Subject: Re: Why ask for IETF Consensus on a WG document?

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:53:40 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>

    > I suspect that operators are *severely* under-represented on this
    > list ([email-masked]) because it is very noisy and operators have
    > other priorities.

Ah, operators. This would be the same group of people of whom, if the
recent anecdotal reports are much to go on, many (most?) are not bothering
to deploy IPv6 at all?

(Something which would seem to be very common among smaller operators,
whom one assumes, in typical long-tail fashion, form the majority of the
group.)

But their views are paramount?

I see.

	Noel

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:15:41 -0700

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]> wrote:
>    > From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
>
>    > I suspect that operators are *severely* under-represented on this
>    > list ([email-masked]) because it is very noisy and operators have
>    > other priorities.
>

Yes, and this thread is noise.  In fact, Noel comments are
specifically off-topic and should be a new thread which can get added
the old thread about 6to4.

> recent anecdotal reports are much to go on, many (most?) are not bothering

Which operator is not actively working on IPv6 projects *right now*?
Seriously, that old statement does not hold water today.

> But their views are paramount?

Not taking the bait.  Let's move.

>        Noel
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:36:18 -0400

> Seriously, that old statement does not hold water today.

Perhaps you missed the "one data point" thread from a few days ago.  It appears that a great many ISPs aren't working on supporting IPv6 yet.

Seriously, the idea that we can wait for ISPs to deploy IPv6 the way they like it, before anyone actually uses it to a significant degree, is what doesn't hold water.  That kind of attitude will keep widespread deployment of IPv6 perpetually 5-10 years away.

Keith