Subject: Final Update - IETF Trust Consensus Call

From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:56:45 -0800 (PST)

All -

The amended language for Section 9.5 (Licensing) of the IETF Trust was
posted to the IETF lists on December 1st and the IETF Trust FAQ has
been updated to reflect the new text (see below). We have also added
additional details on the handling of historical data. As we develop
procedures for the transfer of assets into the IETF Trust and an
inventory of items held by the IETF Trust we will publish them to the
IAOC web site (see: http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/)

Several people asked for additional time to review our final language,
and with that in mind, I would like to extend this Call one last
time to December 8th, 2005.

Please send comments to: [email-masked] or iaoc.ietf.org

- Thanks

Lucy E. Lynch                           Academic User Services
Computing Center                        University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu           (541) 346-1774

FAQ Updates:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
18. How will the license provisions in Section 9.5 affect the contents
of Standards related documents like RFCs and Internet Drafts.

The IETF IPR rules in force when such documents were published still
apply and Section 9.5 has been updated to reflect community concerns
about the effect of licensing terms. The new text reads:

"9.5 Licenses.

The Trust (acting through the Trustees) shall have the right to grant
licenses for the use of the Trust Assets on such terms, subject to
Section 7.1, as the Trustees deem appropriate; provided, however, that
the Trust shall not grant any license that would be deemed a transfer
of ownership or abandonment of any Trust Assets under applicable law.
Specifically, any license granted by the Trust for the use of the
Trust Assets consisting of IPR other than rights in IETF
standards-related documents (such as RFCs, Internet Drafts and the
like) that have been acquired by the Trust through non-exclusive
licenses granted by their contributors pursuant to the IETF
community-approved procedures currently set forth in RFC 3978, and any
community-approved updates and revisions thereto, shall include
provisions stating that (a) the licensee agrees to grant and assign to
the Trust all right, title, and interest it may have or claim in any
derivative works of licensee that are based on or incorporate the IPR,
and (b) the licensee's use of the IPR and any goodwill associated
therewith shall inure to the benefit of the Trust."

19. Which of the assets listed in Schedule A will be transferred when
the IETF Trust is established? Will the Trustees publish an accounting
of these assets?

All of the Marks, Domain Names, and Current Data listed in Schedule A
will be transferred at closing. In addition, Historical Data that is
currently available from available from the servers currently operated
by or for the IETF Secretariat (i.e. data available on spinning disk)
will also be transferred at closing. The Trustees will inventory all
assets and provide a full accounting to the IETF community. Historical
data which is currently in-accessible will be subject to the
conditions outlined in sub-sections b-g. When and if additional data
becomes available, those assets will transfer to the IETF Trust and
will be added to the inventory.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:54:16 +0100

Lucy,

notwithstanding the fact that the new language for section 9.5 has been 
incorporated only in the FAQ and not in the Trust document on the website...

I believe that entering into the trust agreement, with the amended section 
9.5, and the clarification of "historical data" given in the FAQ, is an 
action that is in the best interest of the IETF at this time, given the 
information I have on the subject.

Good luck!

                     Harald Alvestrand

---

From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:54:30 -0800 (PST)

> incorporated only in the FAQ and not in the Trust document on the website...

It will also be in the final IETF Trust doc - but as we move toward
closing I'm having a hard time keeping up with the flow of documents.

Will try to get a "fair copy" up today - and thanks!

- lel