Subject: Re: draft-IAB-rfc-editor-00: IAB Charter and IAB

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:29:44 -0700 (PDT)

*> 
  *> >>>>> "Bob" == Bob Braden <[email-masked]> writes:
  *> 
  *> 
  *>     Bob>    While the IETF needs to be able to manage its revenue
  *>     Bob> streams against its expense expectations, it also needs to
  *>     Bob> respect the needs of supporting organizations to manage their
  *>     Bob> own affairs.  That is, the text above does not suggest that
  *>     Bob> the IETF should micro-manage the financial affairs of
  *>     Bob> supporting organizations.
  *> 
  *> I don't think anyone here is proposing such micro management.  Do you
  *> believe there are such concerns with the draft-iab-rfc-editor either
  *> as it exists today or after the problems I am concerned about are
  *> fixed?  If so, then by all means point them out.
  *> 
  *> 

Sam,

I must confess that I did not quite understand your concerns (my
fault, I am sure).  Some discussions of the IETF administrative
functions have bordered on micro-management, I believe, but I did
not intend to suggest that you are doing so.  I am always very
wary of quotes out of context, particularly when the
original text was carefully balanced between two opposing poles
but the quoted paragraph supports only one pole.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:00:03 -0400

>>>>> "Bob" == Bob Braden <[email-masked]> writes:

    Bob> I must confess that I did not quite understand your concerns
    Bob> (my fault, I am sure).  Some discussions of the IETF
    Bob> administrative functions have bordered on micro-management, I
    Bob> believe, but I did not intend to suggest that you are doing
    Bob> so.  I am always very wary of quotes out of context,
    Bob> particularly when the original text was carefully balanced
    Bob> between two opposing poles but the quoted paragraph supports
    Bob> only one pole.

Ah, I see.  I view the first paragraph as focused on financial
independence and the second paragraph as focused on governance.  I
didn't seem them as balanced--more as related but addressing different
aspects.  Now, however I do see that there is a balance present and
perhaps I should have included both.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:40:11 +0200

BTW, the IASA has formulated its approach to this balance:
http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/docs/IASA-Tao.pdf
and it certainly doesn't include micro-managing the budget.

    Brian