Subject: RFC Editor Services RFI

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:00:22 -0500

In 2009 the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) plans to  
issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the performance of the RFC  
Editor functions beginning in 2010.  The incumbent has advised that  
they do not intend to respond to the RFP.

The purpose of the RFI is to identify potential contractors to provide  
the RFC Editor services and to obtain feedback from contractors and  
the broader Internet community on the implementation of the new RFC  
services model.

The RFC Editor provides editing, publishing and archiving services for  
the RFC series on behalf of the IETF and the broader Internet community.

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) has described the RFC Editor  
services, which includes four functions.  Following this structure  
could result in four vendors providing services that are currently  
provided by one vendor, or fewer than four vendors depending on input  
received from the RFI as to how the functions might be combined for  
the efficient delivery of professional, quality services.

The overall RFC Editor function is described in RFC 4844 and the model  
for the RFC Editor structure is described in the IAB model at:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-rfc-editor-04 
  .  The model is intended to increase flexibility and operational  
support options, provide for the orderly succession of the RFC Editor,  
and ensure the continuity of the RFC series, while maintaining RFC  
quality, maintaining timely processing, ensuring document  
accessibility, reducing costs, and increasing cost transparency.

The four RFC Editor functions in brief:

1.	The RFC Series Editor (RSE) is responsible for overseeing the  
consistency and quality of the RFC Series;
2.	The Independent Submissions Editor (ISE) is responsible for  
managing the independent submissions stream to the RFC series;
3.	The RFC Production Center is responsible for the editing of  
documents consistent with the RFC Style Manual; and
4.	The RFC Publisher is responsible for publishing and maintaining an  
archive of the RFC Series and its associated Errata.

The RFI can be found at: http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html

Responses are due no later than 6 March 2009.  See RFI for details.

Questions about this RFI can be addressed to:  [email-masked]
All questions and answers will be posted on the website at http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html 
.

All information submitted in response to this announcement is  
voluntary and may be used in the development of the RFP(s).

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf