Subject: Re: Incentives for using v6 (was Re: IPv4 Outage Planned...)

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:19:08 +0100

> The key question therefore is this: Are we able to influence the
 > majority of the large ISPs to do something like that?

As far as i see it, there are two ways to get ISPs to adopt a new 
technology:

a) it saves them substantial amounts of money
b) it provides something that users crave for

Sadly enough, i don't see how IPv6 fulfills either a) or b) before IPv4 
addresses get so expensive that migration provides a), or that they 
start NATing DSL accounts as well, so the only way to get a public IP 
(which would be "b") is to use v6. Only a small minority of ISPs 
"believes" in technology so that offer it just because it's cool - 99% 
of them exist to make as much money as possible.

 From the user's perspective, 99.999% of them don't care about the 
protocol as long as web pages load, their chat clients can sign in, 
email is delivered, and their p2p software works. Ask your GF/BF. Or 
your mother.

Last but not least, there's that joke that changing "certain" web pages 
in a way so that  thumbnailed pics are available on IPv4, but for the 
full glory you have to use IPv6 would be a killer app :-)

cheers

Alex

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf