Subject: RE: Announcement: Notifications List

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:56:00 -0500

I believe in the end-to-end principle, rather than the "network knows
best" principle.

If someone is interested in a topic, they can subscribe to the topic.

If they are interested in everything, they can subscribe to everything.

If that are not interested in something, they can chose to not subscribe
to the topic.

Why force someone to listen to the whole
messaging/applications/rai/weather/snmp/smtp/ldap/foobar discussion if
all they are interested in is the limited topic of notifications?  More
especially so since one CAN chose to get everything?  Most especially so
since one MAY search the entire archives rather easily?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Keith Moore
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 12:36 PM
To: Burger, Eric
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: [lemonade] Re: Announcement: Notifications List

Burger, Eric wrote:
> In Vancouver in the lemonade work group meeting a number of people
> expressed interest in the creation of a list dedicated to the
discussion
> of user notification technology.
> 
> This list is for discussions relating to the requirements, definition,
> and directions for message notifications.
> 
> While many requirements are driven by lemonade, there is a broader
> community with interest and expertise that we hope will contribute to
> the discussion here.
> 
> Please keep discussions that relate to lemonade, smtp, simple, etc. on
> their respective lists.

Please do not impose this constraint.  There is already far too much 
tendency for narrowly-focused groups to work in isolation and to ignore 
useful input from parties whose interests are peripheral to the group 
but affected by the group's output.  This in turn causes groups to get 
strong pushback at Last Call which could have been avoided had the group

not isolated itself.

> Please keep cross-posting to a minimum.  Cross-posting to a number of
> lists will put your message into the spam bucket and will delay or
deny
> your message being posted.

If the list manager is going to impose restrictions such as this, it 
would be better if such discussion happened elsewhere than on this list.

Keith

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:25:59 -0500

> all they are interested in is the limited topic of notifications? 

I have no problems with insisting that posts to the list be in some way
about notifications, or about how a proposed notification mechanism
will affect a particular protocol.  But I have a lot of problems with
excluding discussions about notifications that "relate to lemonade,
smtp, simple, etc." because any of these might have bearing on the
group's work.  And sometimes, those discussions might need to be
cross-posted to other groups.

Keith