Subject: RE: UN plans to take over our job!

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:27:59 +0200

At 23:47 30/09/2005, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>I have had discussions with parties who are fully aware of the 
>difference between ICANN and the IETF and it is clear they want to 
>take over both.

Dear Hallam,
the monolingual/etc. Internet is the adherence to the RFCs supported 
by the IANA and structured by the RIRs IP addresses. The multilingual 
(and probably many other multi aspects) Internet is also the 
"language root" a close limited version of which just finished its 
EISG LC. The control of the langroot is assumed by the 
[email-masked] mailing list.

As for the other "roots" (name and address spaces) the langroot can 
be (de)centrally controlled or distributed. Being only concerned by 
IETF deliverable user QA, I want, for them three, sure, stable, 
secure and innovation oriented distributed solutions. I many times 
explained why, to the dislike of some. For historic reasons this is 
not true for the name and address spaces: this is what the WSIS tries 
to correct.

RFC 3066 Bis organises the centralisation of the langroot. So, it may 
fall under either an MoU between EITF and Unicode (probably leading 
to an internal competition of influence between solution and service 
providers), either the Library of Congress, either UNESCO or possibly 
a surviving ICANN. Due to the European position we eventually 
obtained, a solution like UNESCO would be more likely.

The global management of IANA registries in a WSIS context will 
probably be ISO 11179 compliant (we name it the DRS for "distributed 
registry system"). This will remove a lot of direct involvement to 
IETF in three key areas. It is too early to have a vision of a 
correct IETF position. The first move is obviously an ISO 1179 
compliant langroot, to protect its independance from commercial, 
political and UN interests without a serious open user control. I 
said it was my priority.

jfc

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:35:30 -0400

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 12:27, JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:
> ... the monolingual/etc. Internet is the ...

Huh?  The Internet is already multilingual.  Heck, the message following
yours in my inbox was in a mix of Korean and English.

						- Bill