Subject: Where to find IETF recommendations?

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:44:57 +0100

All,

I just happened to notice this document on ietf-announce today:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-server-logging-recommendations/

It seems quite reasonable.

My question is... how is this advice expected to trickle out into actual
use? There are more than 6000 RFCs, and they don't seem to be organized
in a useful way that I can find.

I ask because I was going to forward this to an IPv6 operations list,
and thought "hm... what about the rest?" and I realized I did not know,
and did not even know how to find out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Shane

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:10:11 +0200

Shane,

Like this one, aren't recommendations usually published as BCPs?

Bob

On Feb 28, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Shane Kerr wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:35:12 +0100

Bob,

Are recommendations actually published as BCP?

I only see one BCP with "IPv6" in the title, published back in 2004.
Compared to this, the ipv6ops working group alone has produced dozens of
informational RFCs:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/

At least one of these are even explicitly recommendations:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4890/

Some are targeted at protocol developers, some at vendors, some at
operators. It's quite a mixed bag. :)

I'm not complaining, I just want to know if I am missing an obvious
place.

--
Shane

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:19:35 -0500

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Shane Kerr [[email-masked]]

In practice, you have to be "up on the field", to be part of the ongoing discussions.  Other standards organizations are better organized about publishing their recommendations, but always, in practice, you have to be aware of what is being done by the systems you need to interoperate with.

Dale

---

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:30:42 -0500

As far as I know, what you're looking for doesn't exist, although it would probably be good if it did!

One thing that does crop up here and there are "hitchhiker's guide" RFCs, such as this one:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5411>

Beyond that, the best way I know of to look for IETF recommendations on a subject is using the search feature on the tools pages:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/>

---

From: Lucy Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:32:40 -0800 (PST)

> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/>

Although they can quite intimidating, I'm fond the the dependency
graphs the accompany the WG pages on tools.ietf.org The link is
at the very bottom of the page - http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/

Take a look at:
http://www.fenron.net/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/v6ops.pdf

kind of makes your head hurt.

- Lucy