Subject: Review of draft-ietf-webdav-bind-25 ("Binding Extensions to WebDAV")

From: Angela Schreiber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:09:37 +0200

Julian Reschke invited me to review the latest version of the
IETF draft "Binding Extensions to WebDAV". See below for some
notes about my person and my relationship to WebDAV in general.

Document: draft-ietf-webdav-bind-25
Reviewer: Angela Schreiber, Day Software AG
Review Date: July 23, 2009

Summary:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on my work on the Jackrabbit WebDAV library and server
implementation [1] I silently followed to progress of this draft
and consider it to be ready for publication now.

Being member of the expert group of JSR 283 [2] I particularly
appreciate that the proposed draft very nicely fits the concept
of shareable nodes defined in JSR 283. This has been showed by the
extensions Julian added to the Jackrabbit Webdav Server [3].

Major Issues:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

None.

Minor Issues:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

None

Editorial Comments:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- 2.2. URI Mappings Created by a new Binding
   I have the impression that there is a typo:

   "Note that if R is a collection, additional URI mappings are created
    to the descendents of R."
   ->
   "Note that if R is a collection, additional URI mappings are created
    to the descendants of R."

- The document uses both 'behavior' and 'behaviour'.
   I am not sure whether the document prefers British over American
   english spelling. My impression is that both spellings occur (e.g.
   internationalization, marshalling, signalled and behaviour/behavior)
   ... but I'm not a native speaker.

- The examples with 'CollY' (or any other characters following 'Coll')
   would be easier to read for me if it was written 'CollectionY'.

References:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-webdav-library.html
     http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jackrabbit-jcr-server.html

[2] JSR 283: Content Repository for JavaTM Technology API Version 2.0
     http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=283

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1733

Best regards
Angela Schreiber

Some notes about myself: I am a developer at Day Software AG
and committer at Apache Jackrabbit. Among other things I was
the original author of the Jackrabit WebDAV library and server
implementations. I am involved in the JSR 283 standard work and
part of the group responsible for the reference implementation.
Since 2007 I am member of the Apache Software Foundation.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:26:21 +0200

Hi Angela,

thanks for the feedback. Comments inline:

> Editorial Comments:

My spell checker says both is OK in en-US, in doubt, the RFC Editor will 
fix this.

>   ... but I'm not a native speaker.

In my working copy, I changed the text to consistently use the US 
spelling (note that it's not clear that we will submit a new draft 
before it gets onto the IESG agenda, in which case, again, it would be 
up to the RFC Editor to fix this).

> ...

I see your point, but making the example paths longer would cause 
problems with the width of the artwork in the examples (which is 
restricted to 72 characters because of the text format). Thus we have 
chosen to use a consistent and short naming scheme.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:23:22 +0200

> extensions Julian added to the Jackrabbit Webdav Server [3].

Actually, the code was written and tested by Manfred Baedke; I just 
reviewed it and applied the patches (as Jackrabbit committer).

BR, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:23:22 +0200

BR, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:26:21 +0200

Hi Angela,

Best regards, Julian