Subject: [Fwd: TAG announces Last Call review of Architecture Document]

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 2003 19:02:35 -0500

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Ian B. Jacobs <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: TAG announces Last Call review of Architecture Document
Date: 09 Dec 2003 18:14:09 -0500

Dear www-tag,

Below is a copy of the email I just sent to the W3C Chairs
announcing the Last Call of the Architecture Document. The
TAG looks forward to your reviews!

 _ Ian
=============================================================

On behalf of the Technical Architecture Group (TAG) [1], I am
pleased to announce the publication of the 9 December 2003
"Architecture of the World Wide Web, First Edition" Last Call
Working Draft. The document is available at:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/

Review end date: 5 March 2004 
Mailing list   : [email-masked] (archive [2])

The TAG has scheduled an extended Last Call review period so that
groups inside and outside of W3C have sufficient time to read and
review this document. The review period will remain open through
the W3C Technical Plenary Week 2004, where the TAG expects to
meet with some of the Working Groups named below.

Please find below the following information:

   * Which groups should review this document
   * Decision to advance to Last Call
   * Issues the TAG has addressed in the First Edition
   * Patent disclosures
   * The abstract and status section

For more information on the purpose of a Last Call review, please
consult section 7.4.2 of the W3C Process Document [3].

The TAG looks forward to your review comments,

For Tim Berners-Lee, TAG co-Chair, and
Stuart Williams, TAG co-Chair,
Ian Jacobs, Architecture Document Editor

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webarch-comments/
[3] http://www.w3.org/2003/06/Process-20030618/tr.html#last-call

========================================
Which groups should review this document
========================================

The intended audience for the document includes:

 1. Participants in W3C Activities; i.e., developers of Web
    technologies and specifications in W3C,
 2. Other groups and individuals developing technologies to be
    integrated into the Web,
 3. Implementers of W3C specifications,
 4. Web content authors and publishers.

The TAG welcomes review from all interested parties. In
particular, we request review from the following W3C groups:

 HTML WG                     [Steven Pemberton, Chair]
 Internationalization WG/IG  [Addison Phillips, Chair]
 RDF Core WG                 [Dan Brickley, Brian McBride
                              co-Chairs]
 SVG WG                      [Chris Lilley, Chair]
 XML Core WG                 [Paul Grosso, Norm Walsh co-Chairs]
 XML Schema WG               [Michael Sperberg-McQueen,
                              Dave Hollander, co-Chairs]
 Web Ontology WG             [Jim Hendler, Guus Schreiber, 
                              co-Chairs]
 Web Services Description WG [Jonathan Marsh, Chair]             
 Voice Browser WG            [Jim Larson, Scott McGlashan 
                              co-Chairs]

The Chairs of some of these groups have already confirmed with
the TAG their intent to review the document. For other groups,
the W3C Director will appreciate a response (sent to
[email-masked]) with or without review comments.

=================================
Decision to advance to Last Call
=================================

The TAG decided unanimously to advance to Last Call at their
4 Dec 2003 teleconference:
   http://www.w3.org/2003/12/04-tag-summary#lcdecision

If the Last Call review is positive, the TAG expects to request
to advance directly to Proposed Recommendation.

=================================================
Issues the TAG has addressed in the First Edition
=================================================

The TAG charter [4] describes a process for issue resolution by
the TAG. In accordance with those provisions, the TAG maintains a
running issues list [5]. The First Edition of "Architecture of
the World Wide Web" does not address every issue that the TAG has
accepted since it began work in January 2002. The TAG has
selected a subset of issues that the First Edition does address
to the satisfaction of the TAG; those issues are identified in
the TAG's issues list. The TAG intends to address the remaining
(and future) issues after publication of the First Edition as a
Recommendation.

[4] http://www.w3.org/2001/07/19-tag
[5] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html

==================
Patent disclosures
==================

There are currently no patent disclosures regarding "Architecture
of the World Wide Web, First Edition" Patent disclosures
regarding this document are listed here:

  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/disclosures

=================================
Abstract of Architecture Document
=================================

The World Wide Web is a network-spanning information space of
resources interconnected by links.  This information space is the
basis of, and is shared by, a number of information
systems. Within each of these systems, agents (people and
software) retrieve, create, display, analyze, and reason about
resources.

Web architecture includes the definition of the information space
in terms of identification and representation of its contents,
and of the protocols that support the interaction of agents in an
information system making use of the space. Web architecture is
influenced by social requirements and software engineering
principles, leading to design choices that constrain the behavior
of systems using the Web in order to achieve desired properties
of the shared information space: efficiency, scalability, and the
potential for indefinite growth across languages, cultures, and
media. This document reflects the three bases of Web
architecture: identification, interaction, and representation.

==========================
Status section
[Minus some boilerplate]
==========================

This is the 9 December 2003 Last Call Working Draft of
"Architecture of the World Wide Web, First Edition." The Last
Call review period ends 5 March 2004, at 23:59 ET. Please send
Last Call review comments on this document before that date to
the public W3C TAG mailing list [email-masked]
(archive). Last Call Working Draft status is described in section
7.4.2 of the W3C Process Document.

This document has been developed by W3C's Technical Architecture
Group (TAG) (charter). The TAG decided unanimously to advance to
Last Call at their 4 Dec 2003 teleconference (minutes). A
complete list of changes to this document since the first public
Working Draft is available on the Web.

The TAG charter describes a process for issue resolution by the
TAG. In accordance with those provisions, the TAG maintains a
running issues list. The First Edition of "Architecture of the
World Wide Web" does not address every issue that the TAG has
accepted since it began work in January 2002. The TAG has
selected a subset of issues that the First Edition does address
to the satisfaction of the TAG; those issues are identified in
the TAG's issues list. The TAG intends to address the remaining
(and future) issues after publication of the First Edition as a
Recommendation.

This document uses the concepts and terms regarding URIs as
defined in draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03, preferring them to
those defined in RFC 2396. The IETF Internet Draft
draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03 is expected to obsolete RFC
2396, which is the current URI standard. The TAG is tracking the
evolution of draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-03.

Publication as a Working Draft does not imply endorsement by the
W3C Membership. This is a draft document and may be updated,
replaced or obsoleted by other documents at any time. It is
inappropriate to cite this document as other than "work in
progress." The latest information regarding patent disclosures
related to this document is available on the Web.

-- 
Ian Jacobs ([email-masked])   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447