Subject: RE: Intellectual property clarification - please

From: "Sal Mangiapane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:33:09 -0400

> > Is it the intention to always include the IPR statement and the RFC
> > Editor will only "ensure" it when an IPR disclosure has been made?
> 
> I read it as "If we are aware of an IPR claim or disclosure, the RFC Editor
> will include the appropriate text.".  I don't see any requirement that the RFC Editor
> add text protecting against an undisclosed "submarine" patent claim or similar
> unfriendly activities....
> 
> (Whether such language *should* be added to protect against that is a subject
> for another flame-fest, another day.. ;)

I don't expect the RFC Editor to add any text.  It appeared that an IPR statement was
only required by the authors when they also made an IPR disclosure.  Likewise, when an
IPR disclosure was made, the RFC Editor would make sure that the IPR statement was
within the document.

I am comfortable with the understanding that the IPR statement is always included and
the RFC Editor will only be required to verify when an IPR disclosure has been made too.

Then of course I ask myself.  If it is supposed to always be included why not "ensure"
it is in there for every document?

IMHO (I have no authority :) it appears that an IPR statement should be included in all
documents.

Regards,

Sal

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf