Subject: RE: IETF58 - Network Facts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:43:49 +0100

<<BNSF (Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway) has started to deploy
Wi-Fi wireless LAN systems extensively in rail yards to allow crews to
remotely control engines used to make up trains. These Wi-Fi systems are
connected to a control panel that mimics the control panel of a diesel
locomotive -- "You can even blow the horn," Campbell said -- and are both
more efficient and less hazardous than manned locomotives.>>

http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,87322,00.html
?f=x68

So at least we know one place not to take the WiFi-enabled horde that is the
IETF road-show!

Then again...<vbg>

/gordon

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:59:44 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> <<BNSF (Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway) has started to
> deploy Wi-Fi wireless LAN systems extensively in rail yards to allow
> crews to remotely control engines used to make up trains. These Wi-Fi
> systems are connected to a control panel that mimics the control
> panel of a diesel locomotive -- "You can even blow the horn,"
> Campbell said -- and are both more efficient and less hazardous than
> manned locomotives.>>

Thanks, I didn't know about that one.  For more on WLAN and trains, 
google the following:

-NetSeal Avecra (in-train restauration's cashier syncs with station's
  mainframe)
-Virgin in UK (WLAN hotspots alongside tracks)
-GNER in UK
-Click TGV in France
-PointShot in the Bay Area
-last IETF in Japan, train from airport to city.
-I think there is a WLAN'ed train in Finland too.

> So at least we know one place not to take the WiFi-enabled horde that
> is the IETF road-show!

I think IETF'ers went to Japan and tried a WLAN'ed train near Tokio.

Alex