Subject: Re: IETF58 - Network Facts

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:56:35 -0000

Is that 11xx xxxx as in local group address or xxxx xx00 as in universal
unicast?

Tom Petch

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
To: 'Theodore Ts'o' <[email-masked]>; Brett Thorson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 November 2003 17:23
Subject: RE: IETF58 - Network Facts

>Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to publish a list of MAC addresses that were
>> operating in ad-hoc or AP mode?  If all of the happened to come from a
>> signle manufacturer, that might be a very interesting data point.
>
>A lot -- possibly even a majority -- of the cards I saw operating in
>ad-hoc mode were using mac address prefixes that aren't assigned
>to any manufacturer by the IEEE [1]. Many started with the octet "C0".
>I even saw a card in ad-hoc mode with a MAC address of FF:FF:FF::FF:FF:FF.
>