Subject: RE: Cautionary tale: Paris pickpockets

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:05:42 -0400

On my way into Paris on my last trip on the RER, a two person team got
fairly far into my IETF Novell bag before I noticed anything.  Somehow
they didn't take anything, but I think that's because I felt them and
turned around.  They were gone before you could say "Arret".

Moral: ANY zipper in sight is just an invitation...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
JFC (Jefsey) Morfin
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 7:39 AM
To: [email-masked]; ietf
Subject: Re: Cautionary tale: Paris pickpockets

At 09:57 24/07/2005, Dave Crocker wrote:
>A hidden cache, around your waste but inside the pants, is a good place
to 
>carry tidbits like your passport.  Carry a copy of the major passport 
>pages for easy access and another set back in the hotel room.

When you purchase pants always ask for an internal back pocket to be 
added.You do not need it to be fancy. Put flat stuff there (passport, 
survival and plastic money). Keep a "false/plastic wallet" as a
deception 
in you regular pocket, so they do not think searching further. Dave 
experimented it in Paris, I learned it in NY. The advise is good the
world 
over.
jfc

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:44:12 -0700

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> From personal experience, I prefer the Air France bus line
> 2, which runs every 15 minutes and it will take you
> directly to Porte Maillot where the congress center is.

Most of the time, it's a good bet (due to the rather unique
situation of the IETF conference being held precisely at the
bus terminal).

That being said, having commuted from Paris to CDG airport daily for
years I can assure you that the RER is the most reliable and faster way
(not the nicest).

> Dave Crocker wrote:
> coupled with the realization that *anyone* who is touching you
> in any way that you did not explicitly request needs to be
> treated with immediate suspicion.

Easier said then done, especially during rush hours where the RATP has
guys on the platform to help pack more sardines in the can (by pushing
them inside so the doors close). No bull.

Michel.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:16:13 +0200

Dave is correct; I'd just like to mention that this is nothing specific
to Paris - I've personally had to eject extraneous hands from my pocket
in both London and Geneva - so it's worth a bit of extra care. Also
watch out for people lifting items of luggage - do NOT look away from
your bags even for ten seconds.

    Brian

Dave Crocker wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> There is quite a bit of publicity about pickpockets in Paris, generally, 
> and especially in Metro stations.  In Versailles, they make regular 
> public-address announcements about it.
...