Subject: Re: Discussion of BCP79 on the IPR-WG List

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:38:08 +0100

Hi Jorge,

I never heard of this WG, is it a IETF WG, why it is not under the
General Area. This is very strange, when checking the WGs there is no
WG under General Area, is there explaination, please advise,

It is not active maybe because not represented well, or the management
of IETF was not interested in such WG, I am not sure :-( . IMO, I am
not encouraged to participate only if this WG is IETF WG under an IETF
Area, but I will read to see WG progress and/or future,

Regards

AB
++++
All - I wanted to bring to your attention that a new I-D relating to
the IETF's patent policy (BCP79) has been released and is being
discussed on the IPR-WG mailing list.  I am taking the liberty of
letting everyone know, since the IPR-WG list hasn't been particularly
active over the past few years, and this is an important policy
document that the community should be aware of.

I look forward to the discussion!

Jorge Contreras

---

From: Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 17:00:12 -0500

It's not listed under the General area because the working group disbanded
when its RFCs were finished.  IETF working groups do not last forever;
when their work is done, they're shut down.  The last charter is at
https://www.ietf.org/wg/concluded/ipr.html

As for IETF management support -- Rob Austein and I were the original
chairs.  At the time, I was on the IESG and he was on the IAB.  Rob
was succeed as co-chair by Harald Alvestrand, the immediate past chair
of the IETF.  So yes, it did have full support.

> I look forward to the discussion!

		--Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:03:03 +0100

Hi Steven,

Thanks, I am learning :)

AB