Subject: RE: Alternative hotels in DC

From: "Winkler, Arnold F" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:29:28 -0400

Just a few more:

Marriott at Metro Center, 775 12th St. NW, 202-737-2200

Grand Hyatt, 1000 H Street NW, 202-582-1234

The Jefferson, 1200 16th Street NW, 202-347-2200

Washington Renaissance, 999 9th Street NW, 202-898-9000  

Arnold

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Ben Crosby
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 8:58 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Alternative hotels in DC

I believe that there was a Marriott accross the street from the Hilton. 
Hopefully someone from the secretariat will comment. 

Ben. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wed Oct 06 23:37:47 2004
Subject: Alternative hotels in DC

Dear All,

Can anyone suggest another hotel for IETF 61? Hilton Washington is
booked
full.

Thank you

Saravanan Govindan

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:48:09 -0400

> Washington Renaissance, 999 9th Street NW, 202-898-9000

Those are a bit of a schlep from the Hilton.  There are a couple of
smaller, boutique-style hotels of, um, varying quality nearer the 
Hilton,
like the Churchill, which is nice, and the Normandy Inn, which is okay.
I think there's also a Westin on Connecticut towards Dupont Circle.

Melinda

---

From: Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:23:39 -0400

> I think there's also a Westin on Connecticut towards Dupont Circle.

There's also a Marriott Courtyard literally across the street:

http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage.mi?marshaCode=WASNW

Matt

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:26:04 -0400

>http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage.mi?marshaCode=WASNW

Basically anything in the Dupont Circle area ( which is the closest Metro 
stop BTW ) or along Connecticut Avenue.

http://washington.travelhero.com/index.cfm/subregionid/270/aid/937/index.htm

You will have no trouble dining locally since literally dozens of excellent 
restaurants are within walking distance

If you are flying into National there is a metro stop directly at the 
Airport you take the Blue line to Mertro Center and go upstairs to catch 
the Red line... If you are coming into Dulles ... sorry its $45.00 minimum 
we've been trying to get it out there for the last 10 years..

Excellent tourist information is at.

http://www.washington.org

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:[email-masked]
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:02:52 -0400

> we've been trying to get it out there for the last 10 years..
$45?  Nah, only if you take a cab.  If you are coming into Dulles, you take
the Washington Flyer shuttle ($8) to the West Falls Church Metro station.
That's the orange line, which you take to Metro center and change to the red
line to Dupont Circle.  The metro ride from West Falls Church to Dupont
Circle will cost you $1.85 off peak, $2.70 peak.
http://www.washfly.com/
http://www.wmata.com/

Another alternative is SuperShuttle, which is around $24 or so.
http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/dca.htm

Brian

---

From: Gene Gaines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:01:07 -0400

Transport alternatives from the 3 Washington area airports to
the Washington Hilton hotel.

FROM REAGAN AIRPORT:

  As Brian states (below), a taxi or Metro makes sense from
  Reagan airport because it is quite close to downtown DC, and
  there is a Metro station at the airport.

  Best alternatives:
  - Taxi: about US$ 18.
  - Metro (subway):  $2 - $3  Walk 4 blocks from Metro to
      hotel, see Brian's directions below.
  - Supershuttle: $12 first person, $8 each additional person.

FROM DULLES AIRPORT:

  Dulles is rather far out in Virginia, no rail or Metro.

  Choice of:
  - Direct taxi: $50.
  - Supershuttle: $25 one person, $8 each additional person
      going to same hotel.
  - Cheapest:  Washington Flyer Shuttle to Metro, take Metro,
      transfer to second Metro, walk 4 blocks to hotel, $10-12.

  From Dulles, SuperShuttle is the best compromise between price
  and convenience. Small vans, run 24 hours, may stop at several
  hotels before getting to yours.

  SHARING SUPERSHUTTLE: To get the reduced rate, before you
  board the SuperShuttle, check in with the Supershuttle
  dispatcher in the bus area, say you are with the IETF and name
  the hotel you are going to, the SuperShuttle people are nice
  and will permit you to share at the $35 + $8 price.

  At Dulles, directions to Supershuttle bus: Collect your
  baggage and follow signs for ground transportation leading you
  directly to the SuperShuttle boarding area located on lower
  level, outside at curb 1D or 1E. There will be a uniformed
  SuperShuttle dispatcher. After 12:00 midnight call
  703-416-7884.

BWI - BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON AIRPORT:

  Far from downtown DC.

  - No Metro, there is a train station 1 mile from airport, but
      complicated.
  - Supershuttle:  $31 first person, $10 each additional to same
    hotel.
  - Taxi: About $63.

SuperShuttle will stop at many but not all DC hotels.  You can
inquire at http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/dca.htm or
+1 202 296-6662 or 800-258-3826.

Gene Gaines
[email-masked]

--

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:07:07 -0400

>  - No Metro, there is a train station 1 mile from airport, but

I wouldn't call it complicated.  There's a free shuttle bus to the 
train station (at least, there used to be, and I think there still is). 
Take MARC to Union Station in Washington.  (You could also take Amtrak, 
but it would be a lot more expensive.  MARC is the Maryland commuter 
rail service; Amtrak is the U.S. long-haul passenger railroad.)  From 
Union Station, take a cab or the Metro.

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb