Subject: Are there XMPP conference servers for IETF in use outside of IETF meeting weeks?

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:02:16 -0500

There are times when I hunger for IETF chat rooms in between IETF
meetings.  Some mailing list discussions suffer from latency + piling
on.  I understand that IM chat rooms would often suffer from lack of
attendance, but a sort of interim meeting could get called on IM much
more often than physical interim meetings, and might help resolve
disagreements / reach consensus more quickly and with less effort than
e-mail (consensus would still have to be confirmed on-list, of
course).

Nico
--

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:09:38 +0100

Hi Nico,

> e-mail (consensus would still have to be confirmed on-list, of

Yes, the wg meeting rooms are always available.

If you want to use them for a more formal wg session then that's
a virtual interim. [1] We used that (just jabber, no voice) for
DKIM a few years ago and it worked ok. Other WGs also make use
of voice calls in parallel.

Cheers,
S.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/interim-meetings.html