Subject: Stockholm airport

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:46:06 -0400

I just got approval to attend IETF, and I am getting 2 airports for 
Stockholm.

Which is the one to use?

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:56:48 -0400

> I just got approval to attend IETF, and I am getting 2 airports for

Skavsta is where the cheap flights go, e.g. Ryanair.  It's further out,
down near Nykoping, but you can save a bundle.  Arlanda (ARN) is the
main airport.

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:30:59 -0700 (PDT)

ARN

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> I just got approval to attend IETF, and I am getting 2 airports for Stockholm.
> 
> Which is the one to use?
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
> 
>

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:48:56 -0400

btw the bus from Skavsta is less than half the cost of the Arlanda
Express train.

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:02:57 -0700

There are also comparatively cheap busses from ARN, for those
money-conscious folks who have time to waste.  But in my limited experience,
the train is really the way to go.
Stephan

---

From: Cary Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:13:23 +0200

> the train is really the way to go.

It's possible to take public transit from Arlanda into the city but
there are no signed directions anywhere about how to do this. I'll
prepare instructions and post them here.

Unless you know what you're doing, do _not_ take a taxi from the
airport. I'll provide more info about that, as well.

/Cary

---

From: Mans Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:57:30 +0200

> I just got approval to attend IETF, and I am getting 2 airports for  

As others have mentioned, there are several. Ryan Air uses Skavsta (NYO
/ ESKN) and Västerås (VST / ESOW). Those are fairly remote; count on
several hours of bus transit.

Absolutely closest is Stockholm Bromma (BMA / ESSB) but it is only
serviced by a few international carriers, and only from one source
(Brussels). It is mainly domestic / GA.

The one most used is as others have mentioned Stockholm Arlanda (ARN /
ESSA) which is used by all major carriers and serves the most
destinations. It is located some 40 km north of Stockholm, and transfer
to and from it is plentiful. Cary promised some text, but I'll write
anyway.

1. Taxi. 
   Expect to pay no more than SEK 500. Reputable taxi companies have
   fixed prices around that. I prefer Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir, and
   Taxi 020.

2. High-speed direct train Arlanda Express.
   Its Stockholm terminus is a mere 3 minutes walk from the conference hotel. 
   Return tickets at around SEK 460:-
   https://www.arlandaexpress.com:443/default.aspx?page=3&

3. Airport coach service Flygbussarna. 
   A five minute walk from the hotel when in Stockholm. 
   Return ticket SEK 199:-. Tickets on the buses only payable by credit card. 
   http://www.flygbussarna.se/Default.aspx?lang=EN
   
4. Public transport. From Arlanda to town: 

	You CAN'T buy a ticket on the bus! 

   a. Get a ticket. Locate Arlanda Visitor Center in Terminal 5 and 
      tell them you want a SL ticket to Stockholm, via bus 583 etc. I
      think they sell a strip of 16 tokens for SEK 180:- which is good
      for 4 single trips to or from the airport. They  sell the 7 days
      card too, which is a very wise choice if you expect to use the public
      transport at all during the week. Price for the card is SEK 260:-
      Also ask where the 583 stops. As a courtesy to the more expensive forms of 
      transfer, the 583 is hidden so as to not appeal to much ;-) 
   b. Locate the bus stop for bus no 583, destination "Märsta Station". 583x
      might work too, but make sure that the destination is Märsta.
   c. Get on, and get off after some 20 minutes at the Märsta Station
      end stop. (You can't go too far unless you are on the wrong
      direction.)
   d. At the station, get on the commuter train for Stockholm
      (direction Södertälje). The trains and buses match in time, so
      you have something like 5-8 minutes to get off the bus and on the
      train.  Plenty, it is just a 100 metre walk.
   e. Get off at Stockholm Central, just after station Karlberg. The
      hotel is just 7 minutes away by foot. Get out of the platform  in
      the north end, at the rear of the train. Much easier.

On tickets: They are stamped by the driver in the beginning of each
trip (on buses) or by platform access people in booths before getting
on the platform. Make sure to keep the ticket. Controls happen. Also,
the ticket is vaild one hour from stamping time, and will be amendable
by new stamping when changing to a new means of transport within the hour.
The one-week card is easier, magnetic stripe or RFID. 

-- 
Måns Nilsson

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:40:42 -0700

Arlanda

---

From: "Fredrik Jervfors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:33:57 +0200

> destinations. It is located some 40 km north of Stockholm, and transfer to
> and from it is plentiful. Cary promised some text, but I'll write anyway.
>
> 1. Taxi.
> fixed prices around that. I prefer Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir, and Taxi
> 020.
>
> a. Get a ticket. Locate Arlanda Visitor Center in Terminal 5 and tell them
> you want a SL ticket to Stockholm, via bus 583 etc. I think they sell a
> strip of 16 tokens for SEK 180:- which is good for 4 single trips to or
> from the airport. They  sell the 7 days card too, which is a very wise
> choice if you expect to use the public transport at all during the week.
> Price for the card is SEK 260:-
> b. Locate the
> bus stop for bus no 583, destination "Märsta Station". 583x might work
> too, but make sure that the destination is Märsta.
> c. Get on, and get off
> after some 20 minutes at the Märsta Station end stop. (You can't go too
> far unless you are on the wrong direction.)
> d. At the station, get on the
> commuter train for Stockholm (direction Södertälje). The trains and buses
> match in time, so you have something like 5-8 minutes to get off the bus
> and on the train.  Plenty, it is just a 100 metre walk. e. Get off at
> Stockholm Central, just after station Karlberg. The
> hotel is just 7 minutes away by foot. Get out of the platform  in the
> north end, at the rear of the train. Much easier.
>
> trip (on buses) or by platform access people in booths before getting on
> the platform. Make sure to keep the ticket. Controls happen. Also, the
> ticket is vaild one hour from stamping time, and will be amendable by new
> stamping when changing to a new means of transport within the hour. The
> one-week card is easier, magnetic stripe or RFID.

That's a good and extensive guide, Måns.

For more information about public transportation in Stockholm, please
visit <http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906>. There you'll
find information in English on prices, tickets and a journey planner. More
languages are available at <http://www.sl.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=7855>.

Sincerely,
Fredrik

---

From: Anne-Marie Eklund-Löwinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:22:35 +0200

> -----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
> Från: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> För Fredrik Jervfors
> Skickat: den 19 juli 2009 09:34
> Till: [email-masked]
> Ämne: Re: Stockholm airport
> 
> For more information about public transportation in 
> Stockholm, please visit 
> <http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906>. There 
> you'll find information in English on prices, tickets and a 
> journey planner. More languages are available at 
> <http://www.sl.se/templates/Page.aspx?id=7855>.
> 
> Sincerely,
> Fredrik
> 
Moreover, for those of you who decide to stay in Stockholm after (or arrive before) the meeting I would recommend you to get the Stockholm Card http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/, which gives you free admission to a lot of museums and attractions on top of free travel by public transportation and bonus offers with discounts on sightseeing tours among other things. You may choose from three different categories: 24 hours, 48 hours or 72 hours.

Kind regards,

Anne-Marie Eklund Löwinder
Quality & Security Manager
.SE (The Internet Infrastructure Foundation)

PO Box 7399, SE-103 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Visits: Ringvägen 100 A
Switchboard: +46(0)8-452 35 00
Direct: +46(0)8-452 35 17
Mobile: +46(0)734-31 53 10
E-mail: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.iis.se

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:49:59 -0400

By chance (I assume it was chance), CNN's travel section just ran a
piece on Stockholm:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/getaways/07/21/stockholm.travel/index.html

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:29:49 +0200

> http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/getaways/07/21/stockholm.travel/index.html

I am pretty sure it was our excellent hosts at .SE (Staffan, Anne- 
Marie, Patrik ("the other Patrik", not me), Jörgen and others) that  
fixed this. Hey, they booked one of the coolest soccer fields for  
Monday evening as well as ordering nice weather that will move in  
Sunday evening in time for the walk to the City Hall.

:-)

    Patrik - just like some other people trying to offload the hosts  
by watching this list

---

From: Cary Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:07:16 +0200

Two other things that may be worth noting--

The express train between the city and Arlanda has a special summertime
ticketing deal where 2 adults traveling together can share a single
ticket costing 250 kr.

Also the 24 hour, 72 hour, and 7 day travel passes on the public transit
system are good for the ferries that traffic the downtown waters, and
the "museum" tram
http://www.sparvagssallskapet.se/djurgardslinjen/english.php

> Moreover, for those of you who decide to stay in Stockholm after (or
> arrive before) the meeting I would recommend you to get the Stockholm
> Card
> http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/,
> which gives you free admission to a lot of museums and attractions on
> top of free travel by public transportation and bonus offers with
> discounts on sightseeing tours among other things. You may choose from
> three different categories: 24 hours, 48 hours or 72 hours