Subject: Re: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

From: Andrew Daviel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:17:04 -0800 (PST)

(resending this from my subscribed address... duh..)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Bill Fenner wrote:

> If people don't know how to turn off ad-hoc mode, will they know how
> to check their MAC address against the list?

Maybe... I know very well how to check my MAC in my primary OS (Linux)
and (I think) in my secondary OS (Win2k). But setting the ad-hoc mode is
buried in a config file in linux, and I still don't know how to check in
Win2k (no, I haven't been running Win2k, and I can see it says "managed"
in Linux iwconfig so that's OK...)

Might it be possible to run a local webserver that can check its ARP
table against the list - it could even offer customized hints how to fix
the problem. Assuming all the APs are on the same network and there's no
routing at that level.  (Of course if you can't get on you won't see the
list, but if it was also a useful place to find updated agendas, wireless
performance stats etc. so that people would go there, in addition to
running the "display in the foyer", they might see that they had been a
problem earlier).

-- 
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Jasper Bryant-Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:47:10 +1300

> running the "display in the foyer", they might see that they had been a

IIRC, MS didn't disable the Messenger service by default until Windows 
XP. So if the majority of the problem systems are running 2k, you could 
have an automated box that looked for ad-hoc networks and did a "net 
send" to the perpetrator explaining the problem.