Subject: RE: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

From: "Ed Juskevicius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:29:44 -0400

The "ideal" venue (if there is such a thing) would enable both:
- good participation from WG primary contributors AND
- lots of local participation

The second factor is important, imho, because a fraction of local
newbies are going to be impressed by their IETF experience, and will
want to participate again in the future.  The may well become primary
contributors themselves down the road.

Regards,

Ed Juskevicius
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dave Crocker
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 2:09 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

Brian,

> Unfortunately, that won't help us broaden IETF participation to bring 
> in people from countries that currently don't have many participants. 
> On the contrary, it will tend to freeze our participation profile 
> where it is today. On a long term basis, that would not be good for 
> the IETF, IMHO.

Worrying about expanding the diversity of participation in IETF meetings

made quite a lot of sense when the IETF was initially expanding, along 
with global adoption of the Internet's technology.

It is far less clear why that is a significant factor in current venue 
choices. 

Productivity of working groups would seem to be far, far more important.

An implication of this is that a venue which gets lots of local 
participation, but which winds up getting LESS participation among the 
primary contributors to working groups, would be a poor choice.

Statistics about attendance seem to focus on total numbers, rather than 
participation by primary contributors.

d/

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:04:37 -0700

> contributors themselves down the road.

Is that hope for future participation by new attendees an acceptable 
basis for making venue choices that hurt current participation by 
primary contributors? 

What is the evidence that we will not gain that new participation 
without hurting current participation by primary contributors?

d/