Subject: Call Home BoF @ IETF

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:47:18 +0100

After much deliberation and some discussion there will be a Call Home 
BoF at next week's IETF.  Here is the proposed agenda.  If you wish to 
discuss the topic, please feel free to join the mailing list, which is 
[email-masked].  To subscribe follow this URL:

    https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/call-home

Here is the proposed agenda for next week's meeting:

Description:
Certain protocols, and in particular management protocols where
devices on either end of connection take client server roles may
be able to take advantage of "Call Home" functionality, when
traditional roles are reversed, and a server connect to a client.
Examples of existing protocols that make use of call home include
SMTP [ETRN] and COPS.  At this BoF we will look at extending such
functionality into other protocols, as well as any architectural
issues this raises.

This work stems from efforts in ISMS to extend SNMP to run over SSH,
as well as work as work that has gone on in NETCONF.

We will begin with a discussion of 
draft-lear-callhome-description-03.txt , which contains a description of 
call home, what problems it can solve, and what some of the 
architectural issues are.  During the BoF we may identify additional 
such issues as well as protocols other than management protocols that 
could benefit from this work.  An additional potential question should 
be whether a generic standard or process should be used to implement 
call home, such as rules for SSH.

We will also look at other existing work in this space including ICE,
STUN, and generic tunneling approaches.

There are three possible outcomes: a working group to add "call home"
functionality to existing protocols such as SNMP/SSH and NETCONF/SSH,
use of existing working groups for this purpose, or nothing.

Agenda bashing - 1 minute
Applicability, solution methods, examples (Eliot Lear) 15 minutes
Generic Architectural Approaches, ICE, STUN, MIDCOM (Jonathan Rosenberg) 
10 min
General Architectural Approaches to tunneling (Pekka Nikander) 10 min
Application to SNMP and open areas - 10 min
Discussion including architectural issues - 10 minutes
Moving Forward Options  - 5 minutes

(The astute will note we plan to run over by 1 minute).

Eliot

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf