Subject: Call for IESG scribes

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 18:35:47 +0000

Starting in 2005, the IESG decided to have volunteers scribe narrative 
minutes of their telechats and publish these to the community.

The formal IESG telechats are open to the community. However, the scribes 
also cover informal telechats, IESG retreats, and IESG meetings during IETF 
weeks.

A number of Narrative Scribes have contributed their services over the years. 
In 2016 the active scribes include John Leslie, Susan Hares, and Carlos 
Pignataro. The total workload is currently more than three scribes can 
handle. Thus we are looking for at least one more scribe. (More than one
would be welcome.)

To understand the type of output that is expected please take a look at the 
narrative minutes that are posted at:

https://www.ietf.org/iesg/minutes/2016/index.html

The scribes help the community immensely by providing a historical record of 
the IESG conversation that promotes transparency. In this regard, there is a 
need for discretion, an understanding of what needs reporting to the
community and what does not. The scribes also gain an understanding of how 
the IESG works, and both Spencer Dawkins and Barry Leiba have found that 
understanding helpful as they transitioned to IESG members.

If you are interested in performing this role, please get in touch with me by 
October 31, and I will provide further details.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 14:30:56 -0400

Suresh said:
> The scribes also gain an understanding of how

I can say that first hand: I scribed from 2010 to 2012, and I found it
to be interesting and rewarding... and actually fun.  You get to be in
almost all of the IESG meetings, you get to know the ADs quite well...
and you get to hone your typing skills.  :-)

I heartily recommend it!

Barry

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 14:41:40 -0400

> and you get to hone your typing skills.  :-)

Now if scribes could also contribute/comment -- that would be really
interesting!

Lou

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 13:44:00 -0500

Since Barry mentioned his experience ...

> and you get to hone your typing skills.  :-)

I scribed for the IESG from 2006 to 2008, and didn't join the IESG until
2013, but I also found my experience useful background when I joined the
IAB in 2010, because the IAB has oversight over a bunch of things that the
IESG is also involved in (especially the Internet architecture, including
BOFs, and liaison with other SDOs, in my case).

> I heartily recommend it!

I'm glad I did it ...

Spencer