Subject: RE: Normative figures

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:58:34 -0500

Stewart Bryant writes...

> If linearised formulas were a good idea mathematicians would use them
:)
> Translation to ASCII representation should surely be the final step in
> implementation not something imposed during the understanding and
> description phase.

If symbolic formulas were useful in protocol implementations, then
programming languages like C or C++ would accept them. IMHO, if it's
good enough for the implementation, it's good enough for the
specification.

Academic and scholarly articles often make extensive use of symbolic
mathematical expressions, because that's the language of mathematics,
and the accepted format for those publications.  I would not like to see
these formats used in protocol specifications, as a general rule.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:45:17 +0100

How about a new mailing list or some such?!

Eliot