Subject: RE: [newtrk] Question about Obsoleted vs. Historic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:01:16 +0300

Henning,

> > No, lack of action by the community to request moving documents to 
> > Historic.
> 
> There seem to be a number of these housekeeping tasks that have almost 
> no benefit to the individual, have increasing costs and ever longer-term 
> commitments and thus, not surprisingly, don't get done on a regular 
> basis. Promotion and demotion of standards are prime examples, reviewing 
> is another.
> 
> Besides appealing to community spirit, other organizations deal with 
> that by deputizing individuals that get recognized for doing this type 
> of work in general, in one way or the other. This can take the "New 
> York's Strongest" (Dept. of Sanitation) or the "XYZ 
> secretary" approach.
> 
> In many cases, people do unpleasant or boring or no-immediate-reward 
> tasks in hope of getting promoted later - this is why I suggested WG 
> secretaries earlier and maybe why having elected IESG secretaries or the 
> IETF Dept. of Public Works ("just leave your old standards at the curb") 
> might be needed.

Have you seen draft-ietf-newtrk-cruft-00?  It proposes something along
these lines.

John

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:25:56 -0400

Yes, this seems pretty close to the IETF DPW. Unfortunately, the draft 
has expired (I saw the report on the experiment, but even that seems 
rather preliminary, in that no actual action to HISTORIC has been 
taken). Is there a plan to act on the recommendation of 
draft-ietf-newtrk-cruft-00 in the foreseeable future?