Subject: Objection to publishing draft-ash-alt-formats-02.pdf as a 3933 Experiment

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:53:07 +0200

I hereby formally add my voice to the list of people who think that 
draft-ash-alt-formats should not be published in its present form as the 
basis for an RFC 3933 experiment.

I would change this opinion if:

- The description of the evaluation of the experiment was extended to 
include:
   - Ability of people with a variety of different PDF readers to 
display the document (including Frank's OS/2 viewer!)
   - Ability of people with disabilities (blind, visually handicapped) 
to understand the document
   - Ability of people to excerpt from the document

- The security section of the document were extended to describe the 
security issues surrounding PDF, including executable embedding, and 
possible countermeasures

- The document admitted itself as one of the three documents to be 
processed under its own exception

Other people have raised other points that probably should be addressed. 
These are mine.

I think the idea of running an experiment, and, if necesary, sacrificing 
the long-time retrievability of the two RFCs on the altar of the great 
god Progress, is a good idea.

But I think the document is not ready for publication in this version.

                              Harald

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf