Subject: Re: RFC 3164 i.e. BSD Syslog Protocol

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:42:40 +0200

In theory there's no reason multicast SYSLOG shouldn't work.  The packet 
format doesn't need to change and you just need to bind to a multicast 
socket.  I haven't any idea how implementations will currently behave.

But you're addressing two separate problems- distribution and 
reliability.  Reliability is addressed with SYSLOG/BEEP, which I believe 
is a Proposed Standard (RFC 3195).

Eliot

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Sabharwal, Atul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:43:53 -0700

>is a Proposed Standard (RFC 3195).

Part of the reliability standard is TCP based. Hence, multicast is not
Supported. On the UDP side, it can be done.

Thanks,

Atul