Subject: RE: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 20:36:45 -0000

[Flushing the text but not the thread]

Something that is very important to me is that the site work on very low b/w
links without either taking a long time to load or chewing precious capacity.

This usually means:
- cutting down on graphics
- making images as low resolution as is possible
- making anything high res or high b/w available through a link
- not trying to crowd too much onto one page
All the usual stuff that web designers should know but apparently don't.

Adrian

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 19:05:03 -0400

> From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
> 

Isn't this really required by the principle that the IETF attempts to
be accessible to people in areas that aren't serviced by the most
advanced technology?  I don't know if there are any countries any more
that are connected by a 9600 baud link, but there are probably some
cities that still are.

> From: Rich Kulawiec <[email-masked]>

> In the name of humanity, no Flash.  Ever.

"Gratuitous Flash and Java applets serve the same purpose as cheap
perfume and pancake makeup.  They provide shock value to distract you
from the nauseating horror that lurks beneath."
-- Syd Midnight

Dale

---

From: Rich Kulawiec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:04:45 -0400

> that are connected by a 9600 baud link, but there are probably some

This is true even for people in areas that ARE serviced by the most
advanced technology: usurious charges for wireless bandwidth are,
unfortunately, common.  So frugality of design and cache friendliness
are highly desirable goals.

---rsk