Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your review and comments on a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 19:29:48 -0500

--On Thursday, January 29, 2009 16:26 -0500 Dean Anderson
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>...
> You comment explains exactly the problems with RFC5378.  This
> is why we, Glassey, myself, others advocated for having the
> contributor hold the copyright, as is done in other standards
> groups, like the ITU, The Open Group, ANSI, etc

Dean, while I prefer the "Contributor holds copyright and gives
the standards body the rights it needs" model that you appear to
be advocating for the IETF, you might want to do a little
fact-checking on the other standards groups you use as examples
(and perhaps more generally).   In almost all ANSI SDOs, the
rule is that one applies for membership and, as part of that
application, agrees to treat done anything done for the
Standards group, developed in its context, or otherwise
contributed to it, as a work for hire for that standards group.
When the contribution has already been published in another
context, those same bodies usually, although I think not always,
require explicit copyright transfers to the SDO.   Those
mechanisms are about as far from "contributor holds the
copyright" as it is possible to get, IMO.

ITU's rules are a little different, but the effect is much the
same.  And neither ITU nor most ANSI SDOs list authors for
standards -- they are always considered collective,
consensus-developed, works with, at most, an editor (usually
listed as part of the listing of the committee members or as an
indication of staff support, not as front page matter or as a
normal part of a citation to the document).

    john

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf