Subject: RE: P2P - Crime / NAT

From: "Yuri Ismailov (KI/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:33:36 +0100

Ipv6 works in WinXP. Latest developer SDK support socket programing over v6.
No NetBIOS.
Disabling of pseudo interfaces can be done by stopping 6to4 service.
This may be useful if there is a global IPv6 configured. Otherwise OS returns the whole bunch of IPv6 addresses and in some cases, when needed, the code should take care of which one to choose. This is the case with latest java_1.5.0 to my knowledge.
Programming aplications, which are both v6 and v4 aware is quite a pain but may be achieved as well.
Win2000 can use IPv6 as well. I got working MS Research prerelease under Win2000 and it is not different from what you get in XP. However, requires separate download and some SP number. If remember correctly should be at least 2.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: den 20 januari 2004 00:51
To: Mark Smith
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: P2P - Crime / NAT

>This really doesn't say much about the scalability of the
>solution. What it indicates is how much effort people are
>willing to go to to commit what is perceived as victimless crime.

Two things.
First, here in Canada there is a new tax on "media" like writable CD's;
(extendable to Memory cards, or anything that likely holds licenced media).
And this ostensibly is redistributed to the artists via some sort of audit
like Arbitron, etc. So, at least here downloading movies, etc is part of a
transaction. Apparently, oddly its legal to download music specifically...
but MAYBE isn't legal; to offer it on a permenently available server ...
with what constitutes a "server" intentionally vague. 

Law is a work around by its very nature. It only pretends precision.

Second: If/When I start a residential gateway I think I will do everything
possible to make it IpNG capable. Thanks everyone for talking me into it.
I'm trying to study it in detail a little every evening to get ready. I hope
cable TV (my industry) get with the program and do this right. These little
boxes glued all over the networks with there http interfaces... are not
specifically too good. If anything will force the issue its going to be SIP
I think.

Does anyone know when/if Microsoft is bring out a consumer operating system
with IpV6 in it? That would be useful for market acceptance...???

regs
Dan

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:50:40 +0100

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

[This might be getting ietf-offtopic...]

> Disabling of pseudo interfaces can be done by stopping 6to4 service.

But when you disable the 6to4 service you disable a lot of
other services as it was wrongly named. It is actually the
6to4 *helper* service taking care of a number of things
amongst others the portproxy helper.

If one wants to disable 6to4 and teredo, then use:
netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled disabled
netsh int ipv6 set teredo disable

> This may be useful if there is a global IPv6 configured. 
> Otherwise OS returns the whole bunch of IPv6 addresses and in 
> some cases, when needed, the code should take care of which 
> one to choose. This is the case with latest java_1.5.0 to my 
> knowledge.

Set correct routes, use metrics etc. This should not be a
problem and your program should take care of that.
There is work for a new IPv6 Java API which will support
all the special nifty IPv6 features too.

> Programming aplications, which are both v6 and v4 aware is 
> quite a pain but may be achieved as well.

Use getaddrinfo() and relieve yourself of 'the pain'
See the following great document by Eva Castro:
http://jungla.dit.upm.es/~ecastro/IPv6-web/ipv6.html
Or Itojun's article from way back in 1998:
http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/

> Win2000 can use IPv6 as well. I got working MS Research 
> prerelease under Win2000 and it is not different from what 
> you get in XP.

It is *very* different from the version in XP, it doesn't
do a lot of things which did get fixed in the XP version.

> However, requires separate download and some 
> SP number. If remember correctly should be at least 2.

See the FAQ on the MS site or simply download the prepped
version from eg http://hs247.com which has the fixed hotfix.ini
with updated version numbering.

> (extendable to Memory cards, or anything that likely holds licenced media).

They have that 'tax' also in the Netherlands, but still, even though
you are 'paying' money for 'copyrighted' material to some vague organisation
one is not allowed to copy copyrighted material onto it.

I still also wonder why one can buy a pallet of burnable cd's at the
supermarket or every computer corner around the shop and nobody really
cares about that ;) Or even cooler: Copy your cd's from Polygram
(read: Philips) onto cd recordable's which are manufactured by Philips
using your double-decked Philips CD-Copy-Home-Station ;)
They really are doing it themselves.

> with IpV6 in it? That would be useful for market acceptance...???

XP SP1 and 2003 support it from the default install and are supported.
NT4/2000 have stacks available from MS Research which work but have
quirks and are not supported...

Greets,
 Jeroen