Subject: RE: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:43:11 -0800

> I think we should be very strict on this. All this people should get
> filtered until they go to the NOC and make sure to get trained about
how 
> to avoid ad-hoc !

Unlicensed spectrum, like the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands used by Wi-Fi, can
be used by anybody. If I remember correctly, there was an FCC ruling on
a similar case, where an airport wanted to get airlines to stop using
their own Wi-Fi devices, uncoordinated with the airport. The FCC
essentially ruled that as it is an open band, landlords and other
facility managers can't prevent people from using the waveband. I did
not check the laws of Canada, but in the US at least the IETF cannot
force people to stop using ad hoc. If two participants want to set up an
ad hoc network and exchange data between themselves, there is hardly
anything the NOC can say. They could also use Bluetooth, which operates
in the same band, and again they would not be breaking any regulation.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:53:08 -0800 (PST)

Christian,

This is hardly a matter of FCC regulations or other laws, but rather about
what we can expect from cooperating IETF attendees. Smoking can be
"outlawed" in groups indepently of any local laws that may or may not 
apply.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen 
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Academic Research and Technology Initiatives, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj