into new larger capacity hard disks.  Laser will read everything on the magnetic surface of the old hard disks including passwords, apps, OS, data and configurations.
 
CAUTION:  New hard disks must have the same hardware characteristics as the old ones to prevent OS malfunction ( special tailor-made hard disks ?? ).
 
How do you think governments read stolen laptops?? With laser ofcourse!
 
Long-term solution : Nano-technology - no good systems yet.
 
Nyagudi Musandu

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:25:11 -0400

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:40:46 PDT, NM Research <[email-masked]>  said:

> Have the old hard disks read with use of laser and copied into new larger capacity hard disks.

> CAUTION:  New hard disks must have the same hardware characteristics as the old ones to prevent OS malfunction ( special tailor-made hard disks ?? ).

This is totally nonsensical.  You can't have the "same hardware characteristics"
and "larger capacity" at the same time.

> How do you think governments read stolen laptops?? With laser ofcourse!

Actually, if you've stolen a laptop, it's usually easier to just take the disk and
plug it into another machine and read it with the normal mechanisms.

And if you're doing data recovery because you were silly enough to steal a laptop
that had a physically broken disk drive, the usual hardware is magnetic-based
rather than laser-based.

This is even less IETF-relevant than your previous postings.  Please read
the following two documents before posting to this list again:

http://www.ietf.org/tao.html (Also known as RFC3060)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mrose-ietf-posting-03.txt

---

From: NM Research <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 03:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

Ha Gotcha! Your knowledge of computers is wanting.  Magnetic harddisks can be scanned with laser for surface patterns arrangements,  I think your attacks on me are least professional.
 
Nyagudi Musandu

[email-masked] wrote:

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature

---

From: NM Research <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 03:47:16 -0700 (PDT)

Nyagudi Musandu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:25:26 -0400

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:47:16 PDT, you said:

> Ha Gotcha! Your knowledge of computers is wanting.  Magnetic harddisks can be
> scanned with laser for surface patterns arrangements,  I think your attacks on
> me are least professional.

OK. Perhaps they *can* be scanned with lasers.  However, as far as I can tell,
most companies actually recovering data from magnetic media are using some
variant on a magnetic sensor, not a laser.

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/div816/2001/MagneticRecordingMeasurements/

See the section "New Technique for Recovering Data":

"Termed "second-harmonic magnetoresistive microscopy" (SH-MRM), this technique
makes use of high-resolution magnetic sensors developed for modern computer
hard-disk drives."

So as of 2 years ago, the research in the field was still using magnetic based
techniques, and of course the companies doing it for a living will be lagging
somewhat behind that.

Perhaps your confusion is based on a misunderstanding of the process:

http://www.usbyte.com/common/AFM_storage.htm

Yes, a small laser is used - to measure the deflection of a sensor by a magnetic field.

And I'm sorry that you find it unprofessional to be asked what your postings
have of interest *TO THE IETF*.  The 'I' stands for 'Internet'. Not nuclear
weapon, not nanotech, not disk storage, but *INTERNET*.  Unless you can show
how nuclear weapons, nanotech, disk storage, or whatever your next missive is
about is related *TO THE INTERNET*, it's off-topic for *THIS* list.

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:41:07 -0500

I've noticed that the diet commonly preferred by trolls includes made-up
jargon, insults, and paradoxes.  Responding with reason or legitimate
information leaves them craving more.

-Dave

-- 
David Frascone

                  Plan to be more spontaneous.