Subject: Meeting the "requirements" of a BCP

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:03:12 -0700

Sam,

You said the following on BCPs on the EMU list recently.  (The context 
is irrelevant, I think, but please feel free to bring in the context if 
you deem it necessary.)

"I'd like to understand whether we can meet all the requirements of that 
BCP "

For some reason that sounded odd to me, specifically I wondered what in 
the words "best" "current" "practice" resonates with "requirements."  So 
I went and read 2026 and the operative word there is "guidelines."  So, 
I am curious about why you think BCPs can state requirements that other 
RFCs should try to meet.

The best I can come up with is that a BCP can record the then IETF 
consensus on a particular procedure or mode of operation.  Further, the 
BCP process is to be used as "an outlet to propose ideas to stimulate 
work" or "raise the community's sensitivity to a certain issue" and so 
on.  But it doesn't appear that these things can be hard and fast 
requirements.

I am probably misunderstanding the notion of BCPs and welcome education 
:).  Thanks.

regards,
Lakshminath

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf