Subject: The Korean power plug

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:42:27 -0800 (PST)

At first glance, the power plug used in Korea looks just like the one
used in most of Western Europe, known as the "Euro-plug". But the Korean
plug is actually subtly different. The pins are 4.8 mm in diameter vs
4.0 mm for the Euro plug.

Does it matter, and should you care if you are going to the Seoul IETF?

Probably not, a Euro plug will fit, but if you want a more mechanically
stable solution, plan to use either:

- A *grounded* European plug (these have 4.8 mm pins also)

or

- A native Korean plug

[The Apple World-Wide adapter kit contains both a Euro and a Korean plug]

For the gory details, look at:

http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/Voltage_map/bigmap/ao.html

... and click on the "A" and "B" plugs.

Yes, the Sascom will work. Yes, you can buy Korean plugs in Seoul and add
them to your own power cable. And you can probably buy a Korean power
cable too if you search around.

So, who's planning a day or half-day trip to the DMZ? There are lots of
tour operators who offer trips. Google is your friend :-)

Ole

***** www.organdemo.info  OUR NEXT EVENT IS NEXT WEEK AT RIPE 47  *****

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj