Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hartman-mailinglist-experiment-00.txt

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:51:08 -0500

This experiment is a good idea.

Joel M. Halpern

At 06:50 PM 1/24/2006, you wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : Experimental Procedure for  LongTerm 
> Suspensions from Mailing Lists
>         Author(s)       : S. Hartman
>         Filename        : draft-hartman-mailinglist-experiment-00.txt
>         Pages           : 8
>         Date            : 2006-1-24
>
>    Discussion in the community has begun to question whether RFC 3683
>    and RFC 3934 provide the appropriate flexibility for managing IETF
>    mailing lists.  This document is an RFC 3933  experiment designed to
>    allow the community to experiment with a broader set of tools for
>    mailing list management while trying to determine what the long-term
>    guidelines should be.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hartman-mailinglist-experiment-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:03:48 -0600

I agree. One question...

As best I can see, the proposed experiment is silent on whether suspension 
from one list has any effect on suspension from other lists, so I'm assuming 
this aspect of RFC 3683 still applies?

(Text is something like "maintainers of any IETF mailing list may, at their 
discretion, also remove posting rights to that IETF mailing list" for a 
period of time not to exceed the remaining period of the suspension from any 
other IETF list?)

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:10:31 -0500

As I read the description of the experiment, when the IESG decides on the 
appropriate response to a specific case, they can decide whether that 
response is a single-list response or a multi-list response.

Yours,
Joel

At 07:03 PM 1/26/2006, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>from one list has any effect on suspension from other lists, so I'm 
>assuming this aspect of RFC 3683 still applies?
>
>(Text is something like "maintainers of any IETF mailing list may, at 
>their discretion, also remove posting rights to that IETF mailing list" 
>for a period of time not to exceed the remaining period of the suspension 
>from any other IETF list?)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Spencer
>
>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:57:56 -0500

>>>>> "Joel" == Joel M Halpern <[email-masked]> writes:

    Joel> As I read the description of the experiment, when the IESG
    Joel> decides on the appropriate response to a specific case, they
    Joel> can decide whether that response is a single-list response
    Joel> or a multi-list response.

That was my intent.
Note there are roughly three responses:

1) Ban from list foo

2) Ban from list foo and bar but no others

3) Ban from list foo, and bar; lists in the set baz can also ban without iesg involvement.

I'd be happy to drop 3 as an option for this experiment if there is
community support.  I'd also be happy to keep 3 as an option.