Subject: RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call:'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCIIText' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

From: "Carroll, Diana C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:46:12 -0700

[YJS] My experience has been quite different.

I work, on a daily basis, with many extremely complex Word documents
each of which is handled by many different people (often with
conflicting aims).
These documents often go through dozens of revisions.

And although (as mentioned often before) I am no great fan of Word,
I have never seen S/N problems of the type you mention.

I suspect that your co-authors are really fooling around way too much
with presentation aspects rather than content.
Next time agree on a ground rule that first the ideas should be
gotten right, and leave the pretty-printing for the final round.
Not only does this make sense and save everyones time, 
it will probably eliminate your S/N problem. 

Y(J)S

Another apporach that works well is to create an agreed-upon template at
the start of the project that is used for the duration.  This also
provides consistency throughout the documentation, and takes out the S/N
error problems.  Both OpenOffice and Word make it very easy to create
and save a template.  Any formatting that is needed beyond what's
provided in the template is saved for the final draft.

Diana

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf