Subject: Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 07:44:52 -0700

Brian E Carpenter <brian dot e dot carpenter at gmail dot com> wrote:

>> Why would anyone care if public documents are transfered encrypted?
>
> If you don't want your government to know that you're taking an
> unhealthy interest in Avian Carriers, you might prefer to fetch the
> RFCs over an encrypted connection.

So, as many folks have been saying, by all means provide the more-secure
option for users who want it — but don't use that as a reason to take
away the existing option for other people who depend on it.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸

---

From: Ted Faber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:49:15 -0700

> away the existing option for other people who depend on it.

That sounds like words to live by/a sound operating principle.

Someone fire up the T-shirt press.

-- 
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP:
http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc
Unexpected attachment on this mail? See
http://www.isi.edu/~faber/FAQ.html#SIG

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Apr 2015 20:48:57 -0000

>Someone fire up the T-shirt press.

Hey, how about if we reword it this way?

"Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others"

R's,
John

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 14:43:00 -0700

I already have some of those shirts somewhere... ;-)

Joe

---

From: Ted Faber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 15:45:28 -0700

> "Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others"

From the length of this thread, it seems that formulation is
ineffective. :-|