Subject: IESG telechat Gen-ART review of draft-harkins-salted-eap-pwd-06

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 21:45:00 -0400

Document: draft-harkins-salted-eap-pwd-06
Reviewer: Dale R. Worley
Review Date: 2016-09-05
IESG Telechat date: 2016-10-27

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft.  The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed by
the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Summary:  This draft is basically ready for publication, but has
possible nits that should be considered for fixing before publication.

Minor issues:

2.5.  Payload Modifications

The construction of the EAP-pwd-Commit/Request message limits the salt
to 255 octets, or 2040 bits.  This probably ought to be mentioned in
section 2.1 where the length of the salt is discussed.

Is there any reason to be concerned that 2040 bits will be inadequate
in the near-to-medium future?

Nits/editorial comments:

Abstract

   It included support for raw keys and RFC2751-style double
   hashing of a password but did not include support for salted
   passwords.

I believe that the reference to RFC 2751 is incorrect.  Probably what
is meant is RFC 2759 (see the reference thereto in RFC 5931).  In any
case, the referenced RFC should be listed as a reference.

1.1.  Background

   Databases of stored passwords present an attractive target for
   attack-- get access to the database, learn the passwords.

Normally, the spacing before and after "--" is the same.  There are
also examples of this in sections 2.1 and 5.  Perhaps discuss this
with the RFC Editor concerning the meaning the authors want to
associate with this punctuation.

2.1.  Password Pre-Processing

   o  TBD8: OpaqueString and a UNIX crypt() ([CRY])

Probably change "a UNIX crypt" to "UNIX crypt".

   o  TBD5: OpaqueString and a random salt with SHA-1 ([SHS])

For TBD5-TBD8, it might be clearer to say "OpaqueString and then ...",
as all of them have a two-phase structure.

5.  Security Considerations

   there is no dictionary attack needed to recover the plaintext
   password.

This is correct but doesn't emphasize the important point.  Perhaps

   since the plaintext password need not be recovered, no dictionary
   attack is needed

--

   While the immediate effect of such a compromise would be the
   compromised server,

I think changing "would be the compromised server" to "would be the
compromise of the server" would make this clearer.

Dale

---

From: Daniel Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:20:05 +0000

Hi Dale,

  I have posted an -07 of the draft that addresses all of your comments except 
the spacing after --. I'll leave that to the taste of the RFC editor. Sorry for the
delay but I was waiting on another reviewer's agreement on resolution of
his comments. Thanks for your patience.

  regards,

  Dan.