Subject: Re: draft-IAB-rfc-editor-00: IAB Charter and IAB

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

*> 
  *> 
  *> I also understand there is a long recorded history of interactions
  *> with the RFC editor.  (There is an even longer oral tradition, but I
  *> trust that we all see the undesirability of making governance
  *> decisions about a million dollar/year organization based on oral
  *> tradition.)  We need to respect that history.  We also need to realize
  *> that one of the explicit goals of the adminrest process is to
  *> formalize and clarify relationships and avoid the need for us to
  *> consult this history to find out how things work.  Quoting section
  *> 3.1.3 of RFC 3716:
  *> 
  *> 
  *>      However, the very clear requirement is for clarity in the
  *>         distribution of rights, responsibilities, and accountability
  *>         in those relationships.  The usual mechanism for documenting
  *>         such clarity is in contract form.  Thus, the IETF needs to
  *>         have clear contractual relationships with the organizations
  *>         supporting basic services, including meeting organization,
  *>         secretarial services, IT services, etc.
  *> 

Sam,

I find it curious that you chose to quote the second paragraph 
 of section 3.1.3, without quoting the first paragraph:

   While the IETF needs to be able to manage its revenue streams against
   its expense expectations, it also needs to respect the needs of
   supporting organizations to manage their own affairs.  That is, the
   text above does not suggest that the IETF should micro-manage the
   financial affairs of supporting organizations.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:54:14 -0400

>>>>> "Bob" == Bob Braden <[email-masked]> writes:

    Bob>    While the IETF needs to be able to manage its revenue
    Bob> streams against its expense expectations, it also needs to
    Bob> respect the needs of supporting organizations to manage their
    Bob> own affairs.  That is, the text above does not suggest that
    Bob> the IETF should micro-manage the financial affairs of
    Bob> supporting organizations.

I don't think anyone here is proposing such micro management.  Do you
believe there are such concerns with the draft-iab-rfc-editor either
as it exists today or after the problems I am concerned about are
fixed?  If so, then by all means point them out.