Subject: IETF58 - Network Facts

From: Brett Thorson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:26:30 -0500

I am still collecting data from the IETF 58 network, when I can state 
additional facts I will post them along this thread.  Until then, here are 
some facts that correct messages posted previously.

All wireless access points were set at 1 milliwatt on channel 6 when they were 
first deployed.  On and after Monday these value were changed.  We did not 
run all access points on 1 milliwatt on channel 6 beyond Sunday night.

10% of the community using a wireless NIC was operating in ad-hoc or AP mode 
at some point during the meeting.

I noticed many people in the terminal room using a hard wire connection.  When 
I did a non-scientific survey of a sample of these users, they did not have a 
wireless card at all.  Cost of the terminal room is not appropriate here.

If these volunteers didn't step forward, there would be no network.  Double or 
triple the meeting fees, it wouldn't cover the cost of suitable replacements 
for the talented volunteers or the hardware on temporary loan.  I've run 
those numbers, those are the facts.

-------In other news------
(Think Red Cross, don't think Power Company)

I had six people come up to me on Thursday to let me know that their wireless 
connection was acceptable (they used words like great, and no problems).  I 
hope that more people would take the time to document their positive 
experiences.  This will give us more perspective on the total experience and 
it is the only payment these volunteers get from this community.  

At this point, we know the issues, we know the complaints.  Right now, it 
would be nice to hear where the network did work, and some positive comments.  
A message to [email-masked] would be great.

I am going silent on this list for a while, don't want to stir things up too 
much.  Responses will be made privately if warranted.

--Brett

---

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:57:00 -0500

> at some point during the meeting.

Would it be possible to publish a list of MAC addresses that were
operating in ad-hoc or AP mode?  If all of the happened to come from a
signle manufacturer, that might be a very interesting data point.  A
public "hall of shame" might be very useful.  If we do detect a
pattern, perhaps a press release, "User friendly OS from company Xxxxx
disrupts Internet standards meeting" might get fast action to fix
buggy implementations!

> If these volunteers didn't step forward, there would be no network.
> Double or triple the meeting fees, it wouldn't cover the cost of >
> suitable replacements for the talented volunteers or the hardware on
> temporary loan.  I've run those numbers, those are the facts.

And we definitely need to thank those volunteers!  One question ---
did we do a public acknowledgement of the terminal and network
volunteers this time at the plenary?  Maybe it happened on one of the
days when I arrived late to the plenary, but if it didn't, let me
express my thanks and kudos now.  On a similar note, is there a way
that we can better acknowledge the efforts who worked so hard?

In addition, what kind of offers of help would be useful, as opposed
to just Getting In The Way?  Is it more bodies?  More equipment?  More
diagnostic tools?

						- Ted

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:04:52 -0500

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 04:57 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> operating in ad-hoc or AP mode?

I'll confess - it happened to me.  12" PowerBook running MacOS X 10.2.8.
It was flipping into ad-hoc mode pretty much every time I tried to use
the wireless network until I installed an updated Airport driver.
Fortunately the menu bar icon shows a small icon of a computer in the
middle of the Airport icon when it's in ad-hoc mode, so at least you can
spot it when it happens, and fortunately there's a fix available.

Melinda

---

From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:30:04 -0800

Well I was one satisfied customer :-)

> it is the only payment these volunteers get from this community.  

Except for some initial hiccups on Monday, and one location (hotel lobby
by the reception desk, where I think the hotel was supposed to have
turned off their APs, but clearly didn't), I had pretty near flawless
connectivity.  Regrettably, I was using an OS not known for its
reliability.  I had built-in wireless too, which I wasn't sure was going
to work because of reception issues at another conference.

> much.  Responses will be made privately if warranted.

-Vach