Subject: fun with base stations...

From: "Perry E.Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:25:17 -0500

Right now, I'm hearing (from where I'm sitting) eight different 802.11b
base stations on channel 6. Is this the intended configuration?

-- 
Perry E. Metzger		[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:53:53 -0600

> base stations on channel 6. Is this the intended configuration?

it is not an accident.  it is not the production plan.  but they
are not charging extra for it at the moment. :-)

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:46:04 -0600

> are not charging extra for it at the moment. :-)

So they are charging extra for using more than a single channel?  :-(

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:40:23 +0000

> base stations on channel 6. Is this the intended configuration?

I recall this wasn't unusual in Vienna (well, maybe not eight :) and the
wireless provision there was very good and stable from my experience.

It would be nice for whoever lays on such provision for the IETF to document
their approach.   I enquired about this on this list after Vienna, but
got no reply.    This would be helpful for other people organising events
where a few hundred wireless users may be expected.

Tim

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:53:07 -0800 (PST)

> where a few hundred wireless users may be expected.

my experiences with deploying wireless for ietf and nanog meetings was 
presented here:

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0302/density.html

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email-masked]    
GPG Key Fingerprint:     5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:37:12 -0600

On 10-nov-03, at 9:53, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>> It would be nice for whoever lays on such provision for the IETF to 
>> document their approach.   I enquired about this on this list after 
>> Vienna, but got no reply.    This would be helpful for other people 
>> organising events where a few hundred wireless users may be expected.

> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0302/density.html

This isn't the forum to get into this, but...

What I'm missing is guidance on how to make use of the available 
frequency space in the best way possible. Obviously doing everything on 
channel 6 as we saw yesterday (but has changed now) isn't the best 
approach. Using the non-overlapping channels 1, 6 and 11 is much 
better, but from what little I know about radio and encoding schemes I 
strongly suspect that controlled use of overlapping channels would lead 
to the best results in situations like these meetings.

---

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:09:33 -0600

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <[email-masked]>
> to the best results in situations like these meetings.

Testing has shown that using channels 1, 4, 8, and 11 doesn't lead to
performance impact either; the minor overlap is not enough to cause packet
loss.

Should this move to NANOG, perhaps?

S

Stephen Sprunk         "God does not play dice."  --Albert Einstein
CCIE #3723         "God is an inveterate gambler, and He throws the
K5SSS        dice at every possible opportunity." --Stephen Hawking