Subject: Re: IETF58 - Network Status - 12:05PM Local Time

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:17:56 -0800

There is an AODV test running but it requires, uh, running AODV.  See:
   http://moment.cs.ucsb.edu/aodv-ietf

It actually has nothing to do with the evil that is MSFT's ad hoc.  And,
it also works if you get everything configured correctly.

However, it is currently shutdown until the wireless is working happily.

As for those people who run around with their cards in ad hoc mode, yes,
especially here, they should know better.

As one of the people working on the tests, I'll send out email to [email-masked]
when we are bringing the AODV network back up to explain how to and how NOT
to use it.

-Kevin

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:04:45 +0100

> especially here, they should know better.

One problem may be those "helpful" features where the OS is switching 
to ad-hoc when there is no base station to be seen.  In Mac OS X 10.2, 
you can disable that (switch off "Allow this computer to create 
networks" in Airport tab of Network pane), but you cannot disable 
joining to an existing IBSS if the base station goes away.  As the base 
stations seem to go away a lot (an effect I don't understand yet), once 
*somebody* starts an ad-hoc, the Macs will sooner or later find it and 
then sustain it, as each IBSS Mac serves as a condensation point for 
other Macs.  Oops.
Fixed in 10.3, AFAIK.  Unfortunately, not everyone is running that yet.

Now in Windows XP, it seems to have become positively hard to enable 
Ad-hoc.
Previous Windowses are a different story...

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:04:45 +0100

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:34:43 -0600

> joining to an existing IBSS if the base station goes away.

Hm, in that case it's probably better for Mac users to _not_ explicitly 
join the ietf58 network, but rather let it select the network 
automatically, as I doubt it will create an IBSS network under the name 
"ANY" when the base stations go away.