Subject: comments last call IDR draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-03.txt

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:32:10 -0800

I have a few textual nits which I will forward to the authors, however I
 have an areas of concern in from an implementation perspective.

section-3 page 10 paragraph states

   If a given component type within a prefix in unknown, the prefix in
   question cannot be used for traffic filtering purposes by the
   receiver.  Since a Flow Specification as the semantics of a logical
   AND of all components, if a component is FALSE by definition it
   cannot be applied.  However for the purposes of BGP route propagation
   this prefix should still be transmitted since BGP route distribution
   is independent on NLRI semantics.

It seems possible that a maliciously crafted set of components or
construct that might cause damage to a particular implementation could
be created such that it would bypass some routers(implementations) and
not other's, such that malicious data  could be injected into routing
system some distance from the target and blindly forwarded because the
point of injection is unable to validate the components it doesn't
implement.

I would of course be happy to have my impression be mollified if it is
unjustified.
_______________________________________________
OPS-DIR mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-dir

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf