Subject: IETF routing me through Hong Kong to get to www.IETF.ORG ?

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:46:03 -0700

www.ietf.org was *really slow*,

so I looked up the IP and this is how www.ietf.org is resolving for me:

Hostname: 	www.ietf.org

Country: 	Hong Kong 	  	Country Code 	HK

Latitude 	22.25			Longitude	114.167

IP Address (IPv6) 	2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155 	
		        (www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net.)

-- 

Doug Royer - (http://K7DMR.us / http://DougRoyer.US)
[email-masked]
714-989-6135

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 02:00:07 +0000

I seriously doubt that the IETF was routing your traffic. Your service provider might have been...

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 5:46 PM, Doug Royer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>

---

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 02:06:10 +0000

> 		        (www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net.)

In a world of CDNs with anycast presence, the notional geoIP lookup
is not very informative, traceroute and ping often reveal more
relevant information.

For me:

    $ traceroute6 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155
     ...
     5  te0-4-0-26.rcr24.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com  0.785 ms  0.734 ms  0.714 ms
     6  be2600.rcr21.ewr02.atlas.cogentco.com  1.563 ms be2601.rcr21.ewr02.atlas.cogentco.com  1.41 ms  1.474 ms
     7  2001:550:2:10::5:2  0.959 ms  0.984 ms  0.949 ms
     8  2400:cb00:11:1024::c629:ebce  0.884 ms 2400:cb00:11:1024::a29e:3c1a  0.95 ms 2400:cb00:11:1024::6ca2:dae0  0.944 ms

    $ ping6 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155
    16 bytes from 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155, icmp_seq=0 hlim=57 time=0.916 ms
    16 bytes from 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155, icmp_seq=1 hlim=57 time=0.870 ms
    16 bytes from 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155, icmp_seq=2 hlim=57 time=0.878 ms
    16 bytes from 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155, icmp_seq=3 hlim=57 time=0.854 ms
    ...

Which places that anycast server at most ~270 km from NYC, somewhere
in NJ most likely.  Your mileage (from Boise Idaho?) may vary.

IPv4 results below:

    $ traceroute 104.20.1.85
     ...
     5  te0-4-0-26.rcr24.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.24.35.193)  0.930 ms
     6  be2600.rcr21.ewr02.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.40.30)  1.513 ms  1.424 ms
     7  38.104.44.10 (38.104.44.10)  0.989 ms  1.025 ms  0.978 ms
     8  104.20.1.85 (104.20.1.85)  0.980 ms  1.080 ms  0.964 ms

    $ ping 104.20.1.85
    64 bytes from 104.20.1.85: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=0.973 ms
    64 bytes from 104.20.1.85: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=0.988 ms
    64 bytes from 104.20.1.85: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=0.992 ms
    64 bytes from 104.20.1.85: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=0.961 ms

-- 
	Viktor.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:17:00 -0700

> is not very informative, traceroute and ping often reveal more

Yes, after I saw Fred's message I thought of that.
Need to stop trusting the tools :-)

I also did a traceroute, in the last 30 minutes it has changed.
Something must have been bused in the routing or busted DNS cache
someplace. It was 10 hops, now its 7.

Ping time for me still sucks. Averaging 9069ms IPv6 and 2.3ms for IPv4
for me today for some reason.

Its odd. Tracroute -6 takes 0.192ms for all 7 hops, yet ping -6 takes
over 9 seconds per ping.

--

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Dec 2015 02:24:05 -0000

>		        (www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net.)

The IETF website is handled through Cloudflare:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.ietf.org.			IN	AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.ietf.org.		632	IN	CNAME	www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net.
www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net.	300 IN AAAA 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:55
www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net.	300 IN AAAA 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155

For some reason, Cloudflare uses a block of IPv6 addresses from APNIC,
even though they are in California.  When I do a traceroute from my
cable modem in New York, it is two hops past an he.net router in New
York City and pings in about 40ms which tells me that the addresses
may be from Hong Kong but the servers are in San Francisco.

R's,
John

---

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:38:08 -0800

CloudFlare does anycast.  Where you go depends on where you are.

Regards,
-drc

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 6:24 PM, John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 15:59:09 +1300

> CloudFlare does anycast.  Where you go depends on where you are.

Just to rub that in: here I sit in my apartment in downtown Auckland,
and here is what I see:

C:\windows\system32>tracert www.ietf.org

Tracing route to www.ietf.org.cdn.cloudflare-dnssec.net [2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    11 ms     4 ms     2 ms  fritz.box [2406:e007:48f5:private bits]
  2    22 ms    32 ms    24 ms  2406:e000:2801:9::1
  3    14 ms     9 ms     9 ms  snap.ape.nzix.net [2001:7fa:4:c0cb::9a78]
  4     9 ms    15 ms    11 ms  cloudflare.ape.nzix.net [2001:7fa:4:c0cb::9a33]
  5     8 ms     9 ms     8 ms  2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155

Trace complete.

The Auckland Cloudflare POP is almost in line of sight.

   Brian

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:34:28 -0700

Getting weirder .. Maybe its time for me to start to understand IPv6
addresses. Its probably just getting IP's from other authorities as John
Levine pointed out.

Now a  Farsta-Stockholm, Sweden IP
(2001:2000:3080:54e::1 - sea-b1-link.telia.net) is in the traceroute...

However the ping time down from 9 seconds to 46ms.

So maybe someone is trying to fix things.

-- traceroute -6 www.ietf.org
traceroute to www.ietf.org (2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155), 30 hops max, 80
byte packets
 1  2602:b8:635c:e600:4e9e:ffff:fe20:e0a0
(2602:b8:635c:e600:4e9e:ffff:fe20:e0a0)  3.617 ms  3.599 ms  3.586 ms
 2  2602::205:171:3:250 (2602::205:171:3:250)  29.859 ms  29.861 ms
30.080 ms
 3  2001:428:0:1:205:171:11:21 (2001:428:0:1:205:171:11:21)  44.166 ms
44.124 ms  44.110 ms
 4  2001:428:0:1:205:171:0:70 (2001:428:0:1:205:171:0:70)  36.830 ms
36.823 ms  36.804 ms
 5  sea-b1-link.telia.net (2001:2000:3080:54e::1)  31.996 ms  31.985 ms
 31.971 ms
 6  cloudflare-ic-309909-sea-b1.c.telia.net (2001:2000:3080:c8e::2)
48.905 ms  46.427 ms  53.901 ms
 7  2400:cb00:28:1024::a29e:68b0 (2400:cb00:28:1024::a29e:68b0)  46.895
ms 2400:cb00:28:1024::a29e:68c8 (2400:cb00:28:1024::a29e:68c8)  46.333
ms 2400:cb00:28:1024::a29e:68b0 (2400:cb00:28:1024::a29e:68b0)  47.029 ms

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:39:34 -0700

Normal from Dallas TX:

traceroute to www.ietf.org (2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:155), 30 hops max, 80
byte packets
 1  2001:4800:7818:104::b (2001:4800:7818:104::b)  1.217 ms  1.184 ms
1.240 ms
 2  core9-aggr160b-8.dfw2.rackspace.net (2001:4800:800:c9:160b:8::)
1.707 ms core10-aggr160b-8.dfw2.rackspace.net
(2001:4800:800:c10:160b:8::)  1.669 ms
core9-aggr160b-8.dfw2.rackspace.net (2001:4800:800:c9:160b:8::)  1.658 ms
 3  2001:4800:800:cb:c10:: (2001:4800:800:cb:c10::)  3.698 ms
2001:4800:800:cb:c9:: (2001:4800:800:cb:c9::)  2.687 ms  2.953 ms
 4  2001:4800:800:dc1:ca:: (2001:4800:800:dc1:ca::)  3.257 ms  4.299 ms
 3.815 ms
 5  eq-dfw.rackspace.net (2001:504:0:5:0:3:6248:1)  5.061 ms  4.978 ms
4.543 ms
 6  xe-0-0-3.edge01.dfw01.as13335.net (2001:504:0:5:0:1:3335:1)  3.939
ms  3.940 ms  3.964 ms
 7  2400:cb00:15:1024::a29e:4498 (2400:cb00:15:1024::a29e:4498)  4.251
ms 2400:cb00:15:1024::6ca2:dc08 (2400:cb00:15:1024::6ca2:dc08)  4.061 ms
2400:cb00:15:1024::6ca2:dc8c (2400:cb00:15:1024::6ca2:dc8c)  3.542 ms

--