Subject: RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Propose d Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

From: "Gray, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:03:32 -0400

Ned,

	What would be useful - in even more than this context -
would be if there was a peer-level directory where source for
all RFCs would be kept adjacent to the RFCs derived from them.

	In addition to giving us some concrete evidence of how
many RFCs use each source format, it would greatly simplify 
the process of writing new drafts...

--
Eric

--[SNIP]--

--> The thing I'd like to have that isn't already there is a way to get
--> the xml2rfc sources the RFC editor used back for comparison purposes.
--> 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:09:30 -0700 (PDT)

> all RFCs would be kept adjacent to the RFCs derived from them.

Quite true. But as long as the RFC Editor finds it necessary to use a
multi-stage process to produce RFCs with hand tweaking of the output at
different stages, I doubt that they will be willing to do this because the
input document will not in fact reproduce what's in the RFC. This is why tool
improvement to eliminate the need for hand tweaking is so important. But
in the meantime, I would hope the RFC Editor would be willing to hand back
the xml2rfc source to the author. It's a stopgap, but a useful stopgap.

I don't know what needs to be done to make xml2rfc better, but I sure wish the
RFC Editor would spend whatever time it takes with the folks who work on
xml2rfc to accomplish this.

> the process of writing new drafts...

Sure - a central repository makes it easy for anyone to come along and produce
a document revision. Depending on authors preserving input sources is not
nearly as flexible.

				Ned

---

From: "Bill Fenner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:17:01 -0400

> xml2rfc to accomplish this.

Note that the next release will contain several features/changes that
the RFC Editor asked for based on their experiences trying to use it
for final document production.  There are still some requests
outstanding, since some of them would be quite difficult to implement
and some were bug reports that nobody could replicate, but progress is
definitely being made on this front.

  Bill