Subject: Chairs: Helping out remote participants

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:19:08 -0400

Just a quick note on what chairs could do to help out remote  
participants, from someone who is trying to participate remotely for  
the first time this week.

In order of priority (most important first):

1) Ensure all meeting materials are uploaded before the session  
begins. Ideally, the various presentations would be listed (on the  
meeting materials page) in the same order as they appear in the  
agenda, but otherwise they should have good names so  the correct  
presentation can be easily found. [Following a presentation without  
seeing the slides can be VERY difficult.]

2) Ensure everyone uses a microphone.

3) Ensure someone monitors the jabber chat room. If you cannot find a  
scribe, at least have someone watching for questions, especially  
simple questions like "what slide are we on now" or "who is that at  
the mic?".

4) Ensure all presentations have slide numbers and have the jabber  
person type in slide changes. (It is often hard to tell from just  
audio clues).

Thanks!

- Philip

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:14:48 -0400

One other request from someone else who is also remote for this meeting:

- Can chairs (or others) please ask those going to microphones to  
raise questions to *please* state their names as they start to speak?

Some people are frequent commenters and their voices are well-known...  
but others are not.  It's helpful to remote folks to know who is  
talking.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. And +1 to Philip's other points.

On Jul 28, 2008, at 7:19 AM, Philip Matthews wrote:

> 3) Ensure someone monitors the jabber chat room. If you cannot find  
> a scribe, at least have someone watching for questions, especially  

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free