Subject: NVO3 Charter Review

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:03:52 -0400

General comment. IMO, we have really reached the point of diminishing
returns on wordsmithing the proposed NVO3 charter.

Up-level for a moment. The WG isn't being chartered to develop any new
technology. All its going to be doing is problem
statement/framework/gap analysis. By IETF WG chartering standards,
that is a very short leash.

Many if not most of the comments on the charter really are details
that are better sorted out in the documents that will be produced.

I think we pretty much know the rough outlines of the problem
area. Getting precision at the exact boundary edges is precisely what
the WG will work through and document as its deliverables.

What the WG does in terms of actual new protocol work depends entirely
on how good a job it does on developing those documents *and* reaching
consensus on the content of those documents. 

If that activity in developing documents starts going off the rails,
the better way to deal with it is raise the issue with the chairs and
the ADs when it happens. Trying to get specific wording in the charter
now in anticipation of those sorts of problems is IMO the wrong way to
go about it, and in all likelyhood will be ineffective anyway. (And
again, the WG is developing requirements, not developing solutions at
this stage.)

At the end of the day, the IESG won't recharter the WG to do protocol
work until it is convinced that a recharter is justified and makes
sense. That is the normal IETF process and lets just use it.

Thomas