Subject: Re: Review of draft-arkko-dual-stack-extra-lite-03

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 13:17:32 +0200

Tina,

Thank you for your review.

> This document proposed using layer 2 identifier to make address translation.
>   

Strictly speaking, we propose linking NAT bindings to an interface. An 
interface may be associated with layer 2 identifiers or it may be a 
tunnel with layer 3 identifiers.

> Is this application scenario compatible with the existing technologies,
> e.g., DS-Lite, GI DS-Lite and 6RD? 
>   

DS-Lite is one application of the general principle outlined in our draft.

> Point-to-point link usually terminates at BRAS. If BRAS and AFTR is not
> co-located, there still needs tunnels in the layer 3 network. 
>   

That's right.

> In this case, if the IP addresses allocated are overlapped, it will need
> some identifiers to identify the host as described in GI DS-Lite document. 
> So another question for clarification: does this document only care about
> the layer 2 network regardless of what happens in layer 3 network?   
>   

The draft talks about the general case of an interface, and it notes 
that interfaces may, for instance, be point-to-point links or tunnels. 
It is not our intent to enumerate all possible identifier types.

Jari