Subject: Verisign to make changes to .com and .net SOA values in 30 days

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:58:32 -0500

According to a post on NANOG list, Verisign will change the serial
number format and "minimum" value in the .com and .net zones' SOA
records on or shortly after 9 February 2004. According to the post "this
serial number format change is in preparation for potentially more
frequent updates to these zones."

The relevant NANOG thread seems to have already covered all issues 
involved including "possible" RFC problems. I am posting this here so 
people should be aware of the change.

Relevant NANOG post is here:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg00794.html

Related InfoWorld story here:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/01/08/HNverisigncom_1.html

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I ate your Web page. / Forgive me. It was juicy / And tart on my 
tongue." (MIT's 404 Message)
-------