Subject: Ietf ITU DNS stuff III

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:19:22 -0500

Dean said:
>There are, though, good reasons to have some government controls on
>telecom.  Whether these controls are too excessive or too lax is not up to
>ICANN or the ITU.  I can think of cases were some good has come of it.  
>E911, for example. Radio, TV, cellphone allocations. Ham Radio licences.
>If license-free wireless operation weren't restricted in power, few people
>would be able to use 802.11 because one company would be broadcasting at
>hundreds of watts, etc.

Well, you know both charters and constitutions can be revised with consent.
Of course, you're right, some brokerage and allocation is necessary. Italy
had a UHF Don't care policy for low power TV and it turned out to be
probably not in the public interest. Still the essence of all this is
content versus communications.

The general idea surely of the ITU came about exactly in the context of
limited frequencies and power, etc. So, fine. Coordination of this is
reasonable.

Internet needs *far* less of this thinking then any previous globally built
system. The reason is, mostly you have 65535 ways to do most anything...
minimum and some odd hundreds of millions of places/machines/people to do it.

If Internet didn't exist in its present form and work... ITU types would
make dire predictions over how without regulation it simply wouldn't work
independent of content. The argument would be framed as a common sense
technological issue. The variant of it is "unless the real adults take
over... sooner of later (FILL_IN_THE_BLANK) will hyjack it", trust us!

(FILL_IN_THE_BLANK) is Pornographers | Spammers | Terrorists | Microsoft |
Mumbo_Jumbo | etc.

I'm trying to seek in my little gray matter even one benefit of having the
ITU do anything with the DNS. I mean, maybe somebody can point out a URL of
something with an upside to it whatsoever.

In January, some obscure protocol is going to link Internet *IN GENERAL
REALLY* to two orbiters around Mars to talk to little buggies which
hopefully will land and work.

So this thinking, so far has not only worked here quite well, but even seems
to be usable off planet. Am I missing something?

Regsards,
Dan

I hope this isn't too far afield of ietf stuffola. I'm kinda of worried
about that, (but no too worried to click on SEND)

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Dec 2003 14:54:08 +1200

> about that, (but no too worried to click on SEND)

Well to come back to my original comment, is that IETF, IANA and ICANN
by being "individual members" organisations do not have the front of
ITU, which is unfortunate as the Internet is not being done in ITU.
Governments have to understand that and for that dissociate themselves
from the old telco concept...

----
Franck Martin
[email-masked]
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard

---

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:20:15 -0600

> limited frequencies and power, etc. So, fine. Coordination of this is

Well, when a nation makes laws and treaties obliging both its citizens and
itself to follow certain rules and standards, the nation expects a certain
degree of control over the development of said rules and standards.  The
structure of the ITU (and ISO) is a reasonable design for that scenario.

By and large, compliance with Internet standards is voluntary and
self-motivated; this requires (allows?) a very different organizational
structure.  However, in passing S. 877, the US Congress has for the first
time referenced "Internet Engineering Task Force Standards" (Sec 11.2) in a
law.  For now, it is only as a suggestion to the FTC for rulemaking, not
directly mandating compliance, but if this is a sign of things to come...

Thus spake Franck Martin
> Well to come back to my original comment, is that IETF, IANA and
> ICANN by being "individual members" organisations do not have the
> front of ITU, which is unfortunate as the Internet is not being done in
ITU.
> from the old telco concept...

If the Internet _were_ done in the ITU, it would look like the phone system,
and we'd still be stuck in the 1970's.

S

Stephen Sprunk         "God does not play dice."  --Albert Einstein
CCIE #3723         "God is an inveterate gambler, and He throws the
K5SSS        dice at every possible opportunity." --Stephen Hawking