Subject: IETF 89 London - Enquiry

From: "Tony Chigaazira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:24:56 +0200

I confirm that as a first timer I need a mentor. May I please know the dress
code as well. 

Tony Chigaazira

Executive Secretary CRASA

WEBSITE:  <http://www.crasa.org/> www.crasa.org

TEL:    +267 3158468 

DIRECT:   +267 3158469

FAX:  +267 3181171

MOBILE:  +267 71711379

EMAIL (BUSINESS):    <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

EMAIL (PERSONAL):  <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]

Plot 138,  Unit 2

Gaborone International Finance Park 

PO Box AD 135 ADD, 

Gaborone

Botswana

The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and or
privileged material. Should you have received this e-mail in error please
notify the sender and delete all copies of the e-mail. Unauthorised use,
disclosure or copying of any part of this e-mail, or any similar action, is
prohibited. No opinion expressed or implied by the sender necessarily
constitutes the opinion of CRASA. This e-mail does not constitute a
guarantee or proof of the facts mentioned herein. No employee or
intermediary is authorised to conclude a binding agreement on behalf of
CRASA by e-mail without the express written confirmation by a duly
authorised representative of CRASA

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jan 2014 20:18:07 -0000

>I confirm that as a first timer I need a mentor. May I please know the dress

It's, ah, quite informal.  Tee shirts and sandals are common when the
weather is warm enough.  Wear whatever you want.

The only people who wear suits are vendor salesmen and Vint Cerf.

R's,
John

---

From: Roberto Peon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:39:32 -0800

Almost true.
.. almost.

-=R

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:55:03 -0500

> The only people who wear suits are vendor salesmen and Vint Cerf.

and Bob Moskowitz.

---

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:18:31 -0500

On Thursday, January 30, 2014, Scott Brim <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM, John Levine <[email-masked]<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml',[email-masked]');>
> > wrote:
>

And Henrik Levkowetz!

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:30:32 -0600

On 01/30/2014 03:18 PM, Chris Elliott wrote:
>
>
> On Thursday, January 30, 2014, Scott Brim <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM, John Levine <[email-masked]
>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml',[email-masked]');>> wrote:
>

I THINK he wears suits, but almost every time I've seen Henrik at an 
IETF meeting, he was wearing a vest, like he'd left his jacket someplace 
because he was hands-on working ...

Spencer

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:39:28 -0700

Hey, I wore a suit to the last IETF. I've been accused of being a 
salesman, but never a vendor.

         Geoff

On 01/30/2014 01:55 PM, Scott Brim wrote:
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>

---

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:23:30 +0000

John Levine
> It's, ah, quite informal.  Tee shirts and sandals are common when the weather is warm enough.

London. March. Expect rain. (The March was almost redundant there.)

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 13:51:03 +0000

> London. March. Expect rain. (The March was almost redundant there.)

Indeed. Large chunks of England are underwater… it’s been raining for some time.

Tim

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:00:55 +0000

On Jan 30, 2014, at 1:24 AM, Tony Chigaazira <[email-masked]> wrote:

> May I please know the dress code as well.

There is a brief overview of the IETF at http://www.ietf.org/tao.html, which you may be interested to read. You should likely also plan to attend the newcomer's tutorial on Sunday afternoon.

The dress code is spelled out pretty explicitly in that document - http://www.ietf.org/tao.html#rfc.section.3.4.

Since attendees must wear their name tags, they must also wear shirts or blouses. Pants or skirts are also highly recommended. Seriously though, many newcomers are often embarrassed when they show up Monday morning in suits, to discover that everybody else is wearing T-shirts, jeans (shorts, if weather permits) and sandals. There are those in the IETF who refuse to wear anything other than suits. Fortunately, they are well known (for other reasons) so they are forgiven this particular idiosyncrasy. The general rule is "dress for the weather" (unless you plan to work so hard that you won't go outside, in which case, "dress for comfort" is the rule!).

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:05:44 +0000

> Indeed. Large chunks of England are underwater… it’s been raining for some time.

But in the best traditions of the interactions of British Politics and
British Weather, a Minister for Floods will have been appointed just in
time for the floods to disappear and we will be experiencing the start
of a months long heat wave and drought by then.  Never take anything for
granted! 

Elwyn 

PS
Green wellies are de rigueur in place of sandals for flood wear in the
UK.  Could have done with them back at IETF 65 in Dallas!

/E

---

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:24:55 +0000

> Indeed. Large chunks of England are underwater... it's been raining for
> some time.

If it's still raining in March then you might need a wetsuit.

Andy

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:11:25 -0500

> If it's still raining in March then you might need a wetsuit.

or at least golashes

avri

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:12:29 -0500

>> If it's still raining in March then you might need a wetsuit.

Wellies.

- Ralph

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 10:35:40 +0900

> Large chunks of England are underwater… 

oh, you meant the weather ...