Subject: Re: FW: Last Call: draft-heard-rfc4181-update (RFC 4181 Update to Recognize the IETF Trust) to BCP

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:00:26 +0100

C. M. Heard wrote:

> The draft is intended to do the same thing for RFC 4181
> that RFC 4748 did for RFC 3978.  Comments, if any, should
> be directed to <[email-masked]>.

Now that you ask, your patches are straight forward, so why
not simply apply them and publish a complete new 4181bis ?

Patchwork RFCs are IMO ugly.  RFC 4748 was a special case,
it was urgent, there was a competing 3978bis draft, and the
IPR WG intends to update RFC 3978 anyway, soon.

A somewhat radical proposal:  If your patch is approved you
could transform it into a complete 4181bis in AUTH48, and
let that obsolete 4181.  Or is the 4181 situation exacly as
for 4748 + 3978 ?

Your patch might be incomplete, chapter 3.7, appendix A, and
the normative references mention 3978 instead of 3978 + 4748.
Especially appendix A point 7 should now point to RFC 4748.

IIRC RFC 3979 was also patched recently, but apparently it's
still waiting for its RFC number, or I confuse some patches.

It's tempting to use this trick, I considered a simple patch
for an obscure detail in RFC 4409 8.1.  But for readers (or
for authors trying to get their references right) it's ugly.

Frank

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:53:43 -0800 (PST)

> let that obsolete 4181.  Or is the 4181 situation exacly as

The situation for RFC 4181 is like this:  new copyright language 
will be required in IETF MIB documents as of the beginning of
next month, so we need to get an update out ASAP.  The original
plan was to issue a complete 4181bis, but the person who has
volunteered to take over the editing duties is busy with other
things, so I proposed the patch as an interim solution.  (Note
that we don't have xml source for this document, so the first
job for the new editor is creating it ... not a trivial task.)
My hope and expectation is that there will be a complete 4181bis
in the not too distant future.

> Especially appendix A point 7 should now point to RFC 4748.

That's something that I hoped could wait for a complete 4181bis.

//cmh