Subject: Re: Fw: Review of proposal: Education team

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 17:07:01 -0800

> The IESG is considering creation of a formalized "education team" to manage
> the IETF education efforts, which have so far been managed informally.
> This is a new type of entity in the IETF, and community feedback is
> therefore sought both on the specific charter and on the concept of having
> "teams" with documented charters as part of the IETF's activities.

what is a "team?"  how are they chartered, reviewed, ...?  who can join?
what are the rules for their process?

randy

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 01:26:56 -0500 (EST)

> what are the rules for their process?

and just what was it that the ietf needed education about?

> randy

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 06:53:29 -0600

> and just what was it that the ietf needed education about?

At each IETF for as long as I've been going, we do a newcomer's
orientation on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not sure when we started doing it, but we've been doing a security
tutorial on Sunday afternoon for a good number of IETFs..

At each IETF for as long as I've been a working group chair, we do a
new WG chair/BoF chair training session on Monday. In the past, this
has been by-invitation-only, so you had to already be a WG chair or
BoF chair to be present. We are opening this up to the community, so
it's a little like parachute training that takes place _after_ you
leave the plane.

We've recently started doing topical workshops for working group
chairs. Topics have included bringiing people up to speed on IPR
clarifications and dealing with IPR in working groups.

Does this help?

Spencer

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:55:46 -0800 (PST)

% > The IESG is considering creation of a formalized "education team" to manage
% > the IETF education efforts, which have so far been managed informally.
% > This is a new type of entity in the IETF, and community feedback is
% > therefore sought both on the specific charter and on the concept of having
% > "teams" with documented charters as part of the IETF's activities.
% 
% what is a "team?"  how are they chartered, reviewed, ...?  who can join?
% what are the rules for their process?
% 
% randy

	see also: "design team"  and/or "directorate"

--bill
Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:20:11 -0800

--On 1. november 2003 17:07 -0800 Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> The IESG is considering creation of a formalized "education team" to
>> manage the IETF education efforts, which have so far been managed
>> informally. This is a new type of entity in the IETF, and community
>> feedback is therefore sought both on the specific charter and on the
>> concept of having "teams" with documented charters as part of the IETF's
>> activities.
>

Randy,

as we discussed on the IESG list:

- it's not a WG, and it's not a directorate. we did not have a pre-made 
name for it. so we called it a "team". We only have one example of the 
breed, so we don't know what are typical properties for teams yet.
- because we want the community to know what we're doing, we're writing a 
charter for the activity.
- because we want the community to tell us what they think of the idea, 
we're sending the charter out for community review.

The rest of the information (how this particular team is operating) is in 
the charter.

What more do we need to decide before trying for running code?

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 20:03:49 -0800

> see also: "design team"  and/or "directorate"

there are written answers to those questions for your examples.  there
are not for this 'educational team.'

randy

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 00:46:58 -0500 (EST)

> orientation on Sunday afternoon.

Right.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

> tutorial on Sunday afternoon for a good number of IETFs..

Just to make sure of maximum access to machines on the temporary
ops.ietf.org network;)  Make sure to use telnet and pop3 so cleartext
passwords are passed over the network, etc?  Sorry, I've spent too much
time reading BOFH archives.

> it's a little like parachute training that takes place _after_ you

Ahhh.  I remember that.  I think I might have helped originate that policy
in Atlanta last year when I accidentally attended that meeting after
spying "lunch" on the agenda.

> clarifications and dealing with IPR in working groups.

Sure does.  Thanks Spencer, and its nice to meet you.

Scott

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:55:46 -0800 (PST)

--bill