Subject: REOPENENED Call for Nominations, NomCom05

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:38:43 -0500

NomCom05 has decided to reopen the call for nominations for the IESG
Operations and Management (OAM) Area Director position. While we have a
list of well-qualified candidates, to ensure we have exercised due
diligence in the selection of the OAM Area Director we will accept
additional nominations until 5PM EST on December 23, 2005. Information
about the requirements for the OAM Area Director position are attached
to this call for nominations..

Note that self-nominations are accepted and encouraged!

Please send nominations, including the nominee's name, contact
information and nominated position to [email-masked].

- Ralph Droms
Chair, NomCom05

+++

Under the Nominations Committee procedures defined in RFC 3777,
the IESG is responsible for providing a summary of the expertise
desired of the candidates selected for open IESG positions. This
information is included below, and is suitable for publication
to the community, along with the Nomination Committee's request for
nominations.

We realize that this is a long list of demanding qualifications, and
that no one person will be able meet all of the requirements for a
specific position. We trust that the NomCom will weigh all of these
qualifications and choose IESG members who represent the best possible
balance of these qualifications.

Generic Requirements:

IESG members are the managers of the IETF standards process. This
means that they must understand the way the IETF works, be good at
working with other people, be able to inspire and encourage other
people to work together on a volunteer basis, and have sound technical
judgment about IETF technology and its relationship to technology
developed elsewhere.

ADs select and directly manage the WG chairs, so IESG members should
possess sufficient interpersonal and management skills to manage
~15-30 part-time people. Most ADs are also responsible for one or
more directorates or review teams. So the ability to identify good
leaders and technical experts and recruit them for IETF work is
required. Having been a WG chair helps in understanding the WG chair
role, and will help in resolving problems and issues that a WG chair
may have.

In addition, all IESG members should have strong technical expertise
that crosses two or three IETF areas. Ideally, an IESG member would
have made significant technical contributions in more than one IETF
area, preferably authoring documents and/or chairing WGs in more than
one area.

IESG members are expected to make sure that every document coming
before the IESG is properly reviewed. Although IESG members may
delegate the actual review to individuals or review teams, the IESG
members will need to understand and represent the reviewers'
objections or comments. So the ability and willingness to read and
understand complex information quickly is another important attribute
in an IESG member. (Note that this does not mean that every AD
must review every draft personally - but they must be satisfied
that adequate review has taken place.)

It is helpful for an IESG member to have a good working knowledge of
the IETF document process and WG creation and chartering process.
This knowledge is most likely to be found in experienced IETF WG
chairs, but may also be found in authors of multiple documents.

IESG members must also have strong verbal and written communications
skills and a proven track record of leading and contributing to the
consensus of diverse groups.

A few comments on the IESG role:

Serving on the IESG requires a substantial time commitment. The basic
IESG activities consume between 25 and 40 hours per week (varying by
area and by month, with the most time required immediately before IETF
meetings). Most IESG members also participate in additional IETF
leadership activities, further increasing the time commitment for
those individuals. Even if they do not occupy formal liaison
positions, ADs may also need to interact with external bodies such
as other standards organizations, which may require travel. It is
also imperative that IESG members attend all IETF meetings and up
to two additional IESG retreats per year.

Because of the large time and travel commitments, employer support for
a full two year stint is essential for an IESG member. Because of
personal impact including awkwardly timed conference calls, an IESG
member's family must also be supportive.

-----------------------------------------------
Operations & Management Area:

The primary technical areas covered by the Operations & Management
area include: Network Management, AAA, and various operational
issues facing the Internet such as DNS operations, IPv6 operations,
Routing operations.

Unlike most IETF areas, the Operations & Management area is logically
divided into two separate functions: Network Management and Operations.
Bert Wijnen is responsible for the Network Management portion
of the OPS area, so specific expertise required for the 2005 open
position would include a strong understanding of Internet management,
including but not limited to SNMP, SMI and Netconf.

The Network Management AD is largely responsible for development and
direction of Network Management protocols like SNMP, SMI, NetConf,
CAPWAP etc.

Another important role of the Network Management AD is to identify
potential or actual management issues regarding IETF protocols and
documents in all areas, and to work with the other areas to resolve those
issues. This requires a strong understanding of how new and updated
protocols may be monitored and configured. It also requires a strong
cross-area understanding of IETF protocol architecture and technologies.

The Network Management portion of the OPS area intersects with all
areas, specifically in reviewing and assisting with MIB documents.
Thus, cross-area expertise in any area would be useful. Security of
network management is a particularly current topic.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf