Subject: RE: FW: Last Call: <draft-farrell-ft-03.txt> (A Fast-Track way to RFC with Running Code) to Experimental RFC

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:25:04 -0000

Hello,

Sorry I missed your last paragraph in the snow storm.

> So, Adrian, noting the ratio between discussion of this draft on
> the IETF list in the last few weeks and discussions of
> everything else, how long does professional courtesy to another
> IESG member (presumably in combination with your thinking this
> is a good idea) encourage you to allow the unintentional DoS
> attack on the IETF list to continue?

No-one is obliged to continue discussions beyond expressing their irreconcilable
discontent with the document.

The document progressed this far not out of professional courtesy to another
IESG member, but according to the rules of RFC3933. Page 3 bullet 1 had
completed, and the conditional part of bullet 2 was completed, so the next step
was IETF last call.

The IETF last call is four weeks (according to RFC3933). It ends on 2/8/13. I am
unaccustomed to calling consensus before the end of a last call.

My personal view, in sponsoring this document, is that the community needs the
opportunity to test whether there is support for running an experiment. I also
have a view that experimentation can be made safe and non-damaging to the rest
of the IETF. In that way we can often be surprised that something we thought
would never work, or was pointless, or potentially harmful, turns out to be
harmless/OK/beneficial.

Nevertheless, whatever my views on this experiment, or on experimentation in
general, when the last call completes I will summarise the last call comments to
the IESG so that they can act on bullet 3 (i.e. decide whether the proposed
experiment is plausible and appropriate.

Thanks,
Adrian