Subject: Re: Last Call: RFC 5011 (Automated Updates of DNS Security (DNSSEC) Trust Anchors) to Internet Standard

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:00:40 -0400 (EDT)

> The IESG has received a request from the author to consider the
    > following document:
    > 'Automated Updates of DNS Security (DNSSEC) Trust Anchors,' RFC 5011
    > as an Internet Standard.
    > ...
    > The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
    > final comments on this action.

I strongly support this requested action. This specification is both i) well
designed (not to mention very clever :-), and ii) fulfils a real, major need.

	Noel

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 08:38:53 -0700

At 07:48 05-10-2012, IESG Secretary wrote:
>    (2) There are no errata against the specification that would cause a
>        new implementation to fail to interoperate with deployed ones.

I commend the author for writing a specification without any 
mistakes.  That's a lost art in the IETF.

>Note that RFC 5011 does include normative references to RFC 3755, RFC
>4033, RFC 4034 and RFC 4035 that will become down-refs if RFC 5011 is
>reclassified as "Internet Standard."  These down-refs do not preclude
>reclassification of RFC 5011 under the criteria of RFC 6410.

draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-bis-updates-20 updates RFC 4033, RFC 4034 
and RFC 4035.  The normative references in RFC 5011 might have to be 
updated accordingly.

Regards,
-sm