Subject: calendar file for IETF

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:23:16 +0200

For the daring, there is http://www.ofcourseimright.com/~lear/ietf63.ics.

I claim no competence in any of this.  No responsibility if you miss
your meetings.  No promises to update it.  But it works for me.

Eliot

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:27:42 +0100

Thanks.. certainly seems to work with Mozilla Thunderbird.

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:23:26 +0100

Actually to be more precise it works with Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 with the 
calendar plug-in.

Regards,
Elwyn

---

From: Tommy Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:47:26 -0400

Works well with iCal 2.0.2, too.

::: Tom
On Jul 21, 2005, at 7:23 PM, Elwyn Davies wrote:

> Actually to be more precise it works with Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6  
> with the calendar plug-in.
>
> Regards,
> Elwyn
>
> Eliot Lear wrote:
>
>

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:51:23 -0400

Hi Eliot,

> your meetings.  No promises to update it.  But it works for me.

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately it is not a valid iCalendar file as the 
VERSION property is missing. That property is required by the iCalendar 
specification (rfc2445 section 4.6).

To fix this, just add the following line below the 'BEGIN:VCALENDAR' line:

VERSION:2.0

In addition, each VEVENT component needs to have a UID property with a 
unique identifier in each one. Whilst the syntax of section 4.6.1 of 
rfc2446 implies that that parameter is optional, the description for the 
parameter itself (section 4.8.4.7) actually says it MUST be present. The 
Calisfy working group is attempting to fix ambiguities in the spec like 
that, amongst other things.

I did 'fix' my version of the file with suitable changes and was able to 
import it correctly into my client.

Also, I note there is a new updated agenda out that is different from the 
one you posted.

BTW I think it might be worthwhile for the folks working on tools for IETF 
processes to look into having an automatic iCalendar generator for IETF 
agendas as a lot of people now have iCal capable clients that they could 
use to display the agendas. Another case where we should eat our own dog 
food!

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:17:09 +0200

> 
> Thanks for the file. Unfortunately it is not a valid iCalendar file 

Done!
> unique identifier in each one. 

Done!

> Also, I note there is a new updated agenda out that is different from
> the one you posted.

NOT DONE - will work on it tomorrow.

Eliot

> 
> BTW I think it might be worthwhile for the folks working on tools for
> IETF processes to look into having an automatic iCalendar generator for
> IETF agendas as a lot of people now have iCal capable clients that they
> could use to display the agendas. Another case where we should eat our
> own dog food!

AGREE!

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:49:05 +0200

On 2005-07-22 18:51 Cyrus Daboo said the following:
[...]
> use to display the agendas. Another case where we should eat our own dog 

Agreed.  If Elliot will donate his script, I'll arrange for it to be run
automatically as needed, and the result to be accessible from the
http://tools.ietf.org/ website.

	Henrik

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:34:45 +0200

An additional update reflecting yesterdays changes is now available at
http://www.ofcourseimright.com/~lear/ietf63.ics.

Additional stuff:

 - UIDs *should* be stable across changes.
 - An attempt has been made to make proper use of SEQUENCE
 - An attempt has been made to parse out LOCATION information
 - Garbage in/Garbage out problem repaired.
 - Several bad dates have been corrected.

Usual cautions apply.  This calendar file could blow up any tool it is
applied to.  But it didn't blow up iCal, at least.

Eliot

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:38:48 -0400

So, I just had to try it, even though my company insists on MS Exchange for
calendars.  Of course it didn't work, and I never expected it to work.
However, the error message is at least amusing:

  This error can appear if you have attempted to save a recurring 
  Lunar appointment in iCalendar format.
  To avoid this error, set the appointment option to Gregorian instead of
  Lunar.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Eliot Lear
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 4:35 AM
To: Cyrus Daboo; IETF Discussion
Cc: Eliot Lear
Subject: Re: calendar file for IETF

Additional stuff:

Eliot

---

From: John W Noerenberg II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:11:07 -0700

>   To avoid this error, set the appointment option to Gregorian instead of

I ran into the same thing (although not with Eliot's .ics file). 
Outlook is unable to parse the VTIMEZONE object generated by iCal - 
despite the fact it conforms to 2445.  What's alternately amusing and 
horrifying is the VTIMEZONE object's I've seen that Outlook can 
process are pretty goofy.  For one thing the 
Outlook/Exchange-generated VTIMEZONE object uses a start date of Jan 
1, 1601.  This is hilarious.  There are other problems with the 
iCalendar files generated by Microsoft, and with Outlook's attempts 
to read iCalendar files generated by means other than 
Outlook/Exchange.  But this one is so wacky, I can't help but laugh - 
the help message quoted above is a close second.
-- 

john noerenberg
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Statt des törichten Ignorabimus heiße im Gegenteil unsere Lösung:
   Wir müssen wissen, Wir werden wissen.
   -- David Hilbert, "Logic and the Understanding of Nature, Sep 1930
   ----------------------------------------------------------------------