Subject: Re: 30th Anniversary of Transition to TCP/IP

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 14:27:16 -0500 (EST)

> From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>

    > The ARPANET transitioned to TCP/IP on 1 January 1983. That was 30 years
    > ago,

It's very hard indeed to fully grasp that it's only been 30 years. My kids
(now roughly 20) live in what is in some ways an entirely different world to
the one I grew up in.

Many technologies have had profound impacts in a short time (my parents were
born shortly after the dawn of flight, and in their late middle age saw
people landing on the Moon); and train, telegraph and telephone all each had
tremendous impact, but I'm not sure any have had quite as much as this
internetting stuff.

It's been quite a ride.

	Noel

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:12:37 -0800

> tremendous impact, but I'm not sure any have had quite as much as this

agree, both in terms of how much impact, and how big part of the society impacted.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 07:20:53 +0900

> born in 1963, i felt throughout the 70's and 80's that i had been born
> too late, that all the fun stuff had been done already. now in the
> 10's i feel like we're just getting going and that i was probably born
> too soon, that all the fun stuff is coming 50 years from now.

if you missed the '60s, indeed you were born too late.

we watched the moon landing with our host's great grandmother who grew
up with gas lighting in her home.

the pace accelerates.  technology advances more and more rapidly.
civilization?  not so much.

randy