Subject: What about IPv6 + manual IPv4?

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:11:53 +0100

I think the IPv4 outage experiment will be extremely useful.

An issue is that you can't do much in 30 or 60 minutes but the  
pushback against taking IPv4 away for that long is already  
significant, doing it for longer than that is probably not realistic.  
Another approach:

We don't actually turn off IPv4, but just the DHCP servers. So anyone  
who needs IPv4 can get an IPv4 address and configure it manually. If  
you do this in advance of the outage, you will be able to stay  
connected to the IPv4 internet without trouble. But inertia will still  
be on the side of IPv6 in this case.

I think this way we can probably turn off IPv4 autoconfiguration at  
the beginning of the thursday plennary and not turn it back on again.  
Anyone who's had enough of living on an IPv6-only network can obtain  
an IPv4 address (preferably from an IPv6-only website or in person)  
and reconnect to the IPv4 world at his or her (in)convenience.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 16:42:59 +0100

> We don't actually turn off IPv4, but just the DHCP servers. So  
> anyone who needs IPv4 can get an IPv4 address and configure it  
> manually.

This reminds me of RFC2322....

--Olaf