Subject: Wiki RFC

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 2004 12:49:38 +1200

I was just wondering if there has been any work to standardise the Wiki
syntax/system into an RFC?

Cheers
----
Franck Martin
[email-masked]
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:25:15 -0800

> syntax/system into an RFC?

AFAIK, no.
Do you know of any effort to make stable documentation for the WIKI syntax 
& functionality, or is it just "use the Source, Luke"?

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 15:10:02 +1200

Well,

As part of the www.tikiwiki.org project, I have been talking about
writing the wiki syntax into an RFC like documentation. I think the wiki
syntax in this project is in documentation format but not looking like
an RFC. 

I think we could quickly whack an RFC on wiki, and ask people to
contribute to it... When it is stabilised we could submit to IETF.

The advantage, is that there is already an implementation, the other
advantage would be to bring some standardisation in all the wiki.

I think since the creation of the Web, there has not been such a
revolution as wiki. Imagine an e-mail message wiki formated. No need to
use HTML anymore in a multi part message. The text can be read as is, or
wiki interpreted for better display...

Cheers

----
Franck Martin
[email-masked]
SOPAC, Fiji

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:40:03 -0800

please do - it would follow in the glorious tradition of publishing RFCs 
for such useful things as the OGG file format, the Vorbis codec and the 
zlib compression formats.....

--On 29. januar 2004 15:10 +1200 Franck Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> syntax in this project is in documentation format but not looking like an
> RFC.
>

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 2004 16:46:08 +1200

The page is on:
http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=RFCWiki

Also some background
http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=TextWiki

and the syntax to be put in RFC format:
http://doc.tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Wiki+Text+Formatting

Anybody wanting to help is most welcome...

----
Franck Martin
[email-masked]
SOPAC, Fiji

---

From: Rick Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:52:44 -0700

> & functionality, or is it just "use the Source, Luke"?

And beware those peddling "The" wiki syntax.

Most engines invent their own.

I know the one I've written leans far more to the natural-language side
of things at the moment.

---

From: arifumi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 02:25:37 +0900

hi,

> & functionality, or is it just "use the Source, Luke"?

FYI,
there are some efforts,
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiMarkupStandard

and Japanese Wiki syntax standardization,
http://lab.lolipop.jp/fswiki/wiki.cgi/wikistandard
(Japanese only)
-- 
/arifumi