Subject: 25 or 6to4

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:47:02 -0600

A bit of levity about migration to IPv6, with apologies to Robert Lamm
and with thanks to Dan Wing and Joe Hildebrand...

###

"Waiting for the break of day" (yes, the dawn will come with the
universal deployment of IPv6)

"Searching for something to say" (how will we communicate once IPv4 is
gone?)

"Flashing lights against the sky" (hoping for extraterrestrial
intervention to solve the problem)

"Giving up I close my eyes" (ignoring IPv4 address exhaustion)

"Staring blindly into space" (have you ever read all the IPv6-related
specifications in one sitting?)

"Getting up to splash my face" (February 3, 2011 was a wakeup call, no?)

"Wanting just to stay awake" (simply wishing for the Internet to keep
working)

"Wondering how much I can take" (these v4 to v6 discussions are
interminable, aren't they?)

"Should I try to do some more?" (pondering the idea of writing an
Internet-Draft)

"25 or 6to4" (yes, port 25 is the answer -- perhaps the problem will
solve itself if we all just send more email to [email-masked]!)

###

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:14:46 -0400

Wow.  An absolute tour de force from someone who *clearly* has too much time on his hands.

Thanks; made my day.  Well, except for now I've got that long-forgotten tune stuck in my head...

- Ralph

On Jun 21, 2011, at 5:47 PM 6/21/11, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:18:05 -0600

I needed a diversion from reviewing draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic
and its associated IETF LC comments. Back to my IESG duties now... ;-)

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:46:35 -0400

Now that I've swapped back in some more recollections - yes, I did see Chicago perform it live when it was first released - I'm glad you finally cleared up the meaning behind the lyrics.  I always thought the lyrics somehow drug-related ... of course, we thought a lot of lyrics were drug-related then.

More recently I thought it was about reading drafts for a telechat.

- Ralph

---

From: Steve Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:49:45 +0800

I did an interview for BBC Radio for New Year's Day several years ago about the early days of developing the Arpanet.  The closing question was why, in 1968, we weren't at Woodstock.  I replied, "For us, computers were the drug of choice."

Steve

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:31:18 -0400

I've been thinking of the protocol as "25" ever since Brian suggested the name "6to4"  :)

Keith