Subject: RFP for Legal Services Provider

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:26:46 -0800 (PST)

The Internet Society, on behalf of the IETF Administrative Oversight
Committee (IAOC), announces this Request for Proposals for a legal service
provider.  The successful bidder will enter into a contract with the
Internet Society.

The legal services provider (Provider) will provide advice to the IETF
Engineering Steering Group, IAOC, Internet Architecture Board, Internet
Research Task Force, RFC Series Editor, Independent Submissions Editor,
and the IETF Trust as requested, and will report to the IETF
Administrative Director.

The IAOC desires a long-term relationship commencing on 1 May 2011 of up
to four (4) years with a successful Provider.  Accordingly, it is looking
to structure a four (4) year term with contract review points at the
one-year and three-year marks to evaluate the success of the service
provider. The contract may be extended twice of one year’s duration each
for a possible contract term of six (6).  

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is a community of volunteers
interested in contributing to the long-term vitality of the Internet.  The
Internet Society is the organizational home of the IETF and is itself a
non-profit organization.  Pro bono bids are welcomed, however, where that
is not possible a fixed price would be desirable. It is understood that
for certain services additional costs may apply.  

Traditionally, the legal services that IETF has required have included
the following:

a)	Advice regarding the conduct of standard-setting activities,
particularly antitrust and intellectual property implications of IETF
policies and activities

b)	Development, drafting and interpretation of IETF policies relating to
intellectual property, namely copyright and patent policies

c)	Advice regarding the acquisition and licensing of intellectual
property held by the IETF Trust

d)	Maintenance and oversight of IETF’s global trademark portfolio

e)	Advice with drafting and negotiation of contracts with vendors and
service providers

f)	Response to third party subpoenas served on IETF by litigants in
cases, typically patent infringement suits, in which IETF standards or
activities are implicated

g)	Governance and procedural issues relating to the IETF Trust and IETF
in general

h)	Analysis and advice relating to relationships with other standards
development organizations, governmental entities, and the like

i)	Training sessions for the IETF Trust, as well as the IETF and WG
leadership on the above topics 

The RFP can be found at: http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html 

Proposals must be received via email at [email-masked] no later than
March 21, 2011 5:00 P.M. EST.  All questions/inquiries must be submitted
in writing and must be received no later than midnight, EST, March 1,
2011.  Responses to questions and inquiries shall be posted online at: 
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html by midnight, EST, March 7, 2011. 

The point of contact regarding this RFP is the IETF Administrative
Director, Ray Pelletier.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director