Subject: Audio streaming server challenges tuesday afternoon.

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:24:46 -0800

It turns our that the server configuration on the primary audio server
wasn't quite adequate to support the client resource demands on Tuesday
the 4th... At some point the i/o wait queue would get too deep and it
would start dumping encoders.

I have made some changes that should alleviate the pressure.
unfortunately it meant inducing an additional outage. the recordings
should not be affected but the afternoon listening situation has been
challenging.

If you continue to experience issues please do not hesitate to contact
me, and I appreciate your forbearance.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 02:54:00 +0100

In both sessions in the afternoon that I attended (ipfix, opsawg) people
who were on jabber and listening to audio streams complained about
repeated interruptions in the audio feed. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joel Jaeggli [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:25 AM
> To: IETF Discussion
> Subject: Audio streaming server challenges tuesday afternoon.
> 
> It turns our that the server configuration on the primary 
> audio server wasn't quite adequate to support the client 
> resource demands on Tuesday the 4th... At some point the i/o 
> wait queue would get too deep and it would start dumping encoders.
> 
> unfortunately it meant inducing an additional outage. the 
> recordings should not be affected but the afternoon listening 
> situation has been challenging.
> 
> If you continue to experience issues please do not hesitate 
> to contact me, and I appreciate your forbearance.
>

---

From: "David B. Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:34:54 -0500

Are we a victim of our own success here, i.e. is wider usage causing the
server overload?

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:49:18 -0800 (PST)

> me, and I appreciate your forbearance.

That's really too bad because the audio quality on Monday was *excellent*.

				Ned

---

From: "David B. Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:33:47 -0500

This is still a problem.  Please turn off whatever logging or debugging is
causing the servers to drop connections, and refuse to accept reconnects

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:54:01 -0800

> causing the servers to drop connections, and refuse to accept reconnects 

It's not that it refuses to accept your connection, it's that it has
nothing to serve. one-through three stayed up through the last blip...
but it took 3 hours and 10 minutes between my last change and the outage.

I will be adjusting the playlists momentarily so if you grab the now
ones after lunch it will probably result in more reliable behavior.