Subject: Re: Normative figures

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:51:15 -0800 (PST)

*> 
  *> Normative figures perhaps.  Normative equations definitely.

Scott,

How about Sections 4.2.3.3 and 4.2.3.4 of RFC 1122 (1889), for examples
of readable equations in ASCII?  I my experience, normative protocol
technical specifications rarely need equations much more complex than
these examples.  The only significant exception I can think of is the
NTP spec.

People who REALLY use equations generally prefer LaTeX.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:21:32 +0000

>People who REALLY use equations generally prefer LaTeX.
The draft has expired so I need to point to an external version. This draft
which is looking at the properties of a routing network under conditions of
failure would have been much clearer if it could have used mathematical
notation rather than ASCIIised equations

http://www.faqs.org/ftp/pub/internet-drafts/draft-atlas-ip-local-protect-uturn-02.txt

Of course the diagrams could have also been clearer, as is seen by
comparing them to the ones that Alia used in her presentatons on the
subject.

- Stewart

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:58:01 +0100

> these examples.  The only significant exception I can think of is the

RFC 3247 is quite tricky too.

> People who REALLY use equations generally prefer LaTeX.

Yes, and if the equations are informative that's fine; they can publish
where they want to. But we have a genuine issue when equations
are both normative and complicated.

     Brian