Subject: RE: Port numbers and IPv6

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:51:24 -0700

> I'm saying that one source system can generate more than 64K 
> IMAP4 sessions. These are systems running various sorts of 
> proxies, so they are in effect hosting many clients at once.

True, but if we are running IPv6 then surely the solution to this
problem would be to simply request some number of additional IP address
allocations via DHCP?

This is already done in the IPv4 world, it can be done in the IPv6
world.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:44:25 +0200

> This is already done in the IPv4 world, it can be done in the IPv6

More than that: the fact that the interface ID namespace in IPv6 is large
means that virtual IP addresses are available more or less on demand.
I think this is something we really haven't started to exploit yet.

    Brian