Subject: IETF 58 - Network Status - 11/11/03 - 10:45AM Local Time

From: Brett Thorson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:48:00 -0500

We have made some changes to the network and access points. The reports that 
we are hearing is that the network has improved.  We are always interested in 
your field reports.

Some of the field reports that we are getting are regarding rogue access 
points.  One such access point is "SnowNet".  Please check your machine for 
this network and kindly disable your AP.

We are still getting reports of people getting pulled over to machines running 
the IETF58 SSID in ad-hoc mode.  Please make sure you are not running in 
AD-HOC mode.

To use the IETF wireless network exclusively on Windows XP, please choose the 
"Access Point (infrastructure) networks only" option, which is available by 
clicking on "Wireless Properties", then selecting the "Wireless Networks" tab 
and then clicking on "Advanced". (K. Almeroth)

If you do detect machines in AD-HOC mode or machines that are rooted and being 
bad net citizens, please provide us with with as much information as you can 
(Including MAC Address), and we may look into take some kind of corrective 
action.

Special thanks to our kind NetOps volunteers K. O'Donoghue and C. Elliott for 
the tremendous effort they put forward to tune the wireless.  If you see them 
in the hallways and byways, please be sure to thank them.  Also, the all 
Volunteer NetOps crew is wearing Green Dots on their name tag.  If you see 
any of them, please be sure to thank them for coming to the IETF and 
volunteering their services to provide this meeting with a network.

--Brett

---

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:25:35 +0100

> we are hearing is that the network has improved.  We are always interested in 

Yes, I can confirm that stability has improved today.

> the IETF58 SSID in ad-hoc mode.  Please make sure you are not running in 

Setting the SSID explicitly to ietf58 helped a little bit, however,
I can't do anything right now about those guys running in ad-hoc with
ssid ietf58: my Orinoco card under Linux simply attaches to the machine
running ad-hoc mode.

> and then clicking on "Advanced". (K. Almeroth)

AFAIK it's the firmware that decides about performing a handover to other APs.
It would be interesting whether some experts can give me a clue, how the XP driver
instructs the firmware to disable attachment to cards in ad-hoc mode. The author
of the Orinoco Linux driver would be happy to add this feature to Linux, too.

> volunteering their services to provide this meeting with a network.

Thanks to you all, you're doing a great job (esp. that penalty box thing sounds cool)!!!

Roland