Subject: IANA web site

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:17:11 -0800 (PST)

It has been called to our attention that many people (including W3C!)
are using the obsolete (and undefined) URL:

     ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets

If you go to ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/README,
you will find:

   "At one time the RFC Editor and the IANA were one person, Jon Postel,
   so IANA registration information was maintained in this directory.
   The IANA is now a separate organization, and its databases may be
   found at http://www.iana.org."

(In addition, note that the given URL is just that; the corresponding
URI, which SHOULD be used RFC-related files on the RFC Editor web
site, would be ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/...)

Is there some way to fix this?  The IETF has committed itself to the
URL/URI system for digital indexing, so how do we make this work?

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf