Subject: IAOC Announces Meeting Registration Gender Data Gathering Decision

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 03:30:24 -0700

On 11 April the IAOC announced that it was considering asking for 
gender information during the IETF meeting registration process 
starting with IETF 87, and asked for the community to provide feedback 
by 17 April as the IAOC planned to make a decision on 18 April.

The data is being gathered to benchmark and track gender participation 
at IETF meetings currently, over time, and to inform IETF diversity 
initiatives should any be undertaken.

The IAOC appreciates the feedback provided directly and the thoughtful 
discussion on the list.

After considering the feedback from the community and counsel, the 
IAOC approved the collection of gender data on the IETF meeting 
registration form.

A question about gender will be added to the registration form 
starting with the Berlin meeting (IETF 87).

Answering the gender question will of course be optional and the 
gender data will not be associated with individual registration 
records and only retained and reported in aggregate form.

Thanks again for your input.

Bob Hinden
Chair