Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-abfab-gss-eap-naming-05.txt> (Name Attributes for the GSS-API EAP mechanism) to Proposed Standard

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:15:16 +0200

I found no major issues with this document.  I support publishing it if
the minor issues below are resolved.  The document is written in a
rather information dense style, but I can't come up with any easy way to
make it more accessible.  More examples and illustrations would help,
but I don't see this as sufficient reason to not move forward.

/Simon

Minor issues:

   The naming extensions [I-D.ietf-kitten-gssapi-naming-exts]to the
                                                             ^
insert SPC

   mechanism allows an Authentication/Authorization/Accounting peer to
                                                              ^
...
   [I-D.ietf-abfab-gss-eap] allows an Authentication/Authorization/
   Accounting peer to provide authorization attributes along side an
             ^
add '(AAA)'.  Otherwise the AAA acronym is not expanded.

   The first is a URI describing the format of the name.  The second
                  ^^^
Expand acronym on first use.

   The first is a URN indicating that the name is a SAML attribute and
                  ^^^
Expand acronym on first use.

   context Section 4 are issued by the same party performing the
          ^         ^
I believe parenthesis should be inserted here.

   information is combined from AAA and SAML sources.  The SAML IDP and
                                                                ^^^
Expand acronym on first use.

   GSS_S_COMPLETE.  Attributes MAy be absent or values MAY change in
                                 ^
Typo.

   value of this attribute would first wait until GSS-
                                                  ^^^^
   _Accept_sec_Context returned GSS_S_COMPLETE.  Then the application
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Typo, should be 'GSS_Accept_sec_context'.  Check this throughout the
document, there are more incorrect uses.

   GSS_Get_Name_attribute passing this name and an attribute of
           ^
Typo, should be 'GSS_Get_name_attribute'.  Check this throughout the
document, there are more incorrect uses.

   This attribute is returned with the authenticatedoutput of
                                                    ^
Typo.

   assertion, then An attribute with the name
                   ^
Typo.

   "urn:ietf:params:gss:federated-saml-attribute
   urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:uri
   urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.5923.1.1.1.7 " could be returned from
                                   ^
Should there really be a SPC at the end?  It is also not clear that
there is a SPC between the parts since they terminate the line.

   GSS_Inquire_Name.  If an application calls GSS_Get_Name_attribute
               ^
Typo, 'GSS_Inquire_name' (and 'GSS_Get_name_attribute'...).

   If the value is not simple or is empty, then the raw value(s) of the
   GSS name attribute MUST be the well-formed serialization of the
   <saml:AttributeValue> element(s) encoded as UTF-8.  The "display"
   values are implementation-defined.

Question: what serialization is intended here?  An example here would
make this more clear.

   mechanisms are permitted to perform local policy checks on SAML
   ^
Typo, capitalize to 'M'.

   choices for non-IETf work.  Expert review is permitted mainly to
                      ^
Typo.