Subject: Effectiveness of STUN protocol

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:42:48 -0500

Michel said:
>This is not true. Kaaza does not require to open any ports nor configure
>anything in the NAT box. The latest versions of SIP using STUN don't
>either.

Dan asks:

Yes indeed. Probably the #1 biggest use for STUN short term is going to be
SIP. It seems like not too much information has to go thru the known
reachable machine. Maybe just about the same loading as a DNS server?

So, although its kind of a work around, its probably going to do the job.

Does that seem right?

Dan

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:26:02 +0900

Dan Kolis;

> reachable machine. Maybe just about the same loading as a DNS server?

Wrong. For a host to receive external calls, the binding on a
NAT box must be active all the time that periodic refresh is
required.

OTOH, DNS query is necessary only on demands when a host want to
initiate external calls.

						Masataka Ohta