Subject: Who do I ask about a missing IANA registration from 2006 ?

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 2015 16:31:27 -0500

Back in 2006, RFC 4387, on looking up PKIX certificates, in section 3.2 
defined three names for SRV lookups, "certificates", "crls", and 
"pgpkeys".  It says they're used in SRV lookups and gives examples for 
SRV lookups of

       _certificates._tcp.example.com
       _crls._tcp.example.com

Five years later RFC 6335 cleaned up the management of service names and 
port numbers.  Among other things it imported an informal list of service 
names without port numbers at http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html. 
For some reason, those three names weren't in it.

I presume this was an oversight, since it would be unfortunate if someone 
registered different services called certificiates, crls, or pgpkeys.  How 
does one do a retroactive IANA update?

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:48:31 -0500

--On Saturday, November 14, 2015 16:31 -0500 John R Levine
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I presume this was an oversight, since it would be unfortunate
> if someone registered different services called certificiates,
> crls, or pgpkeys.  How does one do a retroactive IANA update?

When an omission is this obvious, there is precedent for a
relevant AD just asking IANA to update the table and IANA doing
it.  Otherwise, we can make a community decision to waste a lot
of everyone's time :-(

    john

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 03:35:24 +0000

John is correct.
I¹ll confirm the addition of these with the IESG.
If any community consultation is needed, they will let us know.

Thank you John and John.

Michelle

*******

Michelle Cotton
Protocol Parameters Engagement Manager
ICANN

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 23:44:08 -0500

Since that particular registry is first come first served for a
service only registration, it should not be an issue. John could
simply make a request on the IANA portal. Its the Well Known Services
registry, same as for port allocation.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 2015 12:38:12 -0000

>If any community consultation is needed, they will let us know.

I am remined that RFC 4387 also defines "pgprevocations", same deal.

>-=-=-=-=-=-
>[Attachment type=application/pkcs7-signature, name=smime.p7s]
>-=-=-=-=-=-