Subject: Re: Ietf ITU DNS stuff III

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:15:34 -0500

Franck said:
>Well to come back to my original comment, is that IETF, IANA and ICANN
>by being "individual members" organisations do not have the front of
>ITU, which is unfortunate as the Internet is not being done in ITU.
>Governments have to understand that and for that dissociate themselves
>from the old telco concept...

Interesting point. IETF, IANA and even (maybe) ICANN should have a banner
advertising program, so many/most/nearly all websites have an anchor/link to
a constituentcy web precence explaining where internet came from.

You people in the list that represent big money... CISCO, Motorola, Juniper,
etc: If ITU get in this, the pace of innovation will cease. I mean, they
like H.323 not SIP and X.400 Email. So this will materially hurt your business.

Here's what they will do if there allowed to: Make pacts with federal
goverments; (like the GSA and European Union), to only buy stuff conforming
to there standards, which evolve as slowly as possible and are designed to
make only incremental investments in hardware likely.

So... The big contracts are pulled. Nodays, the "civilian" pull is pretty
big, so this isn't a full stop. I mean, linksys care far more about what the
buyer thinks at Wallmart than the D.O.D.

But at some level, this (proposed) string pulling will hurt network advancement.

So its worth developing a paid ad campaign, but hopefully most if not all
the media should be on the web itself. Of course, a paper sack of unmarked
bills always helps when dealing with professional polititians.

This is totally a hardcore "I told you so" issue. I hope I'm wrong, but if
it plays out badly you will think; "Dad-burn-it! he was right back in 2003!".

Regards,
Dan

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Dec 2003 10:01:31 +1200

It always striked me that a programme as popular as "BBC Click online",
never showed up at an ISOC (INET) or IETF meeting, but went to meetings
where the Internet is made (Internet World, CeBit,...)

Cheers

> it plays out badly you will think; "Dad-burn-it! he was right back in 2003!".

----
Franck Martin
[email-masked]
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard