Subject: Re: History of autoconfig RFCs and siblings, please?

From: [email-masked] (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:43:14 +0900 (JST)

(sorry if it gets a duplicate)

> I'm inclined to believe that dual-stack provider networks are going to
> be relatively rare, and may not exist at all. I think it'll either be

	WIDE (AS2500) and two of the major ISPs which deploy IPv6 are running
	dual-stack.  i bet others too (Verio, Internet2, anyone?)
	it is not economical to run two separate physical link across the
	pacific ocean.

itojun

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:37:57 +1000

> 	it is not economical to run two separate physical link across the

	HE is according to their web pages.
 
> itojun
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 03:51:24 +0200

> 	it is not economical to run two separate physical link across the

At least pretty much all the academic networks I know are dual-stack,
pretty big networks too, and this happened years ago.

Several years ago the operator I work for also did that. We run IS-IS
which handles both protocols with just one routing instance which is
nice. The only problem we have is that it is hard to know exactly how
much and what IPv6 traffic passes through the core. E.g. even though
the routers are Netflow v9 capable, the hardware is not capable of
creating IPv6 flow info.

Stig