Subject: Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:32:33 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>

    > Well lot's of people still think things like "why would home users ever
    > subnet" ...
    > At some point you stop wanting to have all those devices on the same
    > network if for no other reason than to keep your multicast HD video
    > streams from clobbering your ip phones

Umm, perhaps I'm confused here, but I thought bog-standard Ethernet bridges
did destination-based filtering (i.e. they don't forward a packet to
destination D through to interface X if it has been heard from on interface Y,
meaning it's in the Y direction). I.e. they don't flood traffic to all
connected segments, only send it towards the actual pdestination.

In other words, a mesh of standard Ethernet bridges already allows you to
partition traffic between the segments, without the need to do configuration
of routers. (Yes, you do have to arrange the connectivity so that voice
traffic doesn't have to go over the HD video network to get to the site exit
router, but that's true whether the devices in question are bridges or
routers.)

And if that's true, then a /64 would be fine for the average home user. Am I
missing something?

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:05:07 +0100

> In other words, a mesh of standard Ethernet bridges already 
> allows you to partition traffic between the segments, without 
> the need to do configuration of routers. (Yes, you do have to 
> arrange the connectivity so that voice traffic doesn't have 
> to go over the HD video network to get to the site exit 
> And if that's true, then a /64 would be fine for the average 
> home user. Am I missing something?

The IETF designs protocols, it does not specify what products people
MUST buy. Many home users currently buy IPv4 routers, not bridges, and
there is no reason to believe that this will change with IPv6. In
addition, a lot of home users set up Linux/BSD/Windows to act as routers
in their home network.

The reason for a /48 everywhere is so that nobody needs to dig into such
dirty details and fine tune who gets how many addresses in which
situation.

--Michael Dillon