Subject: Query to the community -- An additional IETF Meeting event?

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:40:22 -0400

We sent a query to the community on March 16, 2012.  There was a discussion on the IETF mailing list.  We also presented the topic in the IETF chair and IAOC chair presentations at administrative plenary at IETF 83, and there was an active discussion at the open mic that followed.

Our conclusion is there is a consensus to test the event for the next two IETF meetings (Vancouver and Atlanta).  We believe this can be done in a manner that will not turn the meeting into a trade show, and we believe that it will create an opportunity for IETFers to network with each other, as well as talking to vendors and service providers.

On behalf of the IESG and the IAOC,
  Russ Housley
  Bob Hinden

---

From: "Brzozowski, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:03:59 +0000

Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed them.  What are the
parameters for these activities?  Are any guidelines available yet?

John
=========================================
John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Cable
e) mailto:[email-masked]
o) 609-377-6594
m) 484-962-0060
w) http://www.comcast6.net
=========================================

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:40:22 -0400
To: IETF Announce <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Query to the community -- An additional IETF Meeting event?

>We sent a query to the community on March 16, 2012.  There was a
>discussion on the IETF mailing list.  We also presented the topic in the
>IETF chair and IAOC chair presentations at administrative plenary at IETF
>83, and there was an active discussion at the open mic that followed.
>
>Our conclusion is there is a consensus to test the event for the next two
>IETF meetings (Vancouver and Atlanta).  We believe this can be done in a
>manner that will not turn the meeting into a trade show, and we believe
>that it will create an opportunity for IETFers to network with each
>other, as well as talking to vendors and service providers.
>

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:39:50 -0400

Dear John;

> parameters for these activities?  Are any guidelines available yet?

The original message :

The IESG and IAOC are considering an addition to the IETF meeting
week, and we would like your views before we develop the idea further.

At NANOG, there is a Beer and Gear reception one evening.  There are
exhibitor tables with product vendors (hardware and software) and
service providers (registries, registrars, ISPs, ESPs, etc.) and
anyone else interested in face time with NANOG participants. They show
their equipment and services.  There is bar in the center of the room
serving beer, wine, and soft drinks. There are hors d'oeuvres
scattered around the room.

 QUESTION:  What do you think about doing a Beer and Gear style
            of event on an evening that does not conflict with
            other IETF activities?

This would be an opportunity for free food and drink for attendees,
for vendors and service providers to talk with IETF participants, and
for additional revenue to the IETF.  Obviously, attendance would be
optional.

Technical people are at the tables, not sales or marketing staff.
Vendors know that the audience is very technical, so they send the
people that can communicate with that audience.

We would charge for exhibit tables, to raise additional funds for the
IETF. A stronger base of opportunities for IETF sponsorship
distributes our funding, making it less fragile; this could make it
less likely that we would have last-minute scrambles for additional
sponsors, including hosts. A successful Beer-and-Gear like event would
not solve this but it would help.

In the past, the IETF has avoided vendor exhibits and demonstrations.
However it is clear that NANOG has found a balance that works and that
NANOG participants and the vendors consider the event valuable.  We
believe this could translate well to the IETF.

We are considering some test events, hopefully to be held at IETF 84
(Vancouver, July 2012) and IETF 85 (Atlanta, November 2012).

The kinds of evaluation criteria we are considering could include:

- Did participants enjoy the event?

- Did vendors consider the event successful?

- Did the IETF raise additional funds?

- Did the event "steal" potential sponsors away from other
 aspects of the meeting?

...

Russ Housley
Bob Hinden