Subject: Re: whine, whine, whine

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:28:10 -0400

Earlier, Ray Bellis wrote:
> The only ... operator into YBQ appears to be Air Transat 
> (whoever the heck they are) and they only fly from Marseille and Paris.

I have been told that Air Transat lacks the many comforts,
low & fully-disclosed fees, and general friendliness of Ryan Air.
I've never flown Air Transat, so perhaps those reports are 
exaggerated.

Earlier, John Levine wrote:
> Their A330s have kneecap killing 31" seat pitch so I would
> only fly them if I had a premium seat or at least a guaranteed 
> exit row.  

If one believes the information available online at SeatExpert.com
or SeatGuru.com, a 31" seat pitch in ordinary Economy cabins is 
not unusual for an overseas flight on a wide range of airlines 
(e.g. AA, BA, KL, LH), depending upon aircraft type, by the way.  

Not all aircraft seats with a given pitch are equally comfortable.
Also, many people opt for various forms of "Premium Economy" 
or select particular aircraft types/configurations -- precisely 
because they prefer more leg room. 

Earlier, Klaas Wierenga wrote:
> otoh, not having to go through US immigrations saves you about
> as much time as you would have saved with a direct flight,
> not to mention the "terrorist until proven innocent" treatment. ;-)

I agree that minimising the set of security-checks and
immigration-steps is desirable for most travel these days.  

[ For my own part, I share the weariness of the "terrorist 
  until proven innocent" treatment -- that I routinely receive 
  at Heathrow, Frankfurt, and a range of other airports
  (Singapore being a notable exception).  :-]

Cheers,

Ran

PS: Singapore would make a great future A/P region meeting
    venue.  It has outstanding international air connectivity, 
    a wide range of hotel options, outstanding (and affordable) food,
    consistently pleasant weather, and consistently friendly
    and helpful local people. :-)