Subject: Re: Individual submissions and Informational RFCs

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:36:33 -0800 (PST)

John Klensin wrote:

  *> 
  *> This is because many (I don't have statistics, but they could be
  *> pulled out if needed) individual (or "independent" -- there is a
  *> subtle difference that I can't keep straight) go directly to the
  *> RFC Editor for publication.

There are two classes of RFCs: IETF submissions and RFC Editor submissions.

   o  IETF submissions may be from working groups, or they may be
     "individual", diretly through the IESG.  In either case, an IETF
      submission may be standards track or not.

   o  An RFC Editor or "independent" submission goes directly to the
      RFC Editor. It may NOT be standards track.

It's really not hard, but immense confusion occurs unless we keep
the terminology consistent.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf