Subject: Re: RFC 5378 Trademarks (was where to send RFC 5378 license forms)

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 16:45:31 -0500

--On Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:32:12 AM -0500 "Contreras, Jorge" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> For background, the trademark license was included in RFC 3978 because
> someone was concerned about Contributors who submitted documents to IETF
> for standards-track use and included trademarked product names in them.
> The IETF wanted to ensure that the IETF process would not be hindered by
> the Contributor, and also wanted to ensure that the trademarks were
> identified so that implementers would not be surprised by the trademark
> owner's claim after a standard was adopted.

To be clear, this was not idle paranoia.  Like many (not all) of the poor 
behaviors our processes attempt to protect against, this is something that 
working groups have actually seen happen.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf