Subject: IETF74 T-Shirt Art Donated to IETF Trust

From: "Gregory M. Lebovitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 00:49:19 -0700

I have been asked about this several times this week, so I'd like to 
clarify here for all.

Juniper has donated the art for the highly popular IETF74 San 
Francisco T-shirt (brown, IPv6 World Tour, "concert" concept) to the 
IETF Trust. This was done because a) many people wanted to buy more 
of these shirts, b) the IETF expressed an interest in fulfilling 
those requests.

We hope this art can be leveraged to spread the message about IPv6 
transition broadly across the Internet community, in a fun and cool 
way . The ball is now in Ray (and team's) court.

Hope it helps, and enjoy,
the Juniper host team from IETF74

+++++++++++++++++++++++
IETF-related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks
g r e go r  y d o t  i e tf a t  g m a i l  do t c o  m

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:23:12 +0200

"Gregory M. Lebovitz" <[email-masked]> writes:

> IETF Trust. This was done because a) many people wanted to buy more of
> these shirts, b) the IETF expressed an interest in fulfilling those
> requests.
>

Great, thanks!

I suggest the Trust considers T-shirt designs as code components so that
the BSD license applies to it.  :-)

/Simon

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:08:15 +0200

Gregory M. Lebovitz wrote:
> Juniper has donated the art for the highly popular IETF74 San Francisco 

Greg,

Many thanks!

Especially in light of Bob Hinden's cautionary reference to the Wasa, at the 
Plenary, I suspect it would be worth exploring also obtaining the "layered" art 
on the back of the t-shirt (and on the invitations) of the Wasa.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:59:12 +0200

It would seem in the open spirit if the IETF to make this a standing
order for t-shirt art, wouldn't it?

On Friday, July 31, 2009, Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have been asked about this several times this week, so I'd like to clarify here for all.
>
> Especially in light of Bob Hinden's cautionary reference to the Wasa, at the Plenary, I suspect it would be worth exploring also obtaining the "layered" art on the back of the t-shirt (and on the invitations) of the Wasa.
>
> d/
>
> --
>
>   Dave Crocker
>   http://bbiw.net
> _______________________________________________
> 75attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/75attendees
>

---

From: "cokotracy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:27:19 +0300 (Egypt Daylight Time)

I think it's right. nice art, nice colour and wonderful design.

Coko Tracy 

-------Message original-------
 
De : Richard Barnes
Date : 7/31/2009 12:00:00 PM
A : [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked];  [email-masked];  [email-masked]
Sujet : Re: [74attendees] [75attendees] IETF74 T-Shirt Art Donated to
IETFTrust

clarify here for all.
> Especially in light of Bob Hinden's cautionary reference to the Wasa, at
the Plenary, I suspect it would be worth exploring also obtaining the 
layered" art on the back of the t-shirt (and on the invitations) of the Wasa

_______________________________________________
74attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/74attendees

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:40:51 -0500

This is a cool design, I agree.

With that said, I think a discussion needs to occur on the 
devaluation of the importance of what the shirt means - were it to be 
distributed to any/many folks that did not attend an IETF.

There have been several other cool designs from IETFs past, most 
notably is the one that the IETF refused to have a shirt for (i.e., 
IETF47 in Adelaide). I think that's still (for those who attended) 
the most popular IETF shirt. I'll give Juniper credit (dare 
I?  ;-)  that this is a very popular design.

So, this is a choice between "how can the IETF get money?" vs. the 
purity that those that have an IETF shirt actually went to that 
particular IETF meeting.

I realize this "purity" isn't really purity, given that I'm a rather 
large man, and sometimes they don't have my size, so I get a size 
that fits my wife or daughter.  But the idea that there is one per 
paid attendee remains.

I fear that advertising ("Joe's Bar/Grill & ISP") will become the 
next step to gain revenue goals if we go down this path, but I might 
be being too pessimistic...

James

BTW - I hate for this whole idea to devolve into this scenario -- the 
event sponsor will sell the design of the shirt to the IETF, who 
might believe they can earn more that it cost (sponsor fee plus COGS) in sales.

At 02:49 AM 7/31/2009, Gregory M. Lebovitz wrote:
>Ietf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:08:48 -0700

On Jul 31, 2009, at 12:49 AM, Gregory M. Lebovitz wrote:

> IETF Trust.

Speaking as a Trustee, the Trust thanks Juniper for the donation.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:09:29 -0700

> the BSD license applies to it.  :-)

Do we have to write the license on the shirt, or can we use a URL?

:-)

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 23:12:23 -0700

On Jul 31, 2009, at 9:40 PM, James M. Polk wrote:

> this is a choice between "how can the IETF get money?"

That is something the Trust would have to think about. What we had  
been considering was literally licensing a t-shirt company to print  
the designs and enabling IETFers to order them. The monetary value to  
the IETF - the revenue stream - is very much TBD, and I wouldn't  
automatically assume it was large.