Subject: Reclassifying Sender ID and SPF as Historic

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:25:44 -0800

Hello,

In April 2006, the specifications for Sender ID and SPF (RFC 4405, 
RFC 4406, RFC 4407 and RFC 4408) were published as 
Experimental.  These RFCs contain an IESG Note which warns 
participants relying on Sender ID that they may lose valid messages 
in some circumstances.  The note also contains some advice for 
participants publishing SPF records about how to avoid the conflict 
between the two experiments.  The note concludes with an invitation 
to the community to observe the success or failure of the experiments 
over a two year period so that a consensus can be reached.

This message is not about:

  1. Determining which approach is a success or a failure

  2. An invitation for people opposing the experiments to discuss about them

  3. Starting a letter writing campaign to perpetuate the experiments.

It is in the interest of the community to conclude these two 
experiments given that it's over two years and that the IESG believes 
that it can lead to loss of mail.  As such, it is suggested that RFC 
4405, RFC 4406, RFC 4407 and RFC 4408 be reclassified as Historic.

Proponents of Sender ID and SPF are encouraged to update their 
specifications to resolve any conflict that was observed.  Obviously, 
it's in their best interests to reach a consensus on what changes are 
appropriate instead of trying to publish each document individually 
as any individual effort would likely face opposition from the IETF community.

Regards,
-sm

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:45:06 -0500

> as any individual effort would likely face opposition from the IETF

Until the current problems with RFC 5378 are resolved it's not possible to 
publish an update to RFC 4408 (at least as I understand the RFC 5378 issues).

Can we put this off until it's actually possible to do it even in theory?

Anyone with an interest in Sender ID that is interested in working on reaching 
consensus about resolving the conflicts is welcome to contact me off list.

Scott K

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:12:28 -0800

>Can we put this off until it's actually possible to do it even in theory?

I'll wait for the current problems with RFC 5378 to be resolved.

Regards,
-sm