Subject: Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:57:13 +0200

Bob Braden wrote:
>   *> 
>   *> X.400 tried that. So did X.25.
>   *> 
>   *> I think one of the less-appreciated reasons the Internet succeedd was that 
>   *> its unique identifiers were *memorable*.
>   *> 
>   *> 
>   *>                         Harald
>   *> 
>   *> 
> 
> And unlike X.500, the DNS was *conceptually SIMPLE*.

And indeed at the Hawaii IETF (Nerds in Paradise), there was I think one 
of the last gasps of X.400 within this group simply on the basis of what 
got put on a business card.  If memory serves, this was in one of the 
so-called "transition" groups that were politically popular at the time.

Combining these two conversations then...

And I also have to add that having a .signature file with a list of 
viable paths, such as {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!rutgers!lear really is not 
something I want to return to, either!

All of this having been said, various folks have considered doing just 
that several times.  Of note to this group would be PIP, one of the 
candidate IPngs that made use of supposed landmark routing, which if I 
recall correctly never quite got off the ground.  More recently, Dave 
Cheriton and his students made an attempt at something called Triad, 
which had all the makings of pathalias.  This time the idea sank like a 
rock.

Eliot

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:36:17 +0200

I'd like to suggest that people who think they know how
to design an alternative to the DNS should go away and
do so, and come back when they have a proof of concept
to show us. It'll need to be scaleable, secure, robust,
internationalized, and deployable as a retro-fit, as well as
guaranteeing that names are universally unique.

That's the necessary condition for a useful discussion
in the IETF.

    Brian