Subject: ASRG/IRTF Soliciting Volunteers and Feedback

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:34:58 -0500

The Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) of the IRTF is seeking feedback and 
volunteers from the wider IETF community. We have recently changed our 
charter to focus on approaches that can be defined, deployed and used in 
the near term, likely to lead to usable results, and to avoid those that 
duplicate other efforts or that have proven unproductive in the past. 
Majority of our research will seek to provide input into the IETF 
standardization activities. We are refocusing our efforts on the 
following areas:

o Problem areas in the current email architecture that facilitate junk 
email and network abuse, and the impact of each area on the overall problem
o Analysis of persistent patterns in spam and spammer behavior that can 
be used to improve existing and propose new solutions.
o Best Current Practices for Spam Control - including email admins, end 
users, MTA developers, blacklist operators, etc..
o Filtering Standards - dynamic updates, standard headers for MTAs, etc.
o Abuse Reporting Standards - research into common standards for 
exchanging information about network and email abuse.
o. SMTP Session Verification - verification of the SMTP transaction 
(e.g. LMAP, etc.).
o Message Verification - verification of both the message headers and 
content (e.g. DK, Lumos, TEOS, etc.)

More information can be found on our webpage at:
http://asrg.sp.am. Feedback is welcome on our mailing list, 
[email-masked] or to the chairs directly.

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG/IRTF

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Some lies are easier to believe than the truth" (Dune)
-------