Subject: FWD: ICANN GNSO Request for public comment on Regsitry Services

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:00:59 -0500

Hi.

This seems worth forwarding to the IETF list in case people have 
comments they would like to submit as individuals.  I'm also 
forwarding it to the IAB in the event that they think a formal 
comment is appropriate.

Reading hint: while the proposed procedure seems, from the 
description, to be oriented toward requests such as

	"we have been registering only names from organizations
	of type X, we would now like to register type Y as well"
or 	
	"we would like to charge EUR 5 per year rather than USD
	6"

it would presumably also apply to requests such as:

	"we would like to start registering arbitrary binary
	strings in the TLD"
	"we would like to auction off a wildcard record in the
	TLD"
or
	"we would like to start putting, e.g., NAPTR and SRV
	records in the TLD zone, not just NS records."

I suspect some members of this community might have opinions on 
such issues.  If we do, it seems reasonable to make comments on 
the procedures that would ensure the availability of adequate 
and early consideration.  Or maybe we don't care after all.

Note that discussion here is pointless: if you have a position 
and want to express it, tell the GNSO according to the 
instructions given on the cited web pages.

regards,
    john

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Monday, 08 December, 2003 23:41 +0100
From: GNSO SECRETARIAT <[email-masked]>
To: announce <[email-masked]>
Subject: [announce] Request for public comment on Regsitry 
Services

[To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]]
[To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]]

Please see the request for Public comment on:
Procedure for use by ICANN in considering requests for consent
and related contractual amendments to allow changes in the
architecture or operation of a gTLD registry
at:
http://gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org/comments-request/

http://gnso.icann.org/issues/registry-services/tor-revised.shtml
Draft Terms of reference
Procedure for use by ICANN in considering requests for consent
and related contractual amendments to allow changes in the
architecture or operation of a gTLD registry

COMMENT  PERIOD is open for 20 days and ENDS  28 DECEMBER 2003,
23:00 GMT

Thank you in anticipation for the time taken to comment.

GNSO Secretariat

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------