Subject: Cogito ergo sum

From: Hugo Maxwell Connery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:29:16 +0000

Hi,

Firstly, sorry for this rather global spam.  Nonetheless, I believe it
warranted.

We have had discussions about the technical merits of RFC6761 proposals.

We have had discussions about processes and their justifications.

And, we have had an input on *why* we do what we do from an "old hand".

I suggest that the last, more than technical merits of discussions, or how we
do what we do, is worthy of reflection.

I am an acolyte in this space and lacking much of the technical
expertise of other members.  Nonetheless, I suggest that as we
deal with this change from what-was-envisioned-and-kept-alive-over-the-last-20-years
we need to also consider how it all began, and what _principles_ were
behind that process such that this understanding can guide us
in how we continue.

  interoperability

Regards,  Hugo Connnery
--

if it were in our power (or especially in amazon's or google's or
akamai's power) to cause the internet to be made up of mostly modern
routers, then it would be so. alas, it is not in our power, and the
internet will always have a long tail of routers we wish didn't exist
any more. thus the aphorism, "the least reliable and most expensive part
of the internet is OPM -- other people's networks."

for dns, we must design for the internet we will always have, not the
internet we will always want. and on the internet we have, packets per
second are a common bottleneck, such that an attacker knows they can
reliably deny service with a small number of small packets, which do not
saturate any link, but which do saturate the kinds of routers and
firewalls people actually do still buy and use today.

--
Paul Vixie

_______________________________________________
DNSOP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop