Subject: Disappointing to not have plenary slides online for remote participants...

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:55:01 -0400

Being a remote participant (for the first time) at this IETF 72  
meeting, I have to say that my main disappointment was that some or  
all of the slides for the two plenary sessions were not available at  
the time of the plenary.

In the Wednesday Plenary, only two of the 4 IPv6 presentations were  
available. The ARIN presentation, in particular, had a number of  
charts that made it rather useless to be listening to the audio as we  
had no clue what was being discussed.  The two missing presentations  
were later uploaded, but they were not available when they were being  
discussed.

In the Thursday Plenary, *none* of the presentations were available  
outside of the one-slide agenda and the Note Well. This left those of  
us listening to the audio (and in the Jabber room) without much  
context for what was being said.

I applaud the efforts the IETF makes to allow for remote  
participation.  At IETF 72, the audio streams generally worked very  
well with only a few minor glitches on the ones I listened to.  In  
contrast to IETF 71, the Jabber server worked great with no outages  
that I saw. The groups I attended all had good Jabber scribes.  Most  
all of the working groups had their slides up in time for the sessions  
(some did this better than others, getting them up sometimes a day in  
advance). While obviously not as good as actually being there in  
person, the remote participation experience was pretty decent.

My only major disappointment as a remote participant was really that I  
didn't have some or all of the slides and therefore the context for  
the audio of the plenary sessions.

My 2 cents,
Dan

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:50:56 +0100

On Jul 31, 2008, at 5:55 PM, Dan York wrote:

> charts that made it rather useless to be listening to the audio as  
> we had no clue what was being discussed.  The two missing  
> presentations were later uploaded, but they were not available when  
> they were being discussed.

My apologies for this, there were a few technical and logistical  
problems that made uploading the slides in time impossible.

Your point is dully noted though: Availability of material is  
important to enable remote participation.

--Olaf