Subject: Re: Last NomCom 2005/06 Call for Volunteers

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:12:42 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Ralph Droms wrote:
> To date, I've received 71 offers to participate in NomCom 05.  This
> represents less than 10% of the 849 individuals who are eligible to
> participate.  Success of the IETF depends on your participation!  If
> you haven't already volunteered, please do so by e-mailing your name,
> telephone number(s), and e-mail address to [email-masked] no
> later than noon in Boston on September 30, 2005.  Please put "NOMCOM
> VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

I doubt all that many folks have access to a time machine...

That aside, I personally didn't volunteer simply because the workload 
of NomCom appears to be just simply too much given the gains;  weekly 
[long] conference calls; lots of work going through the persons; an 
increased number of positions (13, plus more if there will be 
resignations later on) to fill.

It's not an easy job.  Being able to give input to the IETF leadership 
certainly is VERY important, and having diverse set of people do it 
should be a big plus.  However, it may be worth considering whether 
it's something folks without strong employer backing for getting into 
that specific post can participate in .. and whether that's a good 
sign or not.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:16:11 -0700

> resignations later on) to fill.

While being on NomComm is certainly work, I don't think that it is such as
to require strong employer backing. It basically involved twice weekly
2-hour conference
calls for 1-2 months and a good amount of reading, but not more than 4 hours
a week & probably less. Depending on time of day, the conference calls might
be an issue - or it might just look like a long lunch or a willingness to
get up early.

Alia