Subject: FYI - Peer to Peer TN to URI resolution technology

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:48:35 -0400

At Fall VON here in Boston Mark Spencer of Asterisk introduced a new 
concept for TN to URI resolution you might be interested in looking at.

Personally as with most peer to peer technologies you have some global 
scaling issues but he has expressed an interest in proposing the technology 
in the IETF.

Note he is explicitly NOT offering the draft in accordance with 2026

http://www.dundi.com/dundi.txt

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:[email-masked]
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:03:07 +0200

--On onsdag, oktober 20, 2004 15:48:35 -0400 Richard Shockey 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> scaling issues but he has expressed an interest in proposing the
> technology in the IETF.
>

Since his draft contains 2026 boilerplate, not 3667 boilerplate, I guess it 
did not make it past the guardians :-(

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:21:42 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Richard Shocke
>scaling issues but he has expressed an interest in proposing the technology 

Note that the proposal is causing heartburn in the Security Area.
>http://www.dundi.com/dundi.txt

And?

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:20:40 -0400

>Note that the proposal is causing heartburn in the Security Area.

I have no doubt.

> >http://www.dundi.com/dundi.txt

And what?  :-)  I'm assuming he is going to claim intellectual property here.

Proposals such as this are a direct result of the political difficulties in 
globally deploying 3761 aka ENUM. People are becoming impatient. This is to 
be expected but the process has worked up to this point and over 24 nation 
states have received their delegations and even in North America there is 
progress towards a deployment in 2005.

  IMHO this proposal is not useful as a global service for any number of 
well known reasons, however properly reviewed and modified it might have 
some uses in  managing private dial plans within a domain as in the case of 
IP-PBX's.

Of course any decent database technology could preform the same function.