Subject: RE: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:36:18 -0400

I'd like to second this. The adjacent IETF and IEEE 802 meeting in
Vancouver in November 2005 was quite convenient and cost saving for me.
As long as they are adjacent in time and on the same continent, there
are savings. It is much better if they are in the same city. And, I
suspect, if things could be coordinated enough that they were in the
same facilities for two weeks, which certainly wouldn't always be
possible, then better hotel room rates and better costs per meeting day
for network connectivity, A/V equipment, etc. could be negotiated.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Eggert [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 5:15 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Last Call: Proposed 2008 - 2010 IETF Meeting Calendar

On May 22, 2006, at 21:42, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> FWIW - if this is the case, this policy is in the disadvantage of the 
> participants coming from out of North America for both IEEE and IETF 
> meetings. We shall be obliged to do two trips instead of one which 
> doubles airfare costs and requires from us to at least one 
> supplemental weekend on the road. Having the IEEE and IETF meetings 
> scheduled in consecutive weeks is more convenient.

Let me second this - different meetings on adjacent dates are good
*if* they are geographically close and thus eliminate or reduce travel.

And this in independent of which country you are based in - adjacent
meetings in, say, Europe, reduce travel for North Americans, too.

(I do realize that this complicates the scheduling algorithm though.)

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf