Subject: Re: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees inviteyour reviewand comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:48:51 +0000

FWIW, I am serving pro bono in the public interest, and I hope everyone else here would also. /Larry
------Original Message------
From: John C Klensin
Sender: 
To: Lawrence Rosen
To: 'IETF Discussion'
Subject: RE: [Trustees] ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees inviteyour reviewand	comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378Problem
Sent: Jan 10, 2009 12:25 PM

--On Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:17 -0800 Lawrence Rosen
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>... 
> For the lawyers on here, I'm hoping that silence now,
> particularly by the major IETF contributors on this list, will
> be interpreted as laches or waiver if one of them later claims
> an exclusive copyright interest in any IETF RFC.

Larry,

Please don't ask me to waive anything, explicitly or implicitly,
without identifying who you are representing in this matter and
related ones... or making a clear enough statement that you are
working strictly pro bono and in your perception of the public
interest to create COI or other problems should you later choose
to represent some particular interest in the area.

Failure to do either while pressing IETF participants to
disclose what we might or might not do in the future, or waive
the right to do anything by not making such a disclosure,
borders on the sort of activity that has given your profession a
reputation for being ethically challenged in many lay quarters
(from Shakespeare's recommendation about how to dispose of the
problem forward and probably much earlier).

I trust that even the most creative of lawyers cannot interpret
my comments above, or Bill's similar ones, as "silence".   While
I cannot speak for anyone else, and would not try, I don't
believe you can either (at least without identifying them as
parties with whom you have a client-attorney relationship).

Just my opinion.

    john

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:32:01 -0500

> everyone else here would also. /Larry

And you have no clients, even clients for whom you are working
pro bono, who have a vested position in the outcome of these
discussions?

That is certainly not consistent with things you have said in
the past.  My sympathies on your loss of business relationships.

   john