Subject: Re: Propose some information retrieval protocols for Internet

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar \(UMKC-Student\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:12:05 -0600

> As far as I can tell from the information presented at this location: not
> really, although there could be significant synergy. The difference is 
> that computer aided learning is still based on content developed by humans,
> while intelligent searching should be handled completely automatically to 
> be useful. 
 
I don't think it is possible to architect a semantic search engine(to resolve 
complex queries you mentioned before) without human-in-loop content mark up. 
For example, Sir Timbl's vision( semantic web) can be used for doing semantic 
based keyword match-making. But, it requires us to mark-up in a AI-tinted 
language like RDF. It is hard to come up with a pure algorithmic solution 
(like page ranking) for semantic search/query. 
 
> On the other hand, the content to be searched must be tagged appropriately 
> first so the search engines know whether "bgp" means "border  gateway 
> protocol" or "borders group inc" so maybe the difference isn't all  that 
> huge.
 
yes. This kind of *intelligent* metadata tagging can be done using RDF. 
But, who is going to semantically annotate the bulk of existing html data 
pool?  

> I don't think AI is the (full) solution here, as some ambiguities are 
> simply not resolvable from the source information, even by reasonably 
> informed humans. For instance, there are seven people with the name 
> "robert rodriguez" in the movie industry alone.
 
Any kind of metadata based solution can resolve this context ambiguity. 
Digital library folks have been doing this for years.
 
 or how about
 
http://www.irtf.org/siren/draft-klensin-dns-search-05.txt ?

---

From: "wang liang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:36:23 +0800

In fact, our project is just a digital library project. DRIS is its main
part. Another part is Mylibrary@HUST, a intellitent search system, which
will directly answer all your question in the future. But now it can only
answer some questions about routine of libray. Such system is also called
virtual consulting system, which is a traditional research subject in
digital library. There has been some excellent systems in some libraries.

But the main disadvantage of these systems lie that its knowledge database
is too small and can only answer few questions. Internet may be the biggest
knowledge database, so we proposed the DRIS, which will act as the knowledge
source of such personal intelligent systems.

At all, we need an answer, but not piles of jumbled hyperlinks.