Subject: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:16:18 -0400

> <entire discussion by smart people deleted for brevity>

Might I suggest all participants in this discussion figure out what you 
really want to use DNS for if you were to assume it didn't exist in the 
first place. Imagine going back in time to 1986 and explaining to 
everyone at the IETF the way things would develop and then, after 
they've stopped laughing, imagine what kind of system would have 
resulted. My personal suspicion is that two things would be very different:

There wouldn't be one monolithic namespace/protocol/system. At least two 
systems would exist: one for hiding IP network layer topology from apps 
and another for describing and naming services for end users.

The system that faced the users would be inherently trademark friendly 
and wouln't be hierarchical. The output of such a system wouldn't be an 
IP address but instead a complex record that described a compound object 
called a 'service'. It might be what people today call "peer to peer" 
(although I have yet to find a good definition of what that means) but 
that might not be an issue since the names wouldn't be hierarchical.

What I find humorous is that this community's default position seems to 
be to attempt to play politics with those who are professionals at it 
rather than solving the problems with technology which is what you'd 
think we're good at....

-MM

/me goes back to building rockets which is much more fun...

-- 
Michael Mealling                  Masten Space Systems, Inc.
VP Business Development                       473 Sapena Ct.
Office: +1-678-581-9656                            Suite 23
Cell: +1-678-640-6884                 Santa Clara, CA 95054
                 http://masten-space.com/

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:27:49 +0530

> For those who do not know the history, are curious, or who might
> find themselves in the position of advising those who are part
> of these discussions, Appendix C to Marshall Rose's _The
> Internet Message: Closing the Book with Electronic Mail_,
> Prentice-Hall, 1993 makes extremely illuminating and
> entertaining reading.   With a dozen year's hindsight, I'd go so
> far as to suggest that Marshall's observations about OSI and the
> process that produced it were too optimistic.

all too true!

/mtr