Subject: Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:05:46 -0700

Hi Ray,

As you may know, the form of the question asked in any survey can have
a major impact on both how it is answered and the rates at which it is
answered.  If you are considering adding a question on gender, may I
suggest you look at:
http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/collecting-transgender-inclusive-gender-data-in-workplace-and-other-surveys
.  It lays out some of the challenges faced there.  Since the next
meeting will be in Berlin, I also recommend that the IAOC read:
http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/monitoring/ecri/activities/themes/Ethnic_statistics_and_data_protection.pdf
as it lays out both case studies and at least a few pointers to the
relevant data protection requirements for collecting data deemed to be
"sensitive".

regards,

Ted Hardie

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM, IETF Administrative Director
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> The IETF is concerned about diversity.  As good engineers, we would like
> to attempt to measure diversity while working on addressing and increasing
> it.  To that end, we are considering adding some possibly sensitive
> questions to the registration process, for example, gender.  Of course,
> they need not be answered and would be clearly labeled as optional.
>
> The IAOC would like to hear from the community on this proposal.  It
> plans to make a decision on its 18 April call in order to make the changes
> in
> time for the Berlin registration and will consider all input received by
> 17
> April.  Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Please direct your comments to [email-masked]
>
> Ray
> IAD

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:55:27 +0100

I was counting femal ADs. I ment no female names in the AD list apears (in
my understandning I mybe wrong because in my culture some families name
their memebrs with names that we cannot notice gender). As I am a remote
participant I am not aware and may never notice difference. But I can refer
now for better than my count [1].

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg78882.html

AB

>On 19 April 2013 at 12:22 Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun at gmail.com>
wrote
on this list:

>> No name in the AD list appear so far, but if your the discuss-list is
>> right then it may be good progress, hoping for more names for
>> diversity.

>I count three ADs on the diversity discussion list at the moment.  Why is
my
count different from yours?

Adrian