Subject: Re: MHonArc mail archive line wrapping

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:03:14 +0100

On Feb 15, 2011, at 21:46, Stuart Cheshire wrote:

(readable E-Mail)

How did you manage to get Apple Mail to properly use RFC 3676, i.e.

	; Format="flowed"; DelSp="yes"

on the Content-Type?  Apple broke that in 10.6, IIRC.

(Not that solving this problem on the sender side would solve it for all other senders on the reader side, but I'd like to solve both.)

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Doug Barton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:33:19 -0800

> (Not that solving this problem on the sender side would solve it for all other senders on the reader side, but I'd like to solve both.)

Combining format=flowed with wrapping at around 70 columns gives you the 
best of both worlds. Unfortunately you run into complications when you 
add PGP to the mix, but otherwise it's a good combination.

Pine (now Alpine) has been doing this (or capable of it) for years. For 
Thunderbird wrapping is the default, and you can toggle the 
mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed option to true in the config editor.

The historical reasons that wrapping is useful are still (to some 
extent) relevant; but we aren't doing anyone any favors by ignoring the 
new reality that messages are read on a wide variety of devices here in 
the 21st Century.

hth,

Doug

-- 

	Nothin' ever doesn't change, but nothin' changes much.
			-- OK Go

	Breadth of IT experience, and depth of knowledge in the DNS.
	Yours for the right price.  :)  http://SupersetSolutions.com/