Subject: RE: Printing IDs and RFCs (Was: Re: ASCII art)

From: "Yaakov Stein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:17:04 +0200

Henrik

> Anyway, I've added text-to-pdf conversion for all RFCs and IDs under
the URL http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/,
> so you can get pdf- conversions of our various documents.  

<snip>

> Comments welcome.

Well, I have only one comment. This is great!
A simple script written once, saves effort time and again.

My only remaining wish is one that I have regarding the ID listings in
general,
namely that one has to know the updated version number
(in general I start at the last one I remember and start incrementing
until I get one that pops up).

It would be great if I could write 
http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-pwe3-satop
and it would automatically determine that the latest version is 03
and redirect to 
http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-03.pdf

Y(J)S

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:38:00 +1100

>http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-pwe3-satop

true.

You mean something like http://draft-ietf-pwe3-satop.potaroo.net?

Or  maybe you might want something like http://draft-ietf-pwe3.potaroo.net?

Or maybe http://rfc3985.potaroo.net?

>http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-03.pdf

well maybe you should have an intermediate point before heading off into 
pdf-ville

Geoff

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:53:04 +0100

Hi Yaakov,

> http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-03.pdf

Right.  The equivalent functionality is already implemented for the
html-conversion case (http://tools.ietf.org/html/) where you can
do exactly what you describe (except it fails to correctly choose
between draft-ietf-pwe3-satop and draft-ietf-pwe3-satop-mib - this
is a bug I'll have a look at later).

You can try out

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pwe3-tdmoip

or for the plaintext document,

  http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pwe3-tdmoip

and it will do the right thing, and get you the latest version.

I'll add this to the PDF conversion tool too, but I'll try to do it
as a general mechanism, so you won't see it in place tonight.

I'll also add cross-links between the different formats, providing
a link from the html format of a document to the PDF format, but
that's a little bit further down on the TODO list currently.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:00:58 +0100

Hi Geoff,

> At 02:17 AM 30/11/2005, Yaakov Stein wrote:
[...]
> Or maybe http://rfc3985.potaroo.net?

  Right!  I thought you might have PDF for IDs too (or easily be able to
set it up) but couldn't find it when Yaakov first mentioned the printing
problem.

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:35:47 +1100

>set it up) but couldn't find it when Yaakov first mentioned the printing

I have pdf for ids - thats already there. What I haven't done is a generic 
draft
url for txt and pdf

i.e. I haven't done

     http://draft-ietf-pwe3-satop.pdf,potaroo.net

     http://draft-ietf-pwe3-satop.txt,potaroo.net

with the semantics of: "provide me with the pdf (or text) of the most 
recent version of this draft"

-- but I will in a couple of minutes from this posting!

    Geoff