Subject: Visa for Korea (same as Vienna)

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:59:24 -0800 (PST)

My suggestion:  do what you did for Vienna.  Vienna has the same rules:

U.S. citizens in possession of a valid U.S.-passport do not need a visa if traveling
to Austria as a tourist for a period not to exceed 90 days (visa waiver program).

-Kevin

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:40:02 -0500

> to Austria as a tourist for a period not to exceed 90 days (visa 

We're not traveling as tourists, strictly speaking.

The same situation exists with Americans entering Canada, believe it
or not.  If you're American and enter Canada to do commercial business
(i.e. you're selling stuff, or you're being paid by a Canadian firm,
etc.) you need a Canadian work permit.  I used to cross the border for
work quite often (American employee of Canadian firm) and usually said
that I was attending an academic conference, which did the trick.

Melinda

---

From: Gene Gaines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:01:37 -0500

An attempt to attenuate the visa discussion.

The Korean Consulate in Washington DC is preparing an official
letter intended to clearly state that U.S. citizens do not need
a visa to attend the IETF meeting in Seoul.

I will forward a graphic of the letter to the IETF Directorate,
who has agreed to post on the web.

Suggest giving the visa for U.S. citizens issue a rest for
four days, time to get the official letter.

Note.  I can think of no reason to have a letter of invitation
unless you need a visa.

Gene Gaines
[email-masked]
Sterling, Virginia