Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-04.txt> (Update to RFC 3777 to Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF Leadership) to Best Current Practice

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:07:18 +0100

I have participated in the discussions leading to this version of the
document, and support its publication as an RFC. However, I have two
small editorial proposals and two typos that I would like to see 
polished.

Thanks,
Adrian

---

Section 1

   RFC 3777 specifies that "sitting members" of the IAB and IESG "may
   not volunteer to serve on the nominating committee".  Since that
   document was written the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee
   (IAOC) was formed, and that body is not covered by RFC 3777.

The point here is not just the formation of the IAOC, it is the fact
that NomCom appoints people to the IAOC that is important. Can you
add this fact with the appropriate reference to the instructions to
NomCom for selecting IAOC members.

---

Section 2

There is a punctuation and ambiguity issue :-(
1. As punctuated looks like the exclusion is people who are
   simultaneously ISOC trustees and on the IAB, IESG, and IAOC!
2. It is not clear what bodies people might be serving in ex-officio
   positions.

Sometimes more is less. Suggest...

OLD
   15.  Members of the Internet Society Board of Trustees and sitting
   members of the IAB, the IESG, and the IAOC, including members in ex-
   officio positions, may not volunteer to serve as voting members of
   the nominating committee.  Liaisons to these bodies from other bodies
   or organizations are not excluded by this rule.
NEW
   15.  Any person who serves on any of the Internet Society Board of 
   Trustees, the IAB, the IESG, or the IAOC, including those who serve 
   on these bodies in ex-officio positions, may not volunteer to serve
   as voting members of the nominating committee.  Liaisons to these 
   bodies from other bodies or organizations are not excluded by this
   rule.
END

---

Section 1
   That said, it would be bad to eliminate people who have the
   experience necessary to understand of the IETF process:
s/of the/the/

---

Section 1
s/fulfill the roles/fill the roles/

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:ietf-announce-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
> Sent: 27 September 2012 16:05
> To: IETF-Announce
> Subject: Last Call: <draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-04.txt> (Update to RFC
3777 to
> Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF Leadership) to Best Current
> Practice
> 
> 
> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
> the following document:
> - 'Update to RFC 3777 to Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF
>    Leadership'
>   <draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-04.txt> as Best Current Practice

---

From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 19:10:53 +0000

Good on both points; I will change both.

Barry